Books on Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chooel

Oct 16, 2002
Whampoa
Visit site
Hi, was wondering if anyone can recommend any good books on photography to help me improve my skills?

Thanks in advanced! ;)

i found lots of good books in tamasek poly library, to get a membership, the annual fee is about S$200.

I think National Library carries quite a good collection. Though spread all over the place, you can reserve the books and have them delivered to a branch near you, at a small cost.

Check out www.elibraryhub.com

Anyway, depends on what you want to learn/read. You could follow this 'workflow' I have:

1. go to Amazon.com, search keywords like "photography animals landscape" etc.
2. click on some of the books found, read their user reviews, or see what similar books there are. Or what other books some of these people are also reading. Identify certain highly rated books. Be sure to read the reviews, not just the stars.
3. search for the book(s) in the library.
4. reserve/borrow them.
5. And don't forget to read the books.

Voila, research made easy and fun.

-ptl-

hmm off hand i can think of is the "National Geographic guide to photography" Quite a nice book tells u abt how to take different types of pictures and also the techinical things like exposure, aperture and so on.

Kodak books usually are quite gd too

heard that these 2 books are pretty good. both are regarding the topic of composition.

Learning to See Creatively - Bryan Peterson
Image : Designing an Effective Picture - Michael Freeman

sadly the 2nd book is out of print and i don't think it's available in our National Library. will be checking out the 1st book tomorrow either at the library or at Borders ;)

Thanks for all your replies. I'll definitely check out all the titles and methods and libraries mentioned.
:cool:

Originally posted by cd.
i found lots of good books in tamasek poly library, to get a membership, the annual fee is about S$200.

why is it so ridiculosly expensive ?

Both the National Geographic Field Guide and Kodak's Guide to 35mm Photography (ISBN 0-87985-801-X) are great all-round books. They give general overviews for light, focus and composition.

If you're looking for a technical guide, check out Kodak's Professional Photoguide (ISBN 0-87985-798-6). This book is full of exposure settings, shutter/aperture ratios, depth of field calculations, etc.

These books also include sample settings for difficult lighting situations, such as fireworks, campfiles, etc.

I think u need to tell us more on what type of photography u r doing.

If u want general photography book that covers ALL type of photography, then the National Geographic Field Guide is good. It touches BRIEFLY on generally all basic of photography.

If u like nature photo, try John Shaw's Close up of Nature, or The Field Guide to Nature Photography.

If u like bird, Arthur Morris The Art of Bird Photography.

If u like mountain, Galen Rowell Mountain Light is the best.

As for wildlife...I am not so sure...

I try to avoid those "general" type of photography books, as this information can be browsed in the net easily. I prefer books that go deeper into a topic.

Originally posted by avatarzero
heard that these 2 books are pretty good. both are regarding the topic of composition.

Learning to See Creatively - Bryan Peterson
This one is available at the Nat'l Lib, and it's good!

Besides the books, the libraries also have magazines which I find good sources of advice and info.

Hi, does anyone know where to find the book "The Manual of Photography, 9th Edition"? It's also known as "The Ilford Manual of Photography". National Library has it, but it's only on reference.

regards,
SouthPaw
pawprint.gif

How bout books on portrait, commercial and fashion photography?

Perhaps smthing that discusses more on the reason and ideas before deciding a shoot. not on technigque

But suggestion on technical books are welcome too.

Status
Not open for further replies.