body or kit II /III

rednails

Mar 2, 2011
Am planning to get my 1st dslr. I have decided to get Canon 60D.
But now my main issue is should I get kit II/III?

Since the price different is not much.

Or should I invest on tamron 17-50?;)

Am planning to get my 1st dslr. I have decided to get Canon 60D.
But now my main issue is should I get kit II/III?

Since the price different is not much.

Or should I invest on tamron 17-50?;)

I guess the "standard" answer is: This depends on what you want to shoot...

If you are a newbie like me who know nuts abt everything, so you may want to get an all in 1 lens which 18-200 or 18-135 does a good job in shooting anything from wide to "long" telephoto. This will help you find your most commonly used focal length which afterwhich you will upgrade to a better build lens.

I wd say, only get 17-50 if you think you will only shoot within this range or you indend to get additional telephoto lens in the future.

IMO, I find that it's quite restrictive at 50mm at times when you need the longer focal length, this lens is perfect for those who don't shoot more than 50mm or have a good telephoto lens to change to when needed.

I think you should get kit 3. In terms of image quality, both 18-135/18-200mm is about the same. Since you didnt consider kit 1, I assume that you find the focal length restrictive.

Personally I started off thinking the same as you. However as i shoot more and more (and realised how useful cropping pic is), I notice I hardly shoot beyond 55mm, hence settled for the tamron.

The tamron though does not have the range of 18-135/18-200mm, however the IQ is much better then the two lens.

If one day you realised you prefer image quality over range, you can always sell your kit lens and buy the tamron.

Hope it helps..:>

I guess the "standard" answer is: This depends on what you want to shoot...

If you are a newbie like me who know nuts abt everything, so you may want to get an all in 1 lens which 18-200 or 18-135 does a good job in shooting anything from wide to "long" telephoto. This will help you find your most commonly used focal length which afterwhich you will upgrade to a better build lens.

I wd say, only get 17-50 if you think you will only shoot within this range or you indend to get additional telephoto lens in the future.

IMO, I find that it's quite restrictive at 50mm at times when you need the longer focal length, this lens is perfect for those who don't shoot more than 50mm or have a good telephoto lens to change to when needed.

will it be too bulky for 18-200 with 60d for female user,

I've seen female users with a D3s and 24-70, but whether it is too bulky or not depends on yourself, really. Some users find the 1000D and 18-55 to be bulky, some find the 1D and 70-200 fine. Go try the setup yourself at the Canon service centre and see if you like it?

Last edited:
really depends on what you usually shoot. the reach of the Tamron is pretty limited, only up till 50mm. if you still aren't sure what you usually shoot, then kit II or kit III are safer options as the reach is further, at 135mm and 200mm respectively.

quite a number of my friends find 50mm a little too limited. but personally I'm comfortable with the Tamron 17-50mm. before I owned the Tamron myself, I used one to cover my 10-day Sichuan trip, and was pleased with the delivery of lens. found the constant f/2.8 really useful as I had to shoot indoors and low-lit conditions at certain times. didn't really find myself needing beyond 50mm, so I'm pretty comfortable with the reach.

if you're not sure, do consider renting one. :)

brapodam is right, go down to the service centre and try the cameras with different setup and see if it fits in your hands or isit too bulky...

If you later find that 60D is too heavy, you may want to consider "downgrade" to entry level dslrs like 550D or equiv (they are abit smaller and much lighter), but you may find it abit unbalance if you used a heavy lens (e.g. 70-200 f4) as in the lens is much heavier than the camera.

Please also do give other brands (e.g. Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Oly etc...) a try before settling down on one. Some of it may feels just right in your hands.

thanks for the suggestion. Might be getting 135mm for a start. Have to play ard with the lens before investing on another.

Btw I was quoted $1899 for kit II. Consider reasonable??

thanks for the suggestion. Might be getting 135mm for a start. Have to play ard with the lens before investing on another.

can try checking out the shops at funan. tk foto - 2nd floor. SLR Revolution - 4th floor. john 3:16 - 5th floor. or cathaty photo across the road. or orient photo at sim lim square. might be able to get better quotations from them. :)

Once you are all set for a particular model/lens, try to call in and ask. For some shops, if you look like a newbie (carrot head), they may overcharge you. When making the calls, try to be confident in asking. Ask for different quotes from different shops so you will know the "average" price. The list of shops/address/phone numbers can be found in the price guide thread.

If you asked a shop for a quote and they give you another higher price when you walk-in, leave that shop.

And please do a search for blacklisted shops in CS before buying. You will want to avoid those shops.

brapodam is right, go down to the service centre and try the cameras with different setup and see if it fits in your hands or isit too bulky...

If you later find that 60D is too heavy, you may want to consider "downgrade" to entry level dslrs like 550D or equiv (they are abit smaller and much lighter), but you may find it abit unbalance if you used a heavy lens (e.g. 70-200 f4) as in the lens is much heavier than the camera.

Please also do give other brands (e.g. Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Oly etc...) a try before settling down on one. Some of it may feels just right in your hands.

I have try 550d before didnt really like the unbalance part. Makes me felt as if the lens is dropping anytime.

I have try 550d before didnt really like the unbalance part. Makes me felt as if the lens is dropping anytime.

I'm using a 18-55 mostly on my 500D body (60D fits perfect in my hand, but my pocket is not deep enough), so it's still OK. If I get anything heavier than 55-250, I may feel that way...

U can try paris silk at HV. Bought mine for 1890. Can even upgrade the SD card if u feel the free card is not gd enough . Just have to pay for the difference in price. Got the 16Gb extreme pro 45mb/s instead. top up 98 for it.

Regards

I'm a neohpyte at photography too :D Bought the Kit 2 and I think maybe l u should just get a Kit 2 , then perhaps , get another lens ? , Cause I like macro shots, and at around 85-100 , It's macro shots is quite good , Iq not bad , But if u prefers Wide angle shots , then maybe the 18-55mm lens , Kit 1 , then get a wide angle converter

wide angle converter is crap in my opinion...many people fell into the prey of pay $300 for some cheapo brand converter which $30 maybe nobody wants to buy.

I own 18-200 lens and currently still a happy user. Search "canon 18-200" in this forum and you can see some sample shots of happy users share. Since price diff is not huge, 65mm extra might be a huge difference under certain situations whereby you have no space to move and need that extra reach.

It's still my most common walkabout everyday lens when I just want to bring a single lens out.

Otherwise...get the body only and get a good 2nd hand copy of 18-200. You might save even more money and use those on other accessories such as a sturdy tripod.

I'm a neohpyte at photography too :D Bought the Kit 2 and I think maybe l u should just get a Kit 2 , then perhaps , get another lens ? , Cause I like macro shots, and at around 85-100 , It's macro shots is quite good , Iq not bad , But if u prefers Wide angle shots , then maybe the 18-55mm lens , Kit 1 , then get a wide angle converter

Actually wanted to get kit 1 at first but I tot for long term wise its not really worth.

U can try paris silk at HV. Bought mine for 1890. Can even upgrade the SD card if u feel the free card is not gd enough . Just have to pay for the difference in price. Got the 16Gb extreme pro 45mb/s instead. top up 98 for it.

Regards

hmm what does the package includes? standard bundle?

wide angle converter is crap in my opinion...many people fell into the prey of pay $300 for some cheapo brand converter which $30 maybe nobody wants to buy.

Yup. Never get any wide-angle or fisheye converter, the IQ degrades a lot and makes your shots unusable, even for Facebook

550D with 18-135mm still ok. Can you imagine if you are using 18-200mm :0

I bought my 60D last month with the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM. The IQ is really good. Aperture is larger f/2.8 to handle even in low light situations. The bokeh is nice with its 7 rounded aperture blades. And the focusing is very fast and it is very quiet due to it's Hyper Speed Motor. With Optical stabilizer that even sense tripod mount. And it comes with a free pedal lens hood.

Of course all these are my own personal preference and experience. Some people may still like the standard kit lens especially the kit II & III can cover both wide angle and long zoom range. For me I mostly shoot landscape, portrait & street photography. So 17-70mm is comfortable for me. Cheers! :cool:

Last edited: