Bought anything from Cash Convertors?

Did you buy any cameras at Cash Convertors?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

icer

Mar 15, 2004
West
www.icezworld.com
Just curious to know if anyone had bought any cameras stuff from Cash Convertors?

Just pass by one shop today and saw that they had quite a number of cameras there ranging from Canon, Minolta, Pentax, yashica etc. But dun have Nikon. :think:

Anyone bought anything good from them or are they just crap and lousy stuff?

don't trust the things sold there. read from quite a few local forums, people having bad experience with their purchase.

patch17 used to haunt those places. ;p U should ask him.

Drudkh said:
don't trust the things sold there. read from quite a few local forums, people having bad experience with their purchase.

Oh No............

Just bought 2 CDs from them!!

Haha.........okie lah, cheap stuff. Think it's a good place to look for old stuffs like CDs and VCDs and as they are cheap, so it's not much of a risk.
;p

Cash converters is like any other second hand shop ,some stuff is ok some is not.
Generally with photography stuff (cameras lenses flashes etc ) there should be someone in the shop who knows his gear , otherwise they could lose out badly .
The reason you dont find genuine good quality Nikon or any other camera kit laying about in these places is simple, if its good it goes very quick so if your not there you miss out .its also better if you can get someone who knows thier stuff to go with you if your not shure about something .

ps: I bought a 50 mm 1.7 Pentax Asahi smc k mount baynet fit lens
for my old ME Super in unused as new condition 10/10 quality for £30 uk sterling four years ago its a superb lens and was a definate bargain , the same for my sunpack T24 flash unit in very good condition for £9 bought at the same time.

foxtwo said:
patch17 used to haunt those places. ;p U should ask him.

i still do, but only now it's in Australia.

like any other 2nd, 3rd, 4th or whatever hand shop, it's really buyer beware. one has to be aware that some of these goods are really crap. so examine them closely, there are a few gems (minolta X-700 with a 50 1.4 for $90, 8/10 condition) and basket cases ($5 zorki totally stuffed and in dire need of TLC). so choose carefuly, take your time.

don't kid yourself thinking that'll you'll get a bargain everytime, i've had my share of clunkers now and then, but as a rule, i don't trust anything sold there that's over $100.

Never buy anything from cash convertors..but can it be trusted?

cds ok la....some old stuff really hard to find lo....and no point buyin new since its old....haha

photo stuff...better not....unless its dirt cheap.....the price in buy and sell here still better..

icer said:
Oh No............

Just bought 2 CDs from them!!

Haha.........okie lah, cheap stuff. Think it's a good place to look for old stuffs like CDs and VCDs and as they are cheap, so it's not much of a risk.
;p
maybe can buy those non-electrical stuffs. ;p

if u know dam well how to check it , than can buy...dont risk...

errmmm... actually, i just went and came back from jurong east cash converter. i was there to look for either an old EOS SLR body or a pentax AF lens for my wife. guess wat? i found a 9/10 condition, EF 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM, and a lowepro lens pouch.... going for $128! :bigeyes:

really! i kid u not. i asked the sales rep to lend me a EOS 88 to test on the spot. everything works perfectly, including the IS and USM motors. bought it on the spot and tested on my 300D just b4 i typed this. works like a charm! now i can shoot at 1/25 with IS, and my pic still comes out reasonably well! :D

actually, there are gems every now and then in such places. thing is that caveat emptor - buyer's beware. so, test things out throughly when u do want to buy. its just like in buy/sell, yahoo!auction or even HWZ classifieds. sometimes u get gems. sometimes, u get lemons. :dunno:

i saw this antique shop sign that goes something like "we buy junk and sell antiques. some fools buy, some fools sell."

i would have been very very tempted too if i can find a 28-135 IS USM for $128! in this case both the original lens seller and CC were fools so to speak. but all the better for the shopper...

CC do have some sort of warranty policy though of course it's no reason not to test the purchase before hand.

bought an iron 7 from cash converter near Parkway Parade for $7.
good condition....wack for sometime and left it to collect dust in the storeroom.

CC this kind of place, like i said, its buyer's beware. there are lemons and gems, if u take the time to sort them out. igpenguin, believe me! it really cost $128. and i was like, jaws dropped.... :eek: dats what i meant by gems among lemons. if u had a look at the condition of some of the lens, i won't even pay $1 for them. :bsmilie:

its just like also going to sungei road's thieves mkt on a weekend. like CC, the sellers will tell u they are not going to guarantee the working conditions of the goods u want to buy. its take it or leave it. i remember brett once told me he picked up a perfectly good condition vivitar 285 flash for like $5..... now, the flash is happily working as a slave/trigger flash in his studio! :bsmilie:

I ever sell a low end pentax power zoom lens to cash converter. Guess what.. when that guy tested my lens, he told me that the lens got some problem and said he smell something burnt.. :what: What the hell... I know he was boo **** and trying to lower down the price i quoted.. but any way at the end they still buy over the lens... :bsmilie:

My Friend Wanted To Sell Is Nikon 601 And Two Lenses, ....the Price They Gave...... We Rather Give It To A Newbie Who Wanted To Learn Photograghy Who Has No Money ..........

i oni buy non-photography items there.... dun dare to buy.... buy anyway i dun see much good stuff over there...as in good camera stuff....
maybe just not my luck... u guys can try the salvation army.... i once broght a spoil M6 over there.... physcial condition quite bad.... las if it went to WW2 b4.... soil all over..... anyway... i brought its for 50 bucks... i use it for my PnS..hahahha rugged camera..... ;p

nightwolf75 said:
guess wat? i found a 9/10 condition, EF 28-135mm/f3.5-5.6 IS USM, and a lowepro lens pouch.... going for $128! :bigeyes:

really! i kid u not. i asked the sales rep to lend me a EOS 88 to test on the spot. everything works perfectly, including the IS and USM motors. bought it on the spot and tested on my 300D just b4 i typed this. works like a charm! now i can shoot at 1/25 with IS, and my pic still comes out reasonably well! :D

wow that was a fantastic deal! - but if CC sells you at $128, I wonder what CC paid for the lens - probably $50 or so. The puzzling thing is that the owner of the lens is likely to be knowledgeable about it to even consider selling at such prices. Unless .. it was sold without his knowledge - perhaps the wife(or spouse) forcibly sold it

At these kind of prices, I wonder why CC is still so popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.