Boat Trail

skinnywitch

Jun 8, 2012
The smallest country
Hi, i was doing some night shooting along the waterfront of MBS and was using long exposure. I realize that there will be boat trail whenever i use long exposure let's say 30sec. How can i get a shot with a stationary looking boat without any trail and still having a smooth water effect? The settings was f/22, 30sec, iso100

I hope the seniors here can share knowledge with me.

Thank you :)

it's impossible. then moment u use slow shutter speed. any passing objects with light will become light trails. besides the water is not still, boats will rock.

it's impossible. then moment u use slow shutter speed. any passing objects with light will become light trails. besides the water is not still, boats will rock.

But i read from somewhere think from the critique section that it is always distracting to see boat trail on the water?? *scratch head*

Either shoot when there is no more boat service (eg 3am) or clone it off

But i read from somewhere think from the critique section that it is always distracting to see boat trail on the water?? *scratch head*

boat trail can distract or add a plus (as lead in lines) to your photos... so depends how u capture it and at what angle?

skinnywitch said:
Hi, i was doing some night shooting along the waterfront of MBS and was using long exposure. I realize that there will be boat trail whenever i use long exposure let's say 30sec. How can i get a shot with a stationary looking boat without any trail and still having a smooth water effect? The settings was f/22, 30sec, iso100

I hope the seniors here can share knowledge with me.

Thank you :)

Take the shot after the boat service stops. Later in night air also more still n you get a smoother mirror.

boat trail can distract or add a plus (as lead in lines) to your photos... so depends how u capture it and at what angle?

so if let's say, while i am shooting the laser show from MBS, it would be fine with the boat trail?

skinnywitch said:
so if let's say, while i am shooting the laser show from MBS, it would be fine with the boat trail?

It will still be distracting if your light trails do not contribute to the photo

It will still be distracting if your light trails do not contribute to the photo

the boat trails will not gel nicely with the Light Show IMHO. which do you want your friends to look at? the Light Show or the Boat Trails?

but it also depends on how many trails you get in your picture

You can wait for the boat to go out of yr angle then u start shooting. That will prevent boat trail on your photos when doing long exposures :)