Bokeh friendly len

alwaysthere

Jun 3, 2008
Hi all,

Im a noob + newbie so trying to get some help.

I gave up waiting for SLR Rev in getting me my pre-order of K-x Kit II (email, fb ignored, call say no idea, wait lor) :dunno:

Soooo.... I bought a stnd kit instead of waiting, figured the bigger len can wait.

I practice, read, practice, read, practice, read for the past few nights but only managed 3 acceptable bokeh shots out of my 100+...

Read through CS thread on bokeh and also googled but could nt find one specifically for k-x kit len, is it because its not suitable given the aperture is only at f3.5 max?

Being a newbie to DSLR, should I try out M lens since I saw a few at BnS quite reasonably priced.

Thanks!:D

First thing's first, i think u've already known that the aperture, focal length, subject distance from the camera, and subject distance from the background are the 4 main things that affect production of bokeh
but of course theres also the sensor size but i figured since u're already with kx, that shouldnt matter so much

ok, the f/3.5 is somewhat of a limit for producing bokeh but it's not exactly impossible, just that with lenses like FA 50 which has f/1.4 will make things much easier..

note i havent ventured into dslr photography yet but i've managed to produce acceptable bokeh with compacts with max aperture of f/3.5 and f/2.8 (i think the camera models arent that important)

generally, the rule is to use max aperture, longer focal length(zooming in), close subject distance from camera, and far subject distance from background
those are the things that help to produce a small depth of field.

a couple of samples i made with compacts (sorry to mod/admin cos these arent shot with pentax cams, i hope it's ok.)

P1000106.jpg

P1000168.jpg

P1010662.jpg

IMG_6251.jpg

P1010835-1.jpg

and then here's a pretty comprehensive video tutorial for production of bokeh

[youtube]aAxJRF73vwc[/youtube]

note: hope it helps and feel free to correct me, all the pentax seniors~

Last edited:
First thing's first, i think u've already known that the aperture, focal length, subject distance from the camera, and subject distance from the background are the 4 main things that affect production of bokeh
but of course theres also the sensor size but i figured since u're already with kx, that shouldnt matter so much

ok, the f/3.5 is somewhat of a limit for producing bokeh but it's not exactly impossible, just that with lenses like FA 50 which has f/1.4 will make things much easier..

note i havent ventured into dslr photography yet but i've managed to produce acceptable bokeh with compacts with max aperture of f/3.5 and f/2.8 (i think the camera models arent that important)

generally, the rule is to use max aperture, longer focal length(zooming in), close subject distance from camera, and far subject distance from background
those are the things that help to produce a small depth of field.

a couple of samples i made with compacts (sorry to mod/admin cos these arent shot with pentax cams, i hope it's ok.)

P1000106.jpg

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You put some dslr owners to shame. :bsmilie:

Hi all,

Im a noob + newbie so trying to get some help.

I gave up waiting for SLR Rev in getting me my pre-order of K-x Kit II (email, fb ignored, call say no idea, wait lor) :dunno:

Soooo.... I bought a stnd kit instead of waiting, figured the bigger len can wait.

I practice, read, practice, read, practice, read for the past few nights but only managed 3 acceptable bokeh shots out of my 100+...

Read through CS thread on bokeh and also googled but could nt find one specifically for k-x kit len, is it because its not suitable given the aperture is only at f3.5 max?

Being a newbie to DSLR, should I try out M lens since I saw a few at BnS quite reasonably priced.

Thanks!:D

1 lens
2 or more lenses
No such word as len or lense:nono:

You might wanna get the 50mm f2 to try:)

evolutioner - great shots! and thanks for the video too.

cleonbus - Did not really dwell upon the grammar but nevertheless, appreciates the gesture. So should i get an autofocus 50mm f2.0 (hope it does not cost a hand and/or a leg) or a manual one?

evolutioner - great shots! and thanks for the video too.

cleonbus - Did not really dwell upon the grammar but nevertheless, appreciates the gesture. So should i get an autofocus 50mm f2.0 (hope it does not cost a hand and/or a leg) or a manual one?

I don't think there's a 50mm f2.0 AF lens at the moment.

I would suggest you to get the manual one first to try as the price of a AF 50mm is very high in my opinion. If you feel that the 50mm is the range you like to shoot in, you can then buy the FA50 f1.4 by then.

Or u can also upgrade yr kit lens to maybe either Tammy 17-50 f2.8 or da*16-50 f2.8
f2.8 can achieve quite good bokeh too