Body / lens / both/ none

Status
Not open for further replies.

yumyum

Aug 18, 2005
Singapore
www.yummibear.multiply.com
If U must buy an Item with budget constraint( $1500 ) , what will u consider for ??
The purchase is for wedding photography ???

1. buy a good lens
2. good body
3. save up
4. none of the above ? (why)

i dont understand.. an item is not enough.. budget is not enough neither... if it's for wedding photography, you'll have to consider the whole equipment setup.. save up..

seriously ask yourself, what is lacking in your equipment to take photographs? I always find it very amusing to ask others what they themselves need. If you have not max out your equipment usage, you do not know what you need.

A $1500 equipment will not give you the magic bullet to take better photography. It has to start with your heart! With experience you know what you truly need. Please give me the $1500 and i teach you, the way to get better photographs is to observe and investigate, try and try again and ask yourself WHY you are not getting the image you want and investigate further how to get the results you wanted. ;)

yumyum said:
If U must buy an Item with budget constraint( $1500 ) , what will u consider for ??
The purchase is for wedding photography ???

1. buy a good lens
2. good body
3. save up
4. none of the above ? (why)

I see that in your signature that you already have some equipment. So do you mean that on top of what you have, what you will spend the $1500 on? Or using $1500 to start from scratch?

if i were to choose either one (looking at ur setup), the most i would get is a 85/f1.8 and save up the rest... with your SB800, i don think it is much of a problem to cover all flash photography needed if you got experienc (i got none tho), and thats when the 85/50mm f1.8 comes in useful

You should spend more time learn how to take good pictures, maximize your equipment that you already own.

I notice you have start two threads regarding this wedding, seem you have made up your mind and this particular wedding is very important to you, I shell stop here.

Good day.

catchlights said:
You should spend more time learn how to take good pictures, maximize your equipment that you already own.

I notice you have start two threads regarding this wedding, seem you have made up your mind and this particular wedding is very important to you, I shell stop here.

Good day.

Agree:thumbsup: but some users still think having better equipments = fantastic picture...
If you wanna be a wedding photographer, I guess the most important factor is train...train...train...

catchlights said:

Good day.

yeah u r right man, is my friend's wedding actually, though I'm only his Backup Photography, i really dun wann lost precious moments on them.. better lens sharper images.. am i right ?

yumyum said:
yeah u r right man, is my friend's wedding actually, though I'm only his Backup Photography, i really dun wann lost precious moments on them.. better lens sharper images.. am i right ?
i might be wrong, but this is what i think. yes better lens might give you sharper image, but the more important part is do you understand the lens well? if not there will be no way to get great image out of it.

im not good myself, but this is what im trying to do at least =x

Save up the money.
Spend it on a basic photography course and then wedding photography course.
That will help you to take better pictures.
Expensive equipment cannot get maximise results without a good photographer.

Go to the wedding forum and see how ppl take wedding photos.
Read up a book on wedding photography.
This coming wedding may be a bit too late for you to get good pictures.
But do your best and be confidence with yourself.
Since you are not the main photographer, don't put too much pressure on yourself.
Just relax and enjoy your shooting. :)

yumyum said:

My advice is, if its your friends' wedding, its better that you be his buddy instead, enjoy the wedding and let the photographer do his job. If he needs one more photographer, advice him to hire one more...
I held my wedding, I got friends who are hobbyist and some work part time for wedding shoots and video, but on my day, I hired a photographer and videoman, and let my friends enjoy the event with me. Sorry for a little O.T here...

devilboy said:
My advice is, if its your friends' wedding, its better that you be his buddy instead, enjoy the wedding and let the photographer do his job. If he needs one more photographer, advice him to hire one more...
I held my wedding, I got friends who are hobbyist and some work part time for wedding shoots and video, but on my day, I hired a photographer and videoman, and let my friends enjoy the event with me. Sorry for a little O.T here...

yeah, u are right 100%, i dun really get to enjoy when my elder bro got married and i am his videographer.. sgh :cry:

Here's a different approach for you:

Buy a second-hand film SLR on CS for around $200. Buy a 50mm f1.8 lens to go with it for around $150. Buy Bryan Peterson's books, "Understanding Exposure" and "Learning to See Creatively". Buy some colour film and some B&W film and go out and shoot. Think about your shots but don't be afraid to experiment. You will spend some money on developing and printing but you won't have to worry about Photoshop, WB, colour management, backing-up etc etc...will give you more time to shoot.

Hire different lenses from the people on CS who offer this service before spending lots of money. Know what you need and why you need it.

The most important thing is to learn how a camera works and the basis of composition not the equipment you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.