Borobudur and Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

waileong

Deregistered
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

Going to Borobudur over the Deepavali weekend. Any idea if flash is needed for photography inside the temple complex? In other words, is it very dark inside?

Other than the usual landscape shots, what type of lens would be needed to get pics of the carvings and etchings? Can we get real close up? Or would I need a long macro lens?

Lastly, any other photo tips appreciated!

Wai Leong

waileong said:
Hi,

Going to Borobudur over the Deepavali weekend. Any idea if flash is needed for photography inside the temple complex? In other words, is it very dark inside?

Other than the usual landscape shots, what type of lens would be needed to get pics of the carvings and etchings? Can we get real close up? Or would I need a long macro lens?

Wai Leong

It depends on what you want to take. The temple is very complexed so I guess it's safer if you bring a flash. If I remember correctly, you can get pretty close to external carvings and sketchings. Unless you're planning to take shots of those covered by stone. Nevertheless, Borobudur is a rather difficult place to describe, that's what makes it so unique! So I would suggest you bring whatever accessories u will need. Just my 2 cents.

waileong said:
Hi,

Wai Leong
Borobudur is amazingly photogenic. Suggest you get there BY sunrise - the surrounding area will still be misty and the light will be fantastic. Wide angle lenses & a tripod wld be v useful; the carvings and etchings are quite large (eg. 1 x 1 metre) so its unlikely you need a true macro lens. There isn't much of an "inside" to the temple (it is just one single large structure) but no harm bringing a flash if you already have one.

The nearby hindu temples at Prambanan are also v nice but try not to go during midday cos the light wld just be too harsh for photos.

waileong said:
Hi,

Wai Leong

for Borobudur case, there is no room (passage) that you can go inside, everything is in the temple itslelf is open air. The best time to go there is 5.50 pm (but must ask the officer for you to stay longer then its opening hours) or early morning 5.10 am for sunrise.

I prefer to go in weekdays not in weekend, weekend is too crowed, hard to get good pictures. Anyway, Deepavali is not a public holiday for indonesia.

rgds,
Andre

Yup...
u must try to get into the complex for the sunrise....
nice misty shots of Mt. Merapi in the distance...

74654892ocTwsJ_ph.jpg

Hopefully will be able to post some great pixs when I return!

Just an addition and take this with a pinch of salt:

If you are going to Prambanan as a couple, please take note that there is a myth that the couple will brake up after the visit. Maybe try to enquire around the people there first on this.

Have a nice photoshoot ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.