Born Into Brothels screening July 23 and 30th

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampthing

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
The Oscar award-winning documentary Born Into Brothels will be screening at Singapore History Museum on July 23rd and 30th, 5 pm. The film is a powerful testament of the power of photography to change lives.

poster.jpg

Born into Brothels, by Ross Kauffman and Zana Briski, is the winner of the 77th annual Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. A tribute to the resiliency of childhood and the restorative power of art, Born into Brothels is a portrait of several unforgettable children who live in the red light district of Calcutta, where their mothers work as prostitutes. Zana Briski, a New York-based photographer, gives each of the children a camera and teaches them to look at the world with new eyes.

The photographs taken by the children in Born into Brothels are available for purchase in the Kids' Gallery, and as a signed limited-edition portfolio, or as a compilation in our companion book. 100% of proceeds from print sales go directly to support the children's education.

Critical Praise:

"Anyone who has ever thought that documentaries lack the emotional impact, drama or sheer movie-going pleasure of fiction films will likely change their mind after seeing Born into Brothels ... this is a work of art so deep and resonant that it puts most narrative films to shame."
- James Greenberg, Hollywood Reporter

“This is the kind of film that reminds you of what movies, at their best, are capable of.” – Boston Globe

"Heroism can come in subtle forms. This is one of them."
-- Desson Thomson, WASHINGTON POST

"Zana Briski's documentary about children growing up in Calcutta's rough and squalid red light district is moving, charming and sad."
-- A.O. Scott, NEW YORK TIMES

"Beautifully filmed, and devoid of the kind of patronizing beneficence that First Worlders often bring to the Third World."
-- Steven Rea, PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER

"This is the harsh reality that London-born, New York-based photographer Zana Briski captures in her documentary Born into Brothels. Yet what lingers is not the difficulty of the children's lives, but their resilience, wisdom, humour and talent."
-- Gabriella Coslovich, The Age

"Juror Mark Salisbury summed it up well in a statement: "Seeing the film is a life-changing experience. It has re-set my life's barometer. The things I moan about now pale into insignificance."
-- Wendy Mitchell, indieWIRE.com

The website for the film is located here:
http://kids-with-cameras.org

Tickets will be sold from The Substation by end of the week. Watch here for announcements.

This screening is organised by the Singapore Film Society and is part of Indigo, the Indian Film Festival. More details here:
http://www.sfs.org.sg/index.php?module=article&view=57

Just call up substation but they are not aware of the film. I am very interetsted to watch this film. Please update me. Thank

Hi Nicholas,
Tickets will be on sale shortly. We're preparing them and the box office staff are unaware of it presently.
Thanks for the interest. We'll let you know when tickets go on sale, most likely Wednesday.Will definitely let Clubsnappers know.

Regards,
Dave

Thank. Please let me know and I will be there.

Tickets are now available from The Substation. Their box office is open Mon-Fri 12 noon to 830 pm. Tickets are priced at $10.

Note that the screening venue is SHM at Riverside Point, near Clarke Quay. The site near YMCA/SMU is currently being renovated.

Are tickets available at the door? (coz' The Substation is some distance from Clarke Quay.)

Or is there any way we can order online with credit card and collect tickets at the door?

Zookeeper said:
Are tickets available at the door? (coz' The Substation is some distance from Clarke Quay.)

Or is there any way we can order online with credit card and collect tickets at the door?

If there are unsold tickets they will be available at the door an hour before the screening. (4 pm on 23rd and 30th at SHM Riverside Point)

Unfortunately we can't take credit card bookings. Sorry about that.

swampthing said:
If there are unsold tickets they will be available at the door an hour before the screening. (4 pm on 23rd and 30th at SHM Riverside Point)

Unfortunately we can't take credit card bookings. Sorry about that.

Thank you swampthing (i feel a little strange calling someone that... :sweat: )
Will try and see if I get a friend to pop by Substation for me then.

Thanks for the support Zookeeper. Hope you enjoy the movie.

-El Swampo- ;)

In response to some queries, SHM is currently at Riverside Point, located here, NOT next to YMCA. It's only moving back to the old location next year.

The Substation is here.

The movie is rated NC-16 (Crude Language). Personally, I thought it should be PG, but that's my take.

Bought tickets for me and my friends, it looks like tickets are going fast for the 23 Jul screening!

Full house tonight (except for some seats for sponsors that weren't collected). Thanks for the support.

Only about 60 seats left for screening on 30th.

The 5 pm screening for the 30th has sold out. An additional screening has been added for 3 pm on Saturday.

hi Swamp

How long is the show. I want to rush to one fullerton to join my family for the firework.

Status
Not open for further replies.