Not open for further replies.

chech01

Feb 23, 2009
any thread out there already have such info that I can go to? thanks

Just bought a D90 cos I think bokeh shots are cool

Hey, check tis site out -> check here.

I've tried it out and it actually works, it's damn cute. However u need a lens with large aperture though, i'm using 50mm f1.8 for tis shot.

DSC_0060.jpg

Last edited:
You can feed the term 'bokeh' into the search engine of this site. You should have ample time to read it all :)

bokeh is basically the amount of DOF in a photo. or rather, in layman's terms, the blur blur background. haha.

bokeh is basically the amount of DOF in a photo. or rather, in layman's terms, the blur blur background. haha.

Bokeh is the term used to describe the quality of background blur in a photo, not how blur (OOF) it is. Don't mix up Shallow DOF with Bokeh.

Cheers,
JD

Don't try to define things if you don't know what it is.

Bokeh is the *quality* of the out-of focus areas. NOT the amount.

Bokeh is the term used to describe the quality of background blur in a photo, not how blur (OOF) it is. Don't mix up Shallow DOF with Bokeh.

Cheers,
JD

Don't try to define things if you don't know what it is.

Bokeh is the *quality* of the out-of focus areas. NOT the amount.

oh wow. you learn something new everyday. thanks for clearing my misconception. :sweatsm:

easiest way to play now if u r with kit lens i think is zoom all the way to 105, then set A to 5.6, select centre pt focus, then aim and shot... u shld get bokeh shots... but make sure ur subject and far away from the background...

Yes I understand that. Since the rest already explained that, I thought it would be nice to share on how they can explore more with bokeh. :)

easiest way to play now if u r with kit lens i think is zoom all the way to 105, then set A to 5.6, select centre pt focus, then aim and shot... u shld get bokeh shots... but make sure ur subject and far away from the background...

My attempt with my 18-105 lens on a D90 is not so hot. Maybe I am too close to subject or my background is not too contrasting.

This is what I did:
a. Turn off auto focus to manual
b. settings was at A
c. Tried with f3.5
d. result was not as dramatic as what some others posted

anyone using the same equipment as mine and can give me some pointers to how they achieve it?

Thanks

if you can set your aperture to be f/3.5, that means you're at the widest focal length of 18mm.
At that setting, you can't achieve a narrow enough depth of field to get nice out of focus background.
So you need to zoom to the max 105mm (which corresponds to f/5.6), aim at an object nearby, and make sure that the distance between yourself and the object is MUCH less than the distance from the object to the background.

EXAMPLE:

You (cameraman) ------- Friend (subject) ------------------------------------------ Building (background)
<-----------3m--------------->|<----------------------------300m--------------------------->|

Last edited:
if you can set your aperture to be f/3.5, that means you're at the widest focal length of 18mm.
At that setting, you can't achieve a narrow enough depth of field to get nice out of focus background.
So you need to zoom to the max 105mm (which corresponds to f/5.6), aim at an object nearby, and make sure that the distance between yourself and the object is MUCH less than the distance from the object to the background.

EXAMPLE:

You (cameraman) ------- Friend (subject) ------------------------------------------ Building (background)
<-----------3m--------------->|<----------------------------300m--------------------------->|

thanks for the tip. I will try this out later. Hopefully I get a good bokeh else my investment on the new camera would be a waste cos my reason for a D90 was due to bokeh.

thanks for the tip. I will try this out later. Hopefully I get a good bokeh else my investment on the new camera would be a waste cos my reason for a D90 was due to bokeh.

Actually, the bokeh would be more due to the lens than your camera. That being said, it's quite a narrow approach to get a camera/lens/accessory just for bokeh. There is more to photography than that.

As mentioned before, that's more due to the lens than the D90. If you wanted bokeh, you should have gotten any DSLR, even the cheapest second-hand one you can get, and a nice, cheap 50 or 85mm f/1.8.

That might have cost 500-600 SGD and gotten you the bokeh you want.

My attempt with my 18-105 lens on a D90 is not so hot. Maybe I am too close to subject or my background is not too contrasting.

This is what I did:
a. Turn off auto focus to manual
b. settings was at A
c. Tried with f3.5
d. result was not as dramatic as what some others posted

anyone using the same equipment as mine and can give me some pointers to how they achieve it?

Thanks

see what zerocoolastra tells u... its about the same as wat i trying to tell u... for u case, as in lens, best bokeh can be achieve by f5.6 focal lenght at 105, distance between ur subject and background futherest apart... it can be done one, u just need more experience to achieve it... tot it will be limited by ur f5.6... if u hv some more budget, u can get most economical prime lens 50mm f1.8... new is less than 200...

Here is my attempt..

3333646228_5c36058258.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.