bomb shelters in HDB flats - how do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
the new HDB flats all come with bomb shelters. The new home owners I spoke to don't seem to know how they work, neither do i! How do they protect against a supposed bomb attack?

And I understand they are not to be modified or anything like that... but can they be used as a store room?

there is a instruction pasted on the bomb shelter door, flat owner not suppose to remove it. Go and read you will know how to use the bomb shelters.

The way the HDB bomb shelters is supposed to work, when the whole building gets bombed, what will be left standing is that THIN column of bomb shelters extending from the first story all the way to the 24th story.

lol

It is a place to keep unwanted bombs.:bsmilie:

to me, the bomb shelter is a one-room apartment within an apartment. after what's left of the block after the bombing, you still have your apartment but minus all facilities. it's a no-frills apartment :bsmilie:

To me, the bomb shelters r built-in coffins for ease of collection of your remains after the bomb attack...

some of my friends not sure when they got their brand new flats. no instructions pasted yet or anything like dat. so far we've all been living in the older HDB flats without b. shelters.

yes, i did hear when there is a bomb attack, when everything crumbles, the column stands firm. I dunno if its a joke or for real?! So the occupants in such a scenario will wait for a helicopter to rescue them? Those on the very high floors will get a panoramic view of what's left around them?!

some of my friends not sure when they got their brand new flats. no instructions pasted yet or anything like dat. so far we've all been living in the older HDB flats without b. shelters.

yes, i did hear when there is a bomb attack, when everything crumbles, the column stands firm. I dunno if its a joke or for real?! So the occupants in such a scenario will wait for a helicopter to rescue them? Those on the very high floors will get a panoramic view of what's left around them?!

just curious David do you limp in your left leg? :p

Yep, thats the joke going around when HDB wanted to build bomb shelters. Ask yourself however, how in the world can a thin column like that stand after a bomb attack, and stand all the way to the 24th story.

Your point on rescue is also valid.

Yep, thats the joke going around when HDB wanted to build bomb shelters. Ask yourself however, how in the world can a thin column like that stand after a bomb attack, and stand all the way to the 24th story.

Your point on rescue is also valid.

hmm, actually its akin to the 'hdb' at mandai and some church/temples...

u live, u stay in cubicles, u die, u also stay in cubicles...

the shelter only make it easier for them to put into cubicles...

That's when you have to wait for Lift Upgrading Program :0)

and it cost $20,000? :dunno:

thanks flipfreak.

oic, i think i have a rough idea now what the "bomb" or "house" shelter is for... More like for war time when the enemy has gained access into the flat or there are some terror attacks? (not of the 9/11 or missile type cos that type sure no chance of survival!)

i tink it is a joke when they say only a column is left when the rest is destroyed!

The second document mainly talks about how to maintain the shelter and what not to do - I don't see any remarks on how it will "save your ass one day".

It appears that the dcouments in HDB no longer describe it as a bomb shelter, but an emergency shelter. In that case, it isn't a bomb shelter as much often described, but at best, a mere panic room.

Status
Not open for further replies.