Bose 3-2-1 system... anyone has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again.

Maybe you would like to drop-by at The Adelphi?

A number of specialized audio shops down there. Some of them are more than willing to offer their professional advise on basic audio system setup, depending on your budget :thumbsup:
They are also selling amps separately at a reasonable price.

Currently, I am also contemplating on the audio setup for my new home. I've narrow down on 2 systems, Yamaha and Onkyo. While Yamaha amps excel in clarity, Onkyo amps pack more punch. And coupled with Jamo speakers, man, you can blow the house down.

By the way, there's a Onkyo HTIB (Home Theatre In a Box) model HT-S990 going at around $1599 at Best Denki Tampines. The first THX certified HTIB. But be warned of the speakers size though. One drop on your head can send you straight to seven heaven....:bsmilie:

HA... have been dropping by Adelphi for the past few days during lunch times! ;p

Anyways, any recommendations which DVD movie title is best suit to test out surround effect??

Hi fellow CSers,

Was wondering if anyone of you guys have this 2.1 speakers system from Bose. Currently have my coming to 3 year old Pioneer 5.1 front surround system that does not have surround capabilities at all cos i got no proper walls to bounce the sound! :sweat:

Also, not intending to run cables to the back for the proper 5.1 setup...messy and waste money... so looking for the best fit front speaker system that can simulate surround effect.

Came across this 321 series and the GS 321 series. Anyone can comment on them if you have it?

Thanks a mil!
I have this system for my bedroom (bought 2 years already) for the following reasons:
1. small footprint
2. no messy cables
3. putting 4 speakers at 4 corners of the room not feasible
4. don't want a big system sitting in my bedroom
5. i use it primarily for music though this system is for HT. I still have not bought my TV to hook up :bsmilie:
6. i am not an audiophile and can only discern between bad and good sound. good and very good still can a bit. but very good and very very good, chao yi lang
7. within budget

Based on 2 years of listening to it, it is still good sound for my ears. You do get the surround sound without it having to bounce off walls or what. Good for jazz, easy listening music. A bit too boomy when playing rock. Of course it sounds better in the soundroom but quality is not too much affected when in my bedroom.

You can't compare this system with those individual pieces. I played this demo disc (cannot remember what it is called but it is the latest kind of disc whereby you get the soul of LP but in CD form) on my father in-law's system (big standing speakers, MacIntosh player and dunno what amplier, altogether at least 5 figure sum, and the disc performed beautifully. Impressed by the clarity and depth of the disc. Solid. Brought the disc back home and played on Bose, cannot make it.

But if you are not an audiophile and want an integrated system with minimal hassle, I think not a bad choice lah if your reasons are similar to mine.

Good morning.

Hi. Was browsing through this site when I came across your interesting topic. Maybe you can consider the Yamaha YSP 1000, or its smaller brother, the YSP 800. Installation is easy, no visible messy wire, will blend perfectly if you are using plasma or LCD wall mounted TV. Setup is more simple with their propriety Intellibeam. However, the 5.1 surround sound is stimulately reproduced through its 42 individual drivers encased in a single, elegant component. Supports all compatible decoding formats, i.e, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby digital, to name a few. Price range should be $1999 and $1399 respectively.
You can refer to Yamaha website for pictures and specifications.

Just my 20cents worth :) .
There was one time I was in Audio House in Liang Court and Yahama was selling this integrated speaker. Tested it. Cannot make it big time. :thumbsd: No clarity and depth in the sound. Salesman only know how to blast it out loud loud. I turn down the volume and I get muffled sound. Maybe it is just that demo set but I walk out after 2 min listening to it.

But don't take my word for it. Go listen to it before you buy anything. You may like what I don't like and vice versa.

HA... have been dropping by Adelphi for the past few days during lunch times! ;p

Anyways, any recommendations which DVD movie title is best suit to test out surround effect??
The opening sequence for Saving Private Ryan? Bullets flying all over. Bombs. Screaming men with arms blown off.

THanks for the suggested DVD. Any other recommendations?

Wen down Audio house Liang Court and tested the YSP 1000... cannot make it IMO... ;p

Sadly i should say - audio house doesn't have the proper facilities or placment to test out the YSP series of speakers.

Maybe you can try Merdeka or some other bigger shops that have a proper listening room to try out.

I'd avoid Bose at all costs...

Sadly i should say - audio house doesn't have the proper facilities or placment to test out the YSP series of speakers.

Maybe you can try Merdeka or some other bigger shops that have a proper listening room to try out.

I'd avoid Bose at all costs...

Why lei?

Agree with you guys generally for bose as a brand itself. But as far as 2.1 virtual surround systems are concerned, you guys really think the yamaha 1000 is better than the 321 series?

Hi again.

With regards to the Yamaha YSP 1000, or its little brother YSP 800, I would not say that it is better than the other. The surround sound that is produced by the DSP chip, together with its 42 drivers, is stimulately reproduced. Your brains are made to think that the sound produced are similar to that of a 5.1 system. Of course, nothing beats the sound that come from a true 5.1 or even a 7.1 system. But if you are looking into a system that is not a hassle to setup, with messy and unsightly cables, IMHO, the Yamaha YSP can certainly carries itself.

P.S I am NOT a YAMAHA audio products promoter or neither I, in any way, affliated to them :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

By the way, Bro, just getting a bit technical here. Was told that, generally, satellite speakers, those small cubic speakers, be it the Bose, Jamo or any other brands, are suited for high frequency sound. Mostly good for audio listening, e.g, unplugged music, concerts, symphony. Those floor standing speakers, or tallboys, as they are sometimes known, covers more frequency range, mostly the mid to low range. They can handle the bomb blasts, the machine gun fires, the rocket blasts.... yes, the movie surround experience. So it also helps to know what are your listening preferences. Just like buying lenses, you have to know your shooting preferences, macro, zoom or wide...:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Agree with you guys generally for bose as a brand itself. But as far as 2.1 virtual surround systems are concerned, you guys really think the yamaha 1000 is better than the 321 series?

:confused: ... hold on a sec... are you after a:

1. HT system
2. Pure stereo 2.1 system

Which one? One cannot co-exist in the other. That's my POV. Unless you go for separates.

As for yamaha ... i love their DSP as they're proprietary and designed in house.

What i feel is that the YSP should be coupled with a good sub and IT SHOULD excel.

Good subs also come @ a cost (Psst... any SVS fan boys here? :bsmilie:) ... The sub they pair the YSP series with IMO .. really CMI.

1. HT system

Which one? One cannot co-exist in the other. That's my POV. Unless you go for separates.

As for yamaha ... i love their DSP as they're proprietary and designed in house.

What i feel is that the YSP should be coupled with a good sub and IT SHOULD excel.

Good subs also come @ a cost (Psst... any SVS fan boys here? :bsmilie:) ... The sub they pair the YSP series with IMO .. really CMI.

As mentioned first in my thread, I looking for 2.1 system for movies that can simulate 5.1 surround without the hassle of wiring speakers to the back. Music will be a bonus.

Yes YSR with the sub-woofer that comes w it CMI and it is already $2k!

1. HT system

SVS... yup they're really solid... imagine feeling the rumble of the movies

for demo DVD, I like Finding Nemo, the pellican scene (surround effects) which leads to the fish tank tapping scene (SUPER bass).

Status
Not open for further replies.