Bokeh effect for kit lens II...

tan280

Nov 26, 2010
Singapore
Hi all,

Would like to ask how to achieve bokeh effects on the 18-135MM kit lens. I try to use Av mode but seems like the effect is not there. I use f/5.6. Wonder why it cant go to as low as 3.5 or 4. Thanks.

Hi all,

Would like to ask how to achieve bokeh effects on the 18-135MM kit lens. I try to use Av mode but seems like the effect is not there. I use f/5.6. Wonder why it cant go to as low as 3.5 or 4. Thanks.

If you look at your lens, the aperture value says 3.5-5.6, it means that at 18mm the widest you can go is f3.5 but at 135mm the widest is f5.6. Thats why you can't get anything lower than that. To achieve bokeh effect, you could a wider aperture(a faster lens) or work closer to your subject.

Here is why:

18mm - f3.5
24mm - f4
35mm - f4.5
50mm - f5
85mm - f5.6
135mm - f5.6

You can achieve a certain out of focus effect for the background, using it as subject isolation. Do note that 'bokeh' is a quality term for the out of focus area. It can be pleasing or not, but you cannot specifically achieve bokeh.
For background blur try to use the long end of your lens (vulgo: zoom to maximum), have the object close to you and the background far behind. This will show you that your kit lens is well able to achieve subject isolation.

You can achieve a certain out of focus effect for the background, using it as subject isolation. Do note that 'bokeh' is a quality term for the out of focus area. It can be pleasing or not, but you cannot specifically achieve bokeh.
For background blur try to use the long end of your lens (vulgo: zoom to maximum), have the object close to you and the background far behind. This will show you that your kit lens is well able to achieve subject isolation.

Yup. Working with distance is also important for isolation and background blur. Can't just rely on large aperture alone

Wow thanks for all the inputs... learn something again...:D

To improve the boka effect for kit lens II you can try zooming out to your max range which is 135mm, using the bigger aperture which is F/5.6 & lastly having background from your subject far away.

Roger that.. going to try out at multiple zoom range... tks.. :D