Borders Nearing Bankruptcy

that's sad.........

used to go there, nice place to spend quiet time there.....

Still got that Japanese bookstore at Nee Ang…

Service there had always been a problem, the staff ignores when you call for them and the info counter is always unmanned. Kinokuniya's service is so much better, friendly and efficient. Maybe that has something to do with the survival of the book stores

Service there had always been a problem, the staff ignores when you call for them and the info counter is always unmanned. Kinokuniya's service is so much better, friendly and efficient. Maybe that has something to do with the survival of the book stores

precisely. plus Kinokuniya caters not only to only the english-speaking crowd, but also cater for those who want to read publications in various languages.

plus border's prices are like higher than normal.

and when you factor in demographics and what region you're in and who your customers are, it does make sense where people would rather purchase their books and magazines.

Oh no... looks like i had better use up my Border's gift voucher before the stores close down and it becomes useless...

It's a wake up call to stop browsing and start buying! Get ur ass of the comfy couch and start queuing! :bsmilie:

EXACTLY !
they dropped customers service, customers dropped them.

it will be interesting if there is a poll to see the average spending on books/ magazines. people that buy out of interest and not because school say must buy.
i last bought books on photography to read way back 4 years, now i just borrow from library.

Still remember the movie "You've Got Mail", starring Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks? Where small bookshops close because of mega ones. Maybe time for them to make another movie "You've Got Mail 2" on how the mightly have fallen.

I have seen MPH lost its charm after closing from Stamford Place, besides the old National Library. I used to love the old Times Bookshop at Centrepoint and I was a member for many years. I have never quite understand the long ques at Kinokuniya Taka at closing time and found many gems near the lift at the Liang Court one. I bought lots of US magazines from Borders but I think modeling it after the library with lots of seats at the beginning can't work in Asia. After all that, I rediscovered our NLB - I can get new books and tonnes of magazines. Its free some more if you borrow within the limits.

Having said all these, I still enjoy the occasion visit to a bookstore. I recently found an indie bookshop at Tanglin. Nice, and not crowded with enough titles not to confuse you. Yeah, I don't buy enough at bookstores nowadays. I borrow more.

Border books are overpriced. Nowadays I bought in bulk from Amazon. With all those shipping fee, its still cheaper. And recently I just bought e-books. Cheap and fast.
But its sad that places like these are closing. Its where people who love book meets. :cry:

1) use up all the borders vouchers u have
2) don't buy any borders vouchers

:)

that's the library dude.

bookstores are just cliched settings for romance novels and rom-coms.

Its different la.. they are not book lovers.. but students :bsmilie::bsmilie:
And you can't talk freely in there. A very different atmosphere overall.. have you been to Orchard Borders ?
Its very lively there compared to NLB which I just visited this afternoon :bigeyes:

Its different la.. they are not book lovers.. but students :bsmilie::bsmilie:
And you can't talk freely in there. A very different atmosphere overall.. have you been to Orchard Borders ?
Its very lively there compared to NLB which I just visited this afternoon :bigeyes:

LOL. yes i've been there. the problem with the place is that the staff do not enforce the policy of sitting there to read.

being a bookstore, it's noisy... but with patrons treating it like a read-and-go place...

I think the BORDERS name should remain.

But the seats must GO and the customer service must be OVERHAUL and IMPROVED.

;p

Should limit browsing as well, most of the books and magazines are not in sellable condition after being browsed by selfish readers. Should also train their staffs to love books, saw them throwing magazines on the floor when arranging the magazines, wonder who is going to buy them after that.