Bose 3-2-1 system... anyone has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi fellow CSers,

Was wondering if anyone of you guys have this 2.1 speakers system from Bose. Currently have my coming to 3 year old Pioneer 5.1 front surround system that does not have surround capabilities at all cos i got no proper walls to bounce the sound! :sweat:

Also, not intending to run cables to the back for the proper 5.1 setup...messy and waste money... so looking for the best fit front speaker system that can simulate surround effect.

Came across this 321 series and the GS 321 series. Anyone can comment on them if you have it?

Thanks a mil!

Also if you have better systems in mind, also open to suggestions, thanks! ;)

Maybe I'm bias, but I'll avoid anything from Bose as I feel they are overpriced.

However you can take a look at KEF KIT 100. It is a 2.1 speaker system that can produce pseudo surround sound from multichannel sources.

Maybe I'm bias, but I'll avoid anything from Bose as I feel they are overpriced.

However you can take a look at KEF KIT 100. It is a 2.1 speaker system that can produce pseudo surround sound from multichannel sources.

Ya had that impression on bose but now they are having trade in promo. Originally over 2K system, its now abt $1.8K! Was also looking at the KEF KIT100. It is also over $2k and it needs walls to bounce..

If you aren't too fussy about having to own top quality speakers, need a speaker system with small footprints, or just prefers simplicity rather than component system that sounds better but costing more and takes up more space...the Bose 2.1 system is quite OK I guess. It's probably best for people who aren't too budget-constrained, but aren't willing to spend top dollars either. I've found that most of my friends who bought Bose are the type of people who don't want to go through comparing specs of and testing various receivers, amps, DVD players, and speakers when buying a home theater system.

Sound-wise, I think they are decent, but some people say they sound like crap though. I definitely noticed that they tend to be too bright and boomy, especially at louder volumes. FYI I am no expert in home audio, but I have listened to other systems that sound much better than the Bose. However, most of them are much bigger in size and tend to be more expensive. But the Bose isn't cheap either.

Actually, I did my research... in Adelphi ;) Saw the KEF KIT100 thought it was decent but more expensive than the Bose system and yet it required walls to achieve the surround effect.

Can the Denon system simulate surround sound effect? But if you mentioned that it is worse off then the KEF, then i'll pass.

Is there any other 2.1 system that can simulate surround sound effect?

The Denon S301 can simulate surround sound, and it is more like a HTIB. In terms of functionability, it is better than the KEF KIT100. It can play DVD, DVD-A, SACD and HDMI output. Soundwise I have only sample it once at Audio House, so it is not conclusive. I just feel that the KEF has slightly better kick, but it could due to acoustic also. But I definitely feel the Denon is better value than Bose.

As for bouncing off the wall, I'm not sure, but I am under the impression that you'll require walls to simulate surround from 2 speakers.

The Denon S301 can simulate surround sound, and it is more like a HTIB. In terms of functionability, it is better than the KEF KIT100. It can play DVD, DVD-A, SACD and HDMI output. Soundwise I have only sample it once at Audio House, so it is not conclusive. I just feel that the KEF has slightly better kick, but it could due to acoustic also. But I definitely feel the Denon is better value than Bose.

As for bouncing off the wall, I'm not sure, but I am under the impression that you'll require walls to simulate surround from 2 speakers.

Not for bose! ;)

I have BOSE system surround sound with 5 single cube speakers (with Adapt IQ)

Sound wise is "so so," only , i guess a few things is missing from my house;
as compare to hearing them at the showroom :

1) No special sound insulation wall install at my place

2) No thick curtain to retent the sound

3) No special cable use

4) And others ?

But i bought because of the acoustic design and small cube size speakers
(Easier to blend into my house)

Hopes that helps :)

how abt JVC? i m impressed w/ d higher end wood cone mini compo. buy addition subwoofer and replace d speaker cables & interconnects 4 optimal sound quality. :think:

i think Best Denki at Taka selling tt set for $1199.

Thanks guys for all your replies and suggestions. My main criteria for the system in decending order of priority is:

1) Clean setup without the hassle of laying messy cables but at the same time able to achieve surround sound effect NOT just Stereo
2) Cost
3) Cosmetics

So far only bose and KEF boasts of virtual surround capability But KEF requires walls to bounce and costs more. Bose 321 boasts of its capability of achieving what 5 speaker systems can achieve without need for walls and costs less than KEF.

Is the choice simple then? Or is there a better system out there that meets the above requirements?

One thing about buying Bose is somehow in this internet age, they have a very BAD rep. Dunno leh, just post anywhere, people say Bose bad so if you buy Bose and invite your HT friends over, kind of embarassing as you look like a HT newbie who got conned by Bose Marketing machine.

Personally I never auditioned Bose due to the above reason, too much of a bad rep.

Fwah... that chia lat ah... tot Bose is suppose to be a luxury item ;p

Good morning.

Hi. Was browsing through this site when I came across your interesting topic. Maybe you can consider the Yamaha YSP 1000, or its smaller brother, the YSP 800. Installation is easy, no visible messy wire, will blend perfectly if you are using plasma or LCD wall mounted TV. Setup is more simple with their propriety Intellibeam. However, the 5.1 surround sound is stimulately reproduced through its 42 individual drivers encased in a single, elegant component. Supports all compatible decoding formats, i.e, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby digital, to name a few. Price range should be $1999 and $1399 respectively.
You can refer to Yamaha website for pictures and specifications.

Just my 20cents worth :) .

Fwah... that chia lat ah... tot Bose is suppose to be a luxury item ;p

Only to the mass consumer;) It is a luxury item in term of looks and price. Discerning audiophiles may have different opinion.:bsmilie:

My father has a Bose system that costs him $3k+ a few years back. While it sounds better than the usual Sony, Philip etc, I certainly feel that his money could have been better spent. Too bad he bought it when I was working oversea.

Good morning.

Hi. Was browsing through this site when I came across your interesting topic. Maybe you can consider the Yamaha YSP 1000, or its smaller brother, the YSP 800. Installation is easy, no visible messy wire, will blend perfectly if you are using plasma or LCD wall mounted TV. Setup is more simple with their propriety Intellibeam. However, the 5.1 surround sound is stimulately reproduced through its 42 individual drivers encased in a single, elegant component. Supports all compatible decoding formats, i.e, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby digital, to name a few. Price range should be $1999 and $1399 respectively.
You can refer to Yamaha website for pictures and specifications.

Just my 20cents worth :) .

Thanks for the suggestion. But how does this sound when there is no sub woofer? Is the price in SGD and where can I test it?

Thanks for the suggestion. But how does this sound when there is no sub woofer? Is the price in SGD and where can I test it?

Sorry, Bro. Forget to mention. A separate Yamaha subwoofer is also available. Model YST-FSW100, recommended slim subwoofer for the YSP 1000 or YSP 800.

And yes, the price is in SGD $. You can test drive the unit in a few locations, e.g, the Courts Megastore at Tampines, Audiohouse at Liang Court, Big Safe Superstore at Harbourfront and Harvey Norman at The Millenia Walk, to name a few. They have this special sound room whereby you can test the unit to your heart's content.

Wa... look like there are ppl who dislike Bose.. I like their sound thou. But, it got to depend whether what type of sound you are looking for. And therefore, never ever compare what you heard from showroom and your house. This is because of the acoustic treatment. And also, this goes to your cabling too. I do not mean by Bose only but various. ;)

Anyway, I do not know about speaker thou, but I will got for Cambridge Audio Amplifier. woot!! Wu la la when I heard the impact ;)

Just my 2 shutter worth. keke

Wa... look like there are ppl who dislike Bose.. I like their sound thou. But, it got to depend whether what type of sound you are looking for. And therefore, never ever compare what you heard from showroom and your house. This is because of the acoustic treatment. And also, this goes to your cabling too. I do not mean by Bose only but various. ;)

Anyway, I do not know about speaker thou, but I will got for Cambridge Audio Amplifier. woot!! Wu la la when I heard the impact ;)

Just my 2 shutter worth. keke

Thanks josho... Getting individual pieces together is fun but I not audiophile la... trying the match the speakers with the amps is another headache and money-ache :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.