Bounce light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazegal

Sep 21, 2006
hi all

i don't have a dslr but from time to time,i have to use my co's camera eos300d with external flash 420EX for events. How do i learn how to bounce the light off? my latest event (held at nite) turned out horrible due to my inability in this skill...

hi all

i don't have a dslr but from time to time,i have to use my co's camera eos300d with external flash 420EX for events. How do i learn how to bounce the light off? my latest event (held at nite) turned out horrible due to my inability in this skill...

How to bounce? Just turn the flash head and point it at the surface that you want to bounce it off.

A couple of things to note:
1. Bouncing the flash cuts the flash maximum distance. Make sure your flash is powerful enough and have a high enough ISO.
2. Coloured surface may add colour cast to the bounced flash.

BC

Generally bounced flash should work ok unless the ceiling is very high. So make sure that the height to the ceiling is half the GN of your flash, which in your case, the ceiling should not be more than about 2m from the flash (roughly).

what about outdoor night events? such as arrival of GOH where split-seconds decisions are needed? how do i prepare for them? my company's cam's external flash only has a diffuser cap...

If you want to be safe, up the ISO to 800 and fire the flash direct.

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.