Boudoir

Nikonzen

Nov 3, 2014
Oklahoma, USA
Okay so I've met a couple of women who have opened a lingerie shop and I am going to shoot some stuff for them. Please tell me your thoughts about boudoir stuff. Hopefully I can share something with you bros soon...educate me please... :)

Last edited:
Contracts contracts contracts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good photographic challenge on the fine line between sensuality and voyeurism. If it doesn't work with human body you can still go back to your car bodies ;)

Thank you bros.

I've been reading up on the topic a bit and the biggest challenge I see is making the subject comfortable. Probably not going to be suited for this type of work but I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I am going to be looking at some of the stuff from my fellow CS'ers to get some ideas on posing them.

I gather another critical thing is to ask the subject what they see as their best 'assets' and things they'd like to avoid.

Last edited:
Thank you bros.

I've been reading up on the topic a bit and the biggest challenge I see is making the subject comfortable. Probably not going to be suited for this type of work but I am going to give it a shot anyway.

I am going to be looking at some of the stuff from my fellow CS'ers to get some ideas on posing them.

I gather another critical thing is to ask the subject what they see as their best 'assets' and things they'd like to avoid.

Jeff, you are a big boy, stop acting like like you don't know what you are doing:p ......and for goodness sake, some deemed assets often turn out to be liabilities .......... if you really don't know what you are gonna do, just act :cool: .....and if you can .......don't drool. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
As far as I understand your post,are you saying the shop owners want to be the models? If so you have the toughest job.A well known photographer said," All models CAN be subjects but not all subjects can be models" for obvious reasons.

Making subject comfortable is being confident of your skills and equipment
(not fumbling in front of model) but most importantly is building trust between model and photographer.In otherwords being professional in conduct as photographer vs model (No staring/oggling,touching or making improper comments of course you need to look but assure them it's because you need to see the best angle and what light model looks good in for a certain look).Don't belittle yourself if you put effort you can do it, not a big deal just common sense.

Wrong.Never. The women themselves are not the best judge.Only you the photographer seeing through the viewfinder and experience is what matters.Plus good hair stylist and makeup artist.There are other stuff but get the basics right first.

Please understand the difference between boudoir and lingerie.
Boudoir is a genre or type of photography which is ALWAYS about the model or subject or woman.

Lingerie is a product. Technically you are shooting product photography
in a boudoir setting which is akin to fashion photography.One has emphasis on the woman and the other a product.POsing IS different! Just see fashion poses it does not emphasise the model who is only a clothes hanger.

Your biggest challenge is lighting.What kind of ambience do the clients want,
who are the target audience.These are some of the things that you will encounter.

Thanks a million Jack that is the sort of guidance I am after.

I will likely shoot both owners but the main deal is models modeling products which the ladies are going to hang in the shop.

I just moved back to the city a couple months ago and so far it has been quite an experience! ;)

Thanks a million Jack that is the sort of guidance I am after.

I will likely shoot both owners but the main deal is models modeling products which the ladies are going to hang in the shop.

I just moved back to the city a couple months ago and so far it has been quite an experience! ;)

You can take the easy way by shooting like a catalog bright lighting with seamless paper background or better yet if the owners can let you shoot in their homes,garden,bedroom,living room,kitchen or even bathroom. it will give a cosy ambience (do caution the owners to not tempt models by letting expensive items lying around) or shoot outdoors I'm sure over there you have good isolated locations like nature or abandoned wharehouse or factories but do take note if you need permission as it's considered trespassing.Also have a lookout just in case of curious passerbys or cops.But seriously I think owners would want to save money so home option is best.Auto ttl flash can save your butt with a little exposure compensation and you will look pro.Use off camera with radio triggers.Just need to know the basic poses as in portraiture. The lighting should bring out details of the lingerie like colour,texture
and shape.Of course people will suggest for softer light shoot with window light but sometimes the timing may not be right or suitable.One way is to use a powerful hotshoe flash like a nikon that can zoom up to 200mm and shoot trough a diffusion panel placed outside the window or use el cheapo manual yougnuo YN660 also up to 200mm.;)

If you want the real boudoir kind of standard I suggest you take a workshop with one of the experts in your country.If you can't afford the fees then read their books. Checkout Rolondo Gomez.:thumbsup:

Last edited: