Bokey ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

digipat2003

Aug 13, 2004
Hi guys, anyone can adivse what is mean by "bokey" ? saw this several times in the forum but dont understand what it means. tks :)

The term is "Bokeh" and it refers to the background blur when you shoot with the aperture wide open... like this

33481663.jpg

Terence said:
The term is "Bokeh" and it refers to the background blur when you shoot with the aperture wide open... like this

33481663.jpg

no no .... the background blur is caused by what we would call depth of field.

"Bokeh describes the rendition of out-of-focus points of light."

quoted from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm. Read this article for more information. It give a pretty good description of bokeh, as well as what is good and bad bokeh.

there is a common misunderstanding / confusion between depth of field and bokeh

darrelchia said:

quoted from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm

bokeh or more correctly boke is the subjective quality of the rendition of all out of focus areas. Not just highlights.

Yes, there is indeed a general confusion between bokeh and shallow DOF.

Ahh, that's interesting, we all learn something new everyday.

darrelchia said:

quoted from http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/bokeh.htm. Read this article for more information. It give a pretty good description of bokeh, as well as what is good and bad bokeh.

tks darrelchia, still abit confuse :D but at least me got a good idea :). Also tks to gooseberry for providing the link :)

is good to learn something new everyday; at least it shows that i am still alive :bsmilie:

Terence said:

33481663.jpg

just trying to understand, no offence i hope :D , from the picture terence provide, i presume that is a bad bokeh :think:

digipat2003 said:
just trying to understand, no offence i hope :D , from the picture terence provide, i presume that is a bad bokeh :think:

Hehe, I'd be interested to know too... this has been an enlightening subject although I must admit the 2 articles are not that easy to understand.

Terence said:
Hehe, I'd be interested to know too... this has been an enlightening subject although I must admit the 2 articles are not that easy to understand.

This is good bokeh lah..

Terence said:
Technically doesn't look too bad, just that the red, white and black background make for uneasy viewing, sort of "hellish" if you know what I mean. ;) YMMV

dkw said:
Technically doesn't look too bad, just that the red, white and black background make for uneasy viewing, sort of "hellish" if you know what I mean. ;) YMMV

How ironic, "hellish"... this shot was taken during a chuch service :bsmilie:

I think this shot might give an example of what shallow DoF is. The lips and sari strap are in focus but just about everything behind it is a little soft. I think my misconception lies with the fact that bokeh was achieved through shooting wide open.

34075287.jpg

haohan said:
This is good bokeh lah..

overall i think is good bokeh, but the white spot on the right hand top let me think is bad bokeh, "according to the description i interpret from the link, dont know whehter is it correct or not :bsmilie: ", so i am confused :dunno:

Terence said:
How ironic, "hellish"... this shot was taken during a chuch service :bsmilie:

Ouch! :embrass: :embrass: :embrass: Me bad......

Terence said:
I think this shot might give an example of what shallow DoF is. The lips and sari strap are in focus but just about everything behind it is a little soft. I think my misconception lies with the fact that bokeh was achieved through shooting wide open.

34075287.jpg

You take good pictures but why am I seeing that you seems does not pay attention to the eyes. In most of your pics that I had seen, the eyes does not seems to be in focus?! :think:

digipat2003 said:

wait till you see the 50mm F1.8 bokeh.. rally bad :(

XXX Boy said:
You take good pictures but why am I seeing that you seems does not pay attention to the eyes. In most of your pics that I had seen, the eyes does not seems to be in focus?! :think:

Is it? I usually try to focus around the face but shooting wide open u need to be really spot on to get the eyes in focus.

I put up that shot as an example of what can go wrong when shooting wide open. I wouldn't have put it up otherwise as I don't think it's well shot at all.

Terence said:
Is it? I usually try to focus around the face but shooting wide open u need to be really spot on to get the eyes in focus.

I put up that shot as an example of what can go wrong when shooting wide open. I wouldn't have put it up otherwise as I don't think it's well shot at all.

It is just how I feel about your pics, tats all. You dun really have to take it too seriously.
And also pls dun let your ego haunt you.

Status
Not open for further replies.