Borderless printing 4x6 with i865 and Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Hi, anybody have any idea why my photo is always croped when printing borderless??

i made sure that my canvas/image size is exactly 2:3 ratio @ 300 dpi,
1800pix x 1200pix.

At my "print screen"
Position = top 0
left 0
Scale 100%
Height = 4inch
width = 6inch

Printer Driver Setup
Quality = standard

Page setup
Page size 4 by 6
Orientation = landscape
borderless printing = checked
extension slider = all the way to the left.

looking at the preview screen just before printing,
it looks like it is going to be a perfect print,
but during print, there is a slight (say 2 mm) white line(border) from the side of the photo that comes out first, and a similar size crop at the ending side of the photo.
Not to mention, there is about a <1mm white (border) on the right hand side of the (lenght wise) photo.

I made sure my layer is exactly at the center, using the center/top left registration point during scaling to be precise.

Using Canon Glossy Photo Paper with original ink here.

mpenza said:
misalignment of the printhead?
Not too sure about that, but the print head had been aligned just yesterday (got the printer yesterday).

Can anybody care to share how you all print borderless prints? what to lookout for and etc.
Just incase there is something i missed out.

Did you all use the "borderless slider? in the printer driver? "

most printer vendors have limitations on what they can print borderless. they limit the paper type, size and print modes. if you violate any, you will not get true borderless prints.

i suspect your quality=standard setting is the problem. set it to best mode.

I used this printer before, just select borderless & 4x6 inches, u will get that.
try again

Raptor1 said:
Hi, anybody have any idea why my photo is always croped when printing borderless??

i made sure that my canvas/image size is exactly 2:3 ratio @ 300 dpi,
1800pix x 1600pix.

At my "print screen"
Position = top 0
left 0
Scale 100%
Height = 4inch
width = 6inch

Printer Driver Setup
Quality = standard

Page setup
Page size 4 by 6
Orientation = landscape
borderless printing = checked
extension slider = all the way to the left.

looking at the preview screen just before printing,
it looks like it is going to be a perfect print,
but during print, there is a slight (say 2 mm) white line(border) from the side of the photo that comes out first, and a similar size crop at the ending side of the photo.
Not to mention, there is about a <1mm white (border) on the right hand side of the (lenght wise) photo.

I made sure my layer is exactly at the center, using the center/top left registration point during scaling to be precise.

Using Canon Glossy Photo Paper with original ink here.

maddog said:
most printer vendors have limitations on what they can print borderless. they limit the paper type, size and print modes. if you violate any, you will not get true borderless prints.

i suspect your quality=standard setting is the problem. set it to best mode.

I set it to high mode already, still the same :(

Argh -wasted 6 photo prints already.. :S

digistar said:
I used this printer before, just select borderless & 4x6 inches, u will get that.
try again

Huh?
if you mean setting via the printer driver, i did that already.

Well, i can get borderless if i allow croping.. but i didnt want that to happen.

Just use the Canon Easy Photoprint software that comes with your printer and you will never have any problem printing borderless photos.

tomcat said:
Just use the Canon Easy Photoprint software that comes with your printer and you will never have any problem printing borderless photos.

hmmz.. but it has croping.. :(

my normally i dun mind abit of croping, but with my photo .. the guy will lose his fingers.. so.. =X

Raptor1 said:
...i made sure that my canvas/image size is exactly 2:3 ratio @ 300 dpi,
1800pix x 1600pix........

hmmmmm... 1800 pix * 1600 isn't 3:2 ..... maybe this is why you are not getting the image printed in the ratio without cropping? 1800*1200 pixels would be 3:2.

Hi Raptor,

The issue here is definitely the aspect ratio. Because the ratio of your length vs width of the image is different from that of the printing paper, you will end up with either of the following situation:

1) white border on 2 sides (either the lengths or widths)

or

2) full borderless image but with slight cropping (on either lengths or widths)

Think about it... it's simple mathematics. There's no way any printer of any brand can fit the image into paper of different aspect ratio without distorting the image. Personally I go for the borderless option for my images, since the cropping is slight. As what Tomcat says, you can use the EasyPhoto Print software included for easy borderless photo printing. I understand your image has some crucial elements (i.e the fingers) at the edge, but you'd have to make a choice here. My advice is not to shoot too tight, so you'd have some flexibility here.

Maddog, I feel that your comment that "Canon is crap" is uncalled for.

There is a workaround for this problem.
I noticed that in borderless printing of a image of dimensions HxW, the printer will crop away 0.03H on top and bottom and 0.03W on both sides.

So after cropping the image to 3:2 ratio. the canvas size should be increased to 1.06H x 1.07W. This would create a final image with a white border which would be cropped off when printed borderless leaving the original image intact.

ok, will try that.
Anyway, may i know what is your settings for the printer driver side??
i am quite concern on the slider, where should i put it at?

ok, will try that.
Anyway, may i know what is your settings for the printer driver side??
i am quite concern on the slider, where should i put it at?

Btw, the "1.06H x 1.07W" is measurement via percentage or pixels or mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.