Bokeh lens

I'm using D90 and happy with 50mm 1.8D. Only find it too tight at times. 35mm will be better for crop bodies. This is my feel. YOu can try with your kits lens with the maximum zoom. I get bokeh with max zoom on my 18-105mm too.

Last edited:
Hi all.. I'm current on d7000 with 18-55 and I wish to take bokeh shots what are the recommend lens
There are no bokeh shots. If you refer to images with blurred background (= out of focus) please read up the basics of Depth of Field and use your existing lens.

Octarine said:
There are no bokeh shots. If you refer to images with blurred background (= out of focus) please read up the basics of Depth of Field and use your existing lens.

So any lens will do the trick?

50mm f1.2. :devil:

stop poisoning people!

any lens can get you that Out-of-Focus effect that you desire. but how nice that OOF area is mostly depends on your lens and how it's been constructed.

how strong the OOF effect is, depends on your f-stop, distance from subject, distance of subject from background and focal length

200mm f2 :heart:

bokeh shots of what? Human? toys? bugs?

Poisonous comments.. btw TS.. read your manuals and practice your with Kit lens.. You dont need another lens for Bokeh..

Poisonous comments.. btw TS.. read your manuals and practice your with Kit lens.. You dont need another lens for Bokeh..

And all lenses have bokeh. As for thin depth of field, that depends on the lens and/or basic technique.

get 17-50mm f2.8

All lens have some degree of blur when taken at big aperture, it is only if you like that quality of blur.

For example with your current kit lens, at 55mm should a subject at f/5.6 and make sure the background is very far like > 50m from that subject. And you will get bokeh butyou have to determine if you like that bokeh.

If you like creamy bokeh, then 85mm f/1.4D (no G for me to test) are known for that. The best bokeh I have seen so far are on 200mm f/2.0 VR1or2 but this is my preference.

Hi all.. I'm current on d7000 with 18-55 and I wish to take bokeh shots what are the recommend lens

why don't you start with a 50mm f/1.8 (or f/1.4 if you have higher budget)? These are the cheapest "bokeh" lens you can start with.

seriously everyone's recommending lenses that mighttttt be probably outta TS' budget