BnS claim: "fungus dead and not growing"

kwanhan

Aug 17, 2009
Redhill
A claim on a BnS thread:

"glass element condition is good except fungus (dead and not growing) on edges of front glass element which not gonna appear and affect IQ with crop body or even full frame body"

anybody has got any takes on fungus dead and not growing? scientific or otherwise? :bsmilie:

personally, (without googling), i think that fungus spores can be dormant and never truly dead?

i mean fungus its all about having the right conditions for growth

....so fungus is like some sort of zombie apocalypse right?

ANYWAY TO KILL IT? :bsmilie:

A claim on a BnS thread:

"glass element condition is good except fungus (dead and not growing) on edges of front glass element which not gonna appear and affect IQ with crop body or even full frame body"

anybody has got any takes on fungus dead and not growing? scientific or otherwise? :bsmilie:

personally, (without googling), i think that fungus spores can be dormant and never truly dead?

Dip the lens into alcohol or fungicide?:bsmilie:

ppl are getting more creative nowadays

if i were a newbie... i may have bought that lens

when i was still clueless, i bought a nikkor 50 1.4 AIS cheap for $150... only later did I realize there was whitish stuff on the edge of the front element.

passed it to Bro Fatigue to have a look... the lens had been taken apart before and said it was leftover cleaning stains.. didn't affect the IQ though

wah.

fungus pronounce dead at .....

if i were a newbie... i may have bought that lens

when i was still clueless, i bought a nikkor 50 1.4 AIS cheap for $150... only later did I realize there was whitish stuff on the edge of the front element.

passed it to Bro Fatigue to have a look... the lens had been taken apart before and said it was leftover cleaning stains.. didn't affect the IQ though

Hmm fungus removal by the shops costs around $65, so if the buyer is confident enough that the lens coating is not affected actually he might get a pretty good deal.

LMFAO. He might as well say the fungi is infertile, doesnt release spores.

be kind + nice guys.... seller was honest enough to mention it .... appreciate it...... u have heard enough stories of sellers who will try to pass off an infected lens as dust or cleaning stain to a newbie or just hope buyer dont notice it because of carelessness/ignorance/rushing when transacting

He probably described it wrongly.... or maybe he did not..... it might already be cleaned of fungus with permanent cleaning stains left behind leading to that claim or it might not...... or maybe he was just plain ignorant about the nature of fungal infections if not treated ..... but still honest about it nonetheless

if its priced to your satisfaction, take the chance to meet up and decide for yourself if you are keen.

we should be encouraging honesty, yes?

peace

Last edited:
A claim on a BnS thread:

Ask seller to produce a death cert for the fungus :bsmilie:

maybe the seller does not know much about fungus... and he has not seen the fungus grow while he owned the lens... so he pronounced it dead :bsmilie:

yah... it is good that the seller said that there was fungus. i'd rather have someone honest and declare it (though may not know much about fungus) than one who is out to deceive...

ok i retract my nasty statements

didn't occur to me that it could have been phrased out of ignorance!

be kind + nice guys.... seller was honest enough to mention it .... appreciate it...... u have heard enough stories of sellers who will try to pass off an infected lens as dust or cleaning stain to a newbie or just hope buyer dont notice it because of carelessness/ignorance/rushing when transacting

He probably described it wrongly.... or maybe he did not..... it might already be cleaned of fungus with permanent cleaning stains left behind leading to that claim or it might not...... or maybe he was just plain ignorant about the nature of fungal infections if not treated ..... but still honest about it nonetheless

if its priced to your satisfaction, take the chance to meet up and decide for yourself if you are keen.

we should be encouraging honesty, yes?

peace

:thumbsup:

A claim on a BnS thread:

The fungus threads may be killed by strong UV light, I am not sure if leaving it in the sun may kill them. But spores probably not.........quite tough

A claim on a BnS thread:

seller used the wrong term, the correct word is not growing, the fungus was actually dried up. When fungus is found present, the lens coating is gone. The only way is to re-coat the lens in the lab which is often expensive.

Actually, fungus is almost everywhere. The big difference is that it takes certain conditions for fungus to grow, like high humidity and in the dark. When exposed to sunlight and UV, and low humidity, fungus just cannot grow.

So, if you use your lens often and often enough outdoors, where there is UV light, then, you can be sure that fungus will not grow.

Actually, fungus is almost everywhere. The big difference is that it takes certain conditions for fungus to grow, like high humidity and in the dark. When exposed to sunlight and UV, and low humidity, fungus just cannot grow.

So, if you use your lens often and often enough outdoors, where there is UV light, then, you can be sure that fungus will not grow.

My cam is in air-con room for a long time.. Low humidity in air-con room? :dunno: