Bokeh Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff7id

Oct 15, 2008
Have some enquiry regarding Bokeh Comparison.
If shooting with :
- same distance between lens and object
- same position/location
- same lightning condition
- same DSLR body

Which one gives better bokeh between :

1. AF 50mm f/1.4D (shoot at f/2) vs AF 50mm f/1.8D (shoot at f/2)

2. AF-S Micro VR 105 f/2.8G (shoot at f/2.8) vs AF 105mm f/2D DC (shoot at f/2.8)

3. AF 85mm f/1.4D IF (shoot at f/2) vs AF 85mm f/1.8D (shoot at f/2)

Thank you for reading and thank you so much for your help :D

- same DSLR body

The body doesn't matter with the other parameters you have set constant.

1. 50mm f/1.4 D. (The 1.8's bokeh is more "nervous")

2. DC lens. (Although they both have 9 rounded blades, the DC lens perform better)

3. Same as 1.

You pay more for the extra stop and better bokeh. Although for the case of the macro vs. DC lens, it is not a apple-apple comparison.

Look for these lenses on photozone.de where they usually also test bokeh.

if i remember correctly,
sensor size in the body do affect bokeh.

You might be referring to out of focus blur rather than bokeh. Bokeh has to do with lens design, aperture blades, etc. The amount of OOF blur would be a factor of sensor size, focus distance, subject to bkgnd distance, focal length of lense.

For the latter, you can find out using a depth of field calculator.
For the example you mentioned, the different focal lengths will give different field of view since you mentioned similar distance to subject. It will be a head to waist shot for the 50mm, a head & shoulders shot for the 85mm and a head shot for the 100mm.

Very wrong.

Yes, my bad.

Was referring to dof :sweat:
Apologize for the confusion.

I dont think bokeh can be measured in term of quantity,
while dof can be measured/calculated.

Last edited:
Have some enquiry regarding Bokeh Comparison.
If shooting with :
- same position/location
- same DSLR body

Which one gives better bokeh between :

2. AF-S Micro VR 105 f/2.8G (shoot at f/2.8) vs AF 105mm f/2D DC (shoot at f/2.8)

Thank you for reading and thank you so much for your help :D

You've already stated it yourself. Bokeh is a qualitative factor, and not a quantitative one. "better" is a subjective term, though I would think most agree that the faster (and more expensive) lens usually produces the more pleasing bokeh even at the same aperture as the cheaper one.

strictly speaking, sensor size do not affect dof, but pixel size does.

For the same pixel size, DoF is affected by aperture, focal length and subject distance ONLY. Of course, if you position the subject further away to get the same size on frame on a crop sensor, then due to distance change, the DoF changes.

Was referring to dof :sweat:

Hi ALL !

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it.
Xie Xie !

I understand the theory of Depth of Field.

To separate the difference between DOF and Bokeh, I mentioned the comparison in the following condition :
- same position/location
- same DSLR body

What I mean about Bokeh is “Soft Blur Creamy Color”.

So which lens gives more Bokeh “Soft Blur Creamy Color” between :

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/nikon/

i think TS see this for yourself better... i personally think both 50mm 1.4D and 1.8D having nervous bokeh... not as sweet...

all the 85mm and 105mm one are having quite nice review... just check the link above and see it for yourself... you might have different preference... for myself... definitely 105mm f2 DC... you got control over background or foreground blur... but, the effect is more or less subtle...

I'm assuming that you are shooting portraits.

The creamiest you can get on a Nikon (and yet still rather "practical") will be the 300mm f/2.8.

The 200mm f/2 is great too.

All these cost BIG money.

Under 200mm the prices drop quite abit.

I :heart: my 135mm f/2 DC lens. The 180mm f/2.8 is also very good. I regret selling it off....
The effect of the defocus can be very extreme if you learn how to control it well. The DC lenses are one of the better lenses that can give you a whole cream of colours when taking full-body portraits more easily.

Below 105mm, definitely go for 85mm f/1.4. The common 50mm lenses and wider will not give you the creaminess you want (I've never liked any of the Nikon 50mm lenses).

If you are looking out for lenses,
you may also want to look at Sigma 50-150mm f2.8,
flexible focal length at a reasonable price,
but its dx.

If you are looking out for lenses,
you may also want to look at Sigma 50-150mm f2.8,
flexible focal length at a reasonable price,
but its dx.

Might be too "neither here nor there" for a trek. Not wide enough, not tele enough.

Might be too "neither here nor there" for a trek. Not wide enough, not tele enough.

Of course it depend on what TS want to achieve.
I just suggest one that cover all the 3 focal length mention by the TS that is capable of providing reasonable bokeh. Doesnt sound like he want a wide or tele anyway.

Of course who doesnt love a small and light 20-200mm f2.8 at the same price point with excellent bokeh. :bsmilie:

Hope someone (Nikkor or Canon or Leica or Zeiss) create a special lens that has bokeh quality at f/1.4, but the d.o.f. is thick.

Because that’s what we want to achieve for in the portrait photography. Nobody want the picture has superior BOKEH (soft creamy blur background color) but the picture focus at nose or ears (depend on your luck where the auto focus locks on) :sweat:

Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 HSM is a good alternative. Thanks Bro.
I have never tried that lens. Have you used it, how is the BOKEH (soft creamy blur background color) ?

Hope someone (Nikkor or Canon or Leica or Zeiss) create a special lens that has bokeh quality at f/1.4, but the d.o.f. is thick.

I think the Leica Summicron 35mm F2 King of Bokeh is :thumbsup:

Am not really a SLR person, not too sure about SLR lenses.

I got this 1950s Canon 50mm F1.2 leica screw mount lens that renders bokeh like that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/agnosticgary/3826462244/

11 blades if I am not wrong. But DOF is very thin.....

Because that’s what we want to achieve for in the portrait photography. Nobody want the picture has superior BOKEH (soft creamy blur background color) but the picture focus at nose or ears (depend on your luck where the auto focus locks on) :sweat:

Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 HSM is a good alternative. Thanks Bro.
I have never tried that lens. Have you used it, how is the BOKEH (soft creamy blur background color) ?

If the dof is too shallow, just step down the aperture.
I'm using this lense for my portrait practices :bsmilie:
Not the best i have used, but at this price, i have no complaint.
Do note it does not have stabilization.

09-08-15_FortCanning_027_web.jpg

f2.8, 1.5x112mm

09-08-15_FortCanning_101_web.jpg

f4, 1.5x150mm
Do note color saturation are edited.

You should try the Sony/Minolta 135mm STF. Bokeh king.

Status
Not open for further replies.