Bokeh...backgrounds. no, seriously....

nightwolf75

Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
really MORE diaper changes
http://petapixel.com/2014/07/28/bokeh-problem-focus-backgrounds-hold-can-get-fast-prime/

Triple-facepalm-picard-812_zpsafda47bb.jpg

Wah price starts at $185.. I think I can get a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, or some vintage 50mm lenses :D

actually, this is useful, try to shoot some 3 years old who can't stand still and their mothers what some bokeh shots.

lol @ 185 per piece. NOPE..

Looked very very convenient... And can proof to be very useful in many situation. However, I would think that it can also be easy if you could take a couple of photos, one without your subject (eg. Model) in it, just the desirable background. Then blur it accordingly using PS. The other one with the model with white background. Then merge the two pics together. Cheaper that way, I think.

Looked very very convenient... And can proof to be very useful in many situation. However, I would think that it can also be easy if you could take a couple of photos, one without your subject (eg. Model) in it, just the desirable background. Then blur it accordingly using PS. The other one with the model with white background. Then merge the two pics together. Cheaper that way, I think.

might be cheaper but does not mean is easier.

if it is doing for low res, like using it for web or video, it can be rather easy to mask out using chrome key backdrop, but on prints, anything bigger the 5R size print, it will be a very tedious job to isolate the subject neat and clean.

of course, if photographers using for hobby or interest, definitely can't justify the cost. But if looking at mess production head shot shooting or print on the spot, it is a life saver.

Anyway, if anyone want to do it on the cheap, just buy a plain colour backdrop, and a few cans of spray paints in different colour, paint your own bokeh backdrop,

I paint my own backdrop before, and here is a tips for you, the backdrop will be more realistic if you use more colours.
if you take a very close up look on a oil painting you will know what I mean.

I used to do that in the old film days...
I sprayed 6 in total on 9' x 12' canvas and muslin materials but don't use them nowadays as it's quite a hassle to set them up with back drop supports which more often than not I used duct tape and paste them to the wall.

Anyway, if anyone want to do it on the cheap, just buy a plain colour backdrop, and a few cans of spray paints in different colour, paint your own bokeh backdrop,

I paint my own backdrop before, and here is a tips for you, the backdrop will be more realistic if you use more colours.
if you take a very close up look on a oil painting you will know what I mean.

Done that before but used canvas :)

2961534520_e0f7dc0625_b_d.jpg

Reactions: pinholecam
If all your photos have the same background won't it look ridiculous..

If all your photos have the same background won't it look ridiculous..

If you use it for your own, yes.
But if you use it for your customers, customers want it the same as what they saw on others. Fyi, many wedding photographers bring their couples to the same spot, doing the same pose, same framing, composition. As customers want it this way.

If you use it for your own, yes.
But if you use it for your customers, customers want it the same as what they saw on others. Fyi, many wedding photographers bring their couples to the same spot, doing the same pose, same framing, composition. As customers want it this way.

:thumbsup:

Zeisser - nice home setup with the canvas. LOL

what customers really want is guarantee, and the guarantee comes from repeatable results, so this gadget is design for studios who shoot countless customers who want bokeh background at any time any day, rain or shine. with any size of customers. Pretty or not pretty. Results Guaranteed.

Last edited: