Blurring background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helbreath

Jul 24, 2003
Visit site
Playing with PS7 for a while but still couldnt figure out how to blur the background with the front subject properly focus.
Someone can help?
Thanks

select the background and use gaussian blur on it with the amt of blur you wan=p

wad tool do u use to select the background?

Helbreath said:
wad tool do u use to select the background?

You can use marquee, lasso, magic wand etc, all the selection tools. ;)

Or you can just select the main subject and do an invert selection.

if you have complex shapes or hands too unsteady for the lasso, you can try using the pen tool. set to paths (at the top). click on points along the path of the selection you want. you can click on as many points as you like, depending on the complexity of the shape and you end by clicking on the first point to close the selection. right click and select make selection.

if I am not mistaken Gaussian blur requires various inputs such as radius and threshold right. I know these settings are subjective. But can I have a rough indication on what the fellow CS uses when using this function. Please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.

hummm, as far as i know my gaussian onli have a radius setting,onli the smart blur have threshold n radius etc, or at least in my ver of PS6...=p
i normally use from 5-10, and well, end of day i think it depends on how blur the situation need to be, i.e subjective.., and wat a photo would have look like in tat situation. Anywei it best to have the blur through the lens, as i feel tat the most natural blur is still done through the lens....
:D

Gaussian refers to the bell-shaped curve that is generated when Adobe Photo-shop applies a weighted average to the pixels. The Gaussian Blur filter adds low-frequency detail and can produce a hazy effect. There's no fixed standard values for the radius. But a good start will be like what ace suggested, 5-10.

Anywei it best to have the blur through the lens, as i feel tat the most natural blur is still done through the lens....

That's true tho. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.