and I have to hand my camera over to either
a stranger or someone who knows nuts about
SLRs [I hate it when that happens, feel so
kan cheong tho' it's only for a while]

if I buy a tripod, it'll prob be a low-end one
[$50 and below]

if borrow ... where to borrow from, ah?

thanks

if your gear is light and you're looking at a tripod for below $50, you can get a pretty decent Slik or Velbon for that price range. no need to borrow... think it's not worth the hassle...

Unless you have a good friend that has a tripo to lend to you as and wehn you need it... It will be too troublesoem anyway. have to meet up to borrow. and meet up t return...

Look out for a used tripod if you dun need it in a hurry. There is one or two good offer if you are patient enuff.

Agree that it's better to get your own tripod, even if you shoot during the day time. I always use a tripod when I'm shooting landscapes, after all using a tripod takes out the hand-held factor that may potentially contribute to a "blur" image. If you have light gear then a light tripod may be had for a low price.

Personally I would get a sturdy tripod with a good ballhead right away, especially if you forsee yourself getting heavier equipment in future. Getting a good tripod saves you the cost of subsequent upgrades if you start with a so-called flimsy tripod. For example, I started out with a light camera body and a cheap "consumer" zoom lens so I got away with a $20 tripod. Then I purchased "prosumer" lens and found that the 1st tripod couldn't support the new equipment so I got a SLIK U8000 for around $80. Then still later I got an F4 and some of f2.8 lens and found that the SLIK was buckling under the weight, so I bit the bullet and shelved out $300++ for a Manfrotto tripod and ballhead. Now I have no more worries even if someone should give me an AF-S 80-200 or AF-S 300 ;p

So save up for a good tripod.

andrew

a good tripod is not a lot to pay for the conveniece (you won't need to borrow, beg or steal) n it really improves your pics (in sharpness wise, esp with long lens, night shots and close up). and a good one will last for yearssss.....

somehow, i get the feeling that people often underrate the usefulness of tripods.....

so I got a SLIK U8000 for around $80

might consider getting this

what max. height should I be looking for?
I'm 1.65m

checked out the SLIK website, max height for most is about 1.5m - that ok?

thanks

Originally posted by Juvelyn

I'm 1.65m

thanks

Join us all @ SEED tomorrow. :)

I'm sure more than a few of us would be more than happy to offer our counsel or advise you which/what tripod to get. :)

Originally posted by Juvelyn

I'm 1.65m

thanks

if u r going SEED tomorrow then i'll bring the manfrotto to let you play with it. I'd seriously recommend this one to you, if you get the tripod and pan/tilt head, it's about $150 new, the ballhead would be better, no idea of the cost

andrew

can't make it for SEED though

I'll drop by CP and some other shops, test out various tripods before making a decision

thanks for your offer

Originally posted by kh_drew

if u r going SEED tomorrow then i'll bring the manfrotto to let you play with it. I'd seriously recommend this one to you, if you get the tripod and pan/tilt head, it's about $150 new, the ballhead would be better, no idea of the cost

andrew

VEry interested @ the tripod you mentioned.. what model number is it? Got a picture?

Originally posted by SniperD

VEry interested @ the tripod you mentioned.. what model number is it? Got a picture?

Don't have a pic, but it's the Manfrotto 190DB with a 141RC pan/tilt. In the States it's also known as the Bogen 3001, don't know the model of the pan/tilt in the States though. Try searching for it on the web. The 141RC comes with an oblong quick release plate. Personally I prefer ballheads as it allows greater flexibility and there're no handles like the pan/tilt that pokes into your back while you carry it.

andrew

Originally posted by kh_drew

Don't have a pic, but it's the Manfrotto 190DB with a 141RC pan/tilt. In the States it's also known as the Bogen 3001, don't know the model of the pan/tilt in the States though. Try searching for it on the web. The 141RC comes with an oblong quick release plate. Personally I prefer ballheads as it allows greater flexibility and there're no handles like the pan/tilt that pokes into your back while you carry it.

andrew

Yup...

Thats the same tripod that I'm using.

Relatively sturdy for normal telephoto lenses, but a little heavy for ladies even with the tripod sling if you need to move around with it for long periods of time.

:dent:

Originally posted by breezeY
What is recommended for ladies ?

I should think the SLIK U8000 is pretty light, one of my female friend who shoots carries it.

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.