Books to read on Serious Photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zibin83

May 26, 2006
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi, I am new to the world of photography and i would like to go into serious photography. But i am not sure of the technical terms of photography. e.g. Shutter Speed, Apeture, ISO & how a DSLR works. Could anyone recommend me to buy a must buy photography book to understand photography better?

Regards
Zibin

No offence, but based on yr needs, virtually any book with the word "photography" and "beginner" will suit u fine. That works out to about 50% of the titles out there so take yr pick!

All of the beginner-oriented books harp on the same basic stuff so I don't see why one title should stand out from the rest.

Come back when u have more specific needs, ie still life, macros etc. For those, there are quite a few titles that stand out from the crowd and are worth recommending.

solarii said:
No offence, but based on yr needs, virtually any book with the word "photography" and "beginner" will suit u fine. That works out to about 50% of the titles out there so take yr pick!

All of the beginner-oriented books harp on the same basic stuff so I don't see why one title should stand out from the rest.

Come back when u have more specific needs, ie still life, macros etc. For those, there are quite a few titles that stand out from the crowd and are worth recommending.

Hi Solarii,
Thank you for your reply in my thread. Will go and have a look @ the library

Regards
Zibin

zibin83 said:
Hi Solarii,
Thank you for your reply in my thread. Will go and have a look @ the library

Regards
Zibin

Good choice. Try the regional libraries instead of the smaller community ones... better selection.

zibin83 said:
Hi, I am new to the world of photography and i would like to go into serious photography. But i am not sure of the technical terms of photography. e.g. Shutter Speed, Apeture, ISO & how a DSLR works. Could anyone recommend me to buy a must buy photography book to understand photography better?

Regards
Zibin

Hi,

You could probably try this first: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Aperture_Photography_Fundamentals.pdf

Hope it helps.

theres some good selection of books at the jurong east lib & the main lib @ bugis. worth to check it out.

Yups, or even some libraries in schools. I frequent the one at NgeeAnn Poly, and some really teach alot of stuff.

wanhjb said:
Yups, or even some libraries in schools. I frequent the one at NgeeAnn Poly, and some really teach alot of stuff.

hehe yeah, forgot about that. i know the SP main library has stacks of photography magazines.

wanhjb said:

Hi Wanhjb,
I already out of school for years i can't go to any schools to borrow right?:bsmilie:

Regards
Zibin

zibin83 said:

Regards
Zibin

There are quite a few good books available. Some of the recommended one are:

1. Understanding Digital Photography by Bryan Peterson
2. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
3. Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson

Can try Riceball Photography Bookstore

#B1-38, The Adelphi
1 Coleman Street,
Singapre 179803
Tel/Fax 63367076
Mon-Sat 11am-7pm

If not, simply talk to the shopowner and he will be able to recommend some good books for beginners.

Hi there,

Welcome to the world of Photography :)

I can recommend this book - "National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures".

It explains all the concepts that you would need to know in order to take good pictures.

There are several chapters covering - landscape, portrait, macro, underwater, action photography, night scenes etc. I have bought this book as a gift to a few friends when they decided to take up photography.

I hope that you will find it useful too.

The Photographic Guide to Exposure by Chris Weston - Good read too. :)

zibin83 said:
Hi Wanhjb,
I already out of school for years i can't go to any schools to borrow right?:bsmilie:

Regards
Zibin

No problem in clubsnap. Just ask around and I'm sure someone would lend you some books. I haven't even reached the age that I can go to the libraries in poly but I got "lobang" so other people get for me. Ask around, sure got people willing to lend you thier books.:thumbsup:

asterixsg said:
Hi there,

Welcome to the world of Photography :)

I can recommend this book - "National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures".

It explains all the concepts that you would need to know in order to take good pictures.

There are several chapters covering - landscape, portrait, macro, underwater, action photography, night scenes etc. I have bought this book as a gift to a few friends when they decided to take up photography.

I hope that you will find it useful too.

Yeah...I jus loan this book from NLB...not bad :thumbsup:

Thanks for your information on sourcing the books, its been a great help, i bet will help me decide on which brand of DSLR to take

zibin83 said:
Thanks for your information on sourcing the books, its been a great help, i bet will help me decide on which brand of DSLR to take

That path you must choose carefully... its not easy to change later on...

Status
Not open for further replies.