bounce card ; make or buy ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

raincool2005

Sep 10, 2005
Raffles Place
is it worth buying one ? :think: or just make and wrap an metal foil around it ?

is it worth buying one ? :think: or just make and wrap an metal foil around it ?

I've made one before on a white cardboard. But it didn't last very long after being abused in my bag. If you want a good lasting bounce card, go get the JusBounce card. Full piece of plastic, feels more solid and able to take more abuse in the bags and in use.

Metal foil?? Tat may be too harsh. Normally when you want to bounce the light, you use a white card so as to reduce the amount of harshness...

It is very easy to make a bounce card yourself, so why not just make one? Get those thick white cardboard, so they can withstand more abuse. Use either velcro or rubber band to hold it. I have been using my present DIY bounce card for more than 2 years, and it still looks fine.

I made one myself which serves the purpose and can last some abuse. Just buy a plastic A6 card holder (it cost me 80cents at a Harbourfront Bookshop) and put a thick piece (100gsm or more) of white paper inside. I use velcro to hold it in place to the speedlight. For effects, I can even put in yellow or other coloured cards to add some colour cast into the card holder.

I made one myself which serves the purpose and can last some abuse. Just buy a plastic A6 card holder (it cost me 80cents at a Harbourfront Bookshop) and put a thick piece (100gsm or more) of white paper inside. I use velcro to hold it in place to the speedlight. For effects, I can even put in yellow or other coloured cards to add some colour cast into the card holder.

A good idea. Go ahead and try them. After-all, you are the user.

wow.. u are smart.

ok.. i gg to make a good one this weekend.

To add on, I also find that DIY bounce cards do take longer and are more troublesome to mount/dismount. Personally I can live with that since i'm just an amateur ;)

what exactly is a bounce card (sorry very new to all this)

actually the plastic card holder is too reflective, so the resulting light will not be as soft as it should

experiment time:

mount camera on tripod and set camera to manual mode
make sure exposure and camera to subject distance does not change
take a shot with the plastic card holder/white paper
then take another shot with just the white paper (without the plastic card holder)

see the difference

actually the plastic card holder is too reflective, so the resulting light will not be as soft as it should

experiment time:

mount camera on tripod and set camera to manual mode
make sure exposure and camera to subject distance does not change
take a shot with the plastic card holder/white paper
then take another shot with just the white paper (without the plastic card holder)

see the difference

i think the glossy surface of plastic made the light more refective.
:sweatsm:

def. now that i see the picture i know what you all are talking about. diy would def. work for this.

To Add on, DIY cards, you determine the SIZE :bsmilie:. How BIG/ SMALL you wanna it to be, just cut and try

Just get pvc cardboard. Flexible and durable. Most bounce cards in the market are using similar stuff.
2nd this... arts friend have them... about $3+, enough to make 6 medium size bounce card.

Hi every one,

I just read about you guys talking on the bounce card, I also came across such problems like too reflective and sometimes too weak. In the end I came up with a full new design which I named it the Full Range Flash Diffuser. Why full range, because it can work effectively from 3ft to 15ft without harsh light on your subject's face. It is much better than a single white card. See below the diffuser fitted to a Nikon SB26 and 2 experiment photos.

DSC_0050_1.JPG

This picture below was taken with the diffuser fitted to a Nikon SB26 flash head and D80 body. The model was standing 4 meters away from the camera, it produced a very even light on the model's face without any harshness. The flash was set to A mode and the camera was set to F5.6 by 1/60 hand held.
DSC_0032_11.JPG

This picture below was using the same setting but the model was standing only 1 meter away from the camera, it also produced a very gentle lighting without any harshness.
DSC_0468_1.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.