Books (Print) for newbies on photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

defn

Sep 20, 2003
Can anyone recommend some books? I saw this Dummies guide to Digital photography, which contains 7 books in one or so i heard, $40+... Can anyone recommend any other books?

Get one of the national geographic field guides

Icic... how much does this cost? and where to get?

I find John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide very good for beginners too. It has all the basics (how to count stops, manual exposure with spot metering, sunny16 rule, composition, etc.), and even if you are not interested in nature photography, it is still worth reading. Highly recommended. It is sold at Borders for $48.99, but you can mail order it from Amazon for a cheaper price. :)

Is the Amazon prices generally cheaper than Singapore bookstores?

I am eyeing a book on Amazon at the moment.

ziploc said:
I find John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide very good for beginners too. It has all the basics (how to count stops, manual exposure with spot metering, sunny16 rule, composition, etc.), and even if you are not interested in nature photography, it is still worth reading. Highly recommended. It is sold at Borders for $48.99, but you can mail order it from Amazon for a cheaper price. :)

Borders! haha... I'll probably read through the whole book before buying it :D

wormz777 said:

Well I guess it depends on the book I guess... If it's distributed here then it's probably cheaper in bookstores, unless amazon is having some sale or sth... If it's those imported books then I guessu have to check out.

wormz777 said:

Which book is this?

Based on my experience, there are two ways to get a book that is typically not found on the shelves of bookstores in Singapore. The first would be to place an order for the book, either through Kinokuniya or Borders. Second way would be via www.acmabooks.com.

If the cost via Amazon is much more competitive, the application of exchange rate and shipping cost normally reduces or altogether removes the cost advantage. Also, I have seen special offers in the local bookstores that effectively makes the cost of the book cheaper here. All said, I would normally try out the local bookstores or Acmabooks before I resort to Amazon.

2 other titles you can try:

Complete Photography Manual (published by Readers' Digest)

Kodak Guide to 35mm Photography

me still learning the basics of photography, and so far i have these 2 books which i think would be a very good starting point

1) National Geographic Field Guide 2nd Edition: Secrets to making great pictures.
2) Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson

personally, think reading (1) has already helped my composition skills a lot, as well as improve my technique .... i'm still reading (2)

darrelchia said:
me still learning the basics of photography, and so far i have these 2 books which i think would be a very good starting point

1) National Geographic Field Guide 2nd Edition: Secrets to making great pictures.
2) Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson

personally, think reading (1) has already helped my composition skills a lot, as well as improve my technique .... i'm still reading (2)

may I know where to get (1) and roughly how much?

Kinokuniya has them, but they are more expensive (at least $10++ more) than ordering from Amazon.

Try to look for second hand bookstore...I bought a couple of books many years ago at Far East Plaza. $20 for an encyclopedia size book. From the 80's. Dunno whether they are still there or not. The books teaches composition of pictures, so digital or film, the book is still applicable.

Michael Langford's 35mm handbook. about S$35+ (i think)

Thanks all! Seems like I'll be getting the Nat Geo guide soon :D

Anw What do you all think of dummies books?

Status
Not open for further replies.