Bm-9 for D700

IluvDYL

Sep 16, 2010
Hey guys, is there any difference between 3rd party Bm-9(LCD cover for d700) and original Nikon Bm-9? I realized that the price difference is 15x!

IluvDYL said:
Hey guys, is there any difference between 3rd party Bm-9(LCD cover for d700) and original Nikon Bm-9? I realized that the price difference is 15x!

I would suggest you get GGS to instead of LCD cover.

A shop owner told me just use the one provided by Nikon cheap to replace instead of GGS.
He say GGS is stick to LCD & if we hit by accident on it the GGS will break together with LCD, while if we only use Nikon cover it won't break the LCD just replace the cover anytime we want, Nikon already design a cover that is good for it propose don't try to be clever.
However I use a GGS on my D700 very good leh but of.cos I didn't knock my LCD.

A shop owner told me just use the one provided by Nikon cheap to replace instead of GGS.
He say GGS is stick to LCD & if we hit by accident on it the GGS will break together with LCD, while if we only use Nikon cover it won't break the LCD just replace the cover anytime we want, Nikon already design a cover that is good for it propose don't try to be clever.

In what way is it better than the LCD cover?

STTNP said:

Actually this is quite true.

In fact I was quite surprise to note that even if you accidentally scratched the original LCD screen on the camera, it can be replaced quite cheaply too at NSC. Most people who buy the GGS is more concerned about breaking the LCD, which does offer a better protection as it is hard glass.

For me, the original BM provided in the camera is sufficient. And most importantly, it's free

In fact I was quite surprise to note that even if you accidentally scratched the original LCD screen on the camera, it can be replaced quite cheaply too at NSC. Most people who buy the GGS is more concerned about breaking the LCD, which does offer a better protection as it is hard glass.

For me, the original BM provided in the camera is sufficient. And most importantly, it's free

How much does NSC charge to replace the LCD?

Nothing beats seeing with your own eyes. I have seen 3 cases now. And the camera came out without a scratch and the GGS broke.

The problem with the plastic one from nikon or the newer clip on GGS is that sand can get in between the LCD and the protector. Cleaning is leycheh. In the case of the BM-9, the sand may even scratch the LCD screen inside sometimes if the plastic screen is pressed against your body.

8115178124_18c2220514_z.jpg

GGS is very very scratch resistant.

Last edited:
8115178124_18c2220514_z.jpg

Wow, how did that happen? Hit the screen? My worry is that will it be easy to remove after few years as the adhesive may have turned sticky

Wow, how did that happen? Hit the screen? My worry is that will it be easy to remove after few years as the adhesive may have turned sticky

no problems in removing. the adhesive used is 3M. and it doesn't turn goo-y .

How it happened, was due to black rapid design... which is why i no longer use black rapid or similar straps.

daredevil123 said:
Nothing beats seeing with your own eyes. I have seen 3 cases now. And the camera came out without a scratch and the GGS broke.

The problem with the plastic one from nikon or the newer clip on GGS is that sand can get in between the LCD and the protector. Cleaning is leycheh. In the case of the BM-9, the sand may even scratch the LCD screen inside sometimes if the plastic screen is pressed against your body.

GGS is very very scratch resistant.

Yeah that pic is precisely why people buy the GGS screen. For the hard glass protection.

But for scratches, the old one I used with my D7000 previously has lots of scratches. I don't have pics of that, but does not really bothers me. it's meant to take the scratches and knocks if it happens anyway.

I guess all boils down to personal preference whether or not to replace the default one, does not hurt to get 1 since its not that expensive :)

Last edited:
I will still buy a GGS when it's available

cheapest gss should be at tkphoto at funan level 2
iirc is $18 for the clip on version

the original Nikon plastic monitor cover, is suppose to remove it when you use your camera, fit it back when your camera is not in use,
problem is that is troublesome, and it get loose after some time, and you may lost it somewhere out in the field,
if you leave plastic monitor cover attached all the time, it will get dirty, scratch and affect you viewing the monitor. this is no good too.

so I use martin field screen protractor and keep the original Nikon plastic monitor cover in the camera packaging box, it is not the cheapest and it is not bulletproof, but still can last very long.

Hey guys, for the GGS protector(stick on type) for D700, are there 2 types? One is of thicker glass and one is of thinner glass?