'Bokeh' of soviet made Arsat 50mm/f2

Status
Not open for further replies.

timothychanzl

Oct 5, 2006
ec6b78af.jpg

'Bokeh' of the Arsat 50mm/f2 on Canon 20D.
Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.

9.jpg

A show of hands. Who likes the bokeh ?

ec6b78af.jpg

Excellent companion to the Canon DSLRs which generally leans toward lower contrast and sharpness to suit colour images. Excellent for wedding pictures ! The bokeh adds a thrill doesn't it. I'm still apalled at the exorbitant prices of Canon lenses for the 'plapt' they deliver. L lenses ? Oh please. Only problem with them is that its not worth the money.

9.jpg

I actually prefer the one on my 50/1.4. Frankly though, I'd take a 50/1.8 plastic-fantastic over a 3rd party MF lens anytime. AF made the biggest difference to photography, in my opinion, and subsequently the digital format. It does to mine at least.

I don't really like it either. It sort of drew my attention to the 'bokeh' instead of the main subject. Found that uncomfortable.

Stoned - care to post some pictures taken with your 50/1.4 ? Yes i agree AF is damn useful for buying time. I'll use that when time is a critical factor in capturing the shot.

haha. you seem to be a basher of Canon L lenses I wonder why.

Most photog need AF for their shooting requirements. Not many photogs sit around shooting a bowl of vegetable or tomatoes.

[IMG]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/45/307/400/9.jpg

Stoned - care to post some pictures taken with your 50/1.4 ? Yes i agree AF is damn useful for buying time. I'll use that when time is a critical factor in capturing the shot.

Well actually, not really. I don't shoot to test bokeh, though I do have shots from my 50/1.4 that exhibit a shallow DOF, and hence display the bokeh. Neither do I think you should buy lenses because of bokeh. I generally find discussions about photography more stimulating rather than discussions over equipment.

I most certainly wouldn't post images to look at the bokeh under critique corner, possibly under some tech talk subforum.

I bash 'L' lenses simply because they are exorbitantly priced.

Maybe you can recommend some good NOT-overpriced lenses but on par with L lenses performance for us? (Must have AF since it is popular and also for fairer comparison)

I bash 'L' lenses simply because they are exorbitantly priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.