Bounce cards, omnibounce and built-in diffuser question

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

recently i bought a nikon speedlite SB600 which comes with a built in diffuser.

just a few questions here:

1. any difference between the built in diffuser and buy a stofen omnibounce ?

2. with omnibouce or built-in diffuser activated, can i direct the flash direct on the person's face or do i still point to ceilings/walls?

3. i read a website (directed there from another thread) that simply using a name card with rubberband round the external flash is not good bounce card method... (http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc004.html)
so where can i get a really good bounce card to achieve the correct bounce effect?

4. when to use omnibounce and when to use bounce cards?

sorry for so many questions, but no idea what to do using flash photography...
thanks in advance

if im not wrong the built in diffuser can be use together with a ommibouce dome....it cuts the the brightness of the light....i was testing with all the combinations last nite.... find that sb800 if shooting too near....with just a bounce card or ommibounce alone is too strong.... so i tried the bulitin + bounce card or ommibounce.... its better...esp in small hotel room.... but i find the the built diffuser not much help if work alone

just try & error lor.... same scenario try all kind of settings....lol....u will see the diff

i'm not sure whether this is true. however, a CSer once told me the built-in diffuser is not so much abt cutting the intensity of light, but to spread out the light when using a WA lens. dunno. i could be seriously mistaken as my flash is a sigma without any built-in diffuser. :dunno:

anyway, both bounce card and omni bounce got their different uses. based on my own usage, the card seems to be more suitable when taking grp pics. the omni is more suitable taking individuals, and must be used with the flash head tilted 45-deg for best results. homemade bounce cards, for me, tend to disintegrate after a while. dats why i went out and buy my own. :embrass:

erictan8888 - u can check out sykestang for his sale on the jusBounce card? or, i'm sure CP or other big photo shops shld carry cards made by companies like lumiquest etc... :)

erictan8888 said:
hi,

recently i bought a nikon speedlite SB600 which comes with a built in diffuser.

just a few questions here:

1. any difference between the built in diffuser and buy a stofen omnibounce ?

2. with omnibouce or built-in diffuser activated, can i direct the flash direct on the person's face or do i still point to ceilings/walls?

3. i read a website (directed there from another thread) that simply using a name card with rubberband round the external flash is not good bounce card method... (http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc004.html)
so where can i get a really good bounce card to achieve the correct bounce effect?

4. when to use omnibounce and when to use bounce cards?

sorry for so many questions, but no idea what to do using flash photography...
thanks in advance

1. The built-in diffuser does the job equally well as the stofen omnibounce. The built-in diffuser comes with something similar to a fresnel lens I believe is used to get extra "throw" distance for the flash since it is already diffused.

2. You can flash direct, it does a relatively good job of smoothening the flash and slightly softening resulting shadow casts.

3. For bounce cards, bigger is better. That said the built-in bounce card of the SBs are good enough if your subject is within a short distance. Corrugated plastic sheets make decent bounce card even though there is substantial light loss because the flash actuall penetrates through it. Make sure you get velcros with industrial strength adhesive on the back to go with it.

4. Use the omnibounce or similar gadget when the ceiling is relatively low and near white. Bounce cards OTOH are useful for almost all occasions.

CaeSiuM said:
1. The built-in diffuser does the job equally well as the stofen omnibounce. The built-in diffuser comes with something similar to a fresnel lens I believe is used to get extra "throw" distance for the flash since it is already diffused.

2. You can flash direct, it does a relatively good job of smoothening the flash and slightly softening resulting shadow casts.

3. For bounce cards, bigger is better. That said the built-in bounce card of the SBs are good enough if your subject is within a short distance. Corrugated plastic sheets make decent bounce card even though there is substantial light loss because the flash actuall penetrates through it. Make sure you get velcros with industrial strength adhesive on the back to go with it.

4. Use the omnibounce or similar gadget when the ceiling is relatively low and near white. Bounce cards OTOH are useful for almost all occasions.

1. Actually the built in diffuser is to cater for angles > 24mm which the flash goes up to. The omnibounce only softens the light from the flash. Different uses.

2. Do note the working distance however, else you will end up with overexposed/washed out subjects.

3. Not really bigger is better, light from the flash might not hit all parts of the bounce card. Just sufficient will do.

4. Omnibounce is for softening the light output, bounce card is to reflect the light towards the subject. Each has their uses. Omnibounce will cause the flash to output more power as the omnibounce will cut down some of the light output when used.

Status
Not open for further replies.