Blur, soft or off focus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk2004

Dec 23, 2008
Took this picture of my kid using 50mm 1.8 II. Been trying to figure out if this photo is blur, off focus or just soft (as I used protrait mode).

Any advice? Thanks :)

3140313732_a1da31f214.jpg

if the speed is below 1/60s, highly handshake.

if it is at f1.8, highly out of focus

and this lens is soft at f1.8, for better sharpness, stop the lens two stops down.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

thats a good read. you should start shooting in creative modes, instead of the preset ones since you've got your dslr and a good lens.
shooting in manual, AV or TV will give you much more control over your picture and you'll get great results in no time :D

most probably it's both blur and out of focus.

I'm veering on the side of hand-shake blur, although I cannot rule out the lens being OFF.

thanks all for the advice. Yes, the photo was taken at 1/60sec, f1.8.

where did you aim? was the focus point blinked on the person face or somewhere else?

handshake is a possible factor but from what i see, its more like the focus point was on something else.

there was also flares in the picture.

I warmed the colors a bit. Hope you dont mind.
ff68dcf8.jpg

Should be quite okay if you print in 3R size so that the focus off is not so obvious..

Analysis it yourself..
If it's oof,then something must be in focus in the frame...[check ur F value first tho]
if not,then it's a likely case of handshake...or lens issue.

Btw what camera is this? coz some bodies have in built stabilisation , can shoot at 1/30 , 1/15 without shake.

where did you aim? was the focus point blinked on the person face or somewhere else?

handshake is a possible factor but from what i see, its more like the focus point was on something else.

there was also flares in the picture.

I warmed the colors a bit. Hope you dont mind.
ff68dcf8.jpg

Should be quite okay if you print in 3R size so that the focus off is not so obvious..

Thanks Reportage, the photo does look better

Analysis it yourself..
If it's oof,then something must be in focus in the frame...[check ur F value first tho]
if not,then it's a likely case of handshake...or lens issue.

I am not sure what went wrong, handshake, F stop, off focus..will take note and be more aware when I shoot more

Btw what camera is this? coz some bodies have in built stabilisation , can shoot at 1/30 , 1/15 without shake.
Am using Canon 40D

Anything at 1/80 is already inviting potential handshakes.
Below this value,it's all subjective.

Anything at 1/80 is already inviting potential handshakes.
Below this value,it's all subjective.

Completely agree.

Anyway IS only reduces handshake, you don't really eliminate handshake at anything below 1/200, always try to have 1/200 + IS (my opinion) to be safe. =)

Completely agree.

Anyway IS only reduces handshake, you don't really eliminate handshake at anything below 1/200, always try to have 1/200 + IS (my opinion) to be safe. =)

totally agree.
even at 1/250,you might think u don't have handshakes.I'm not a pixel peeper but if you think there is none,zoom in and you'll see it edvident.

totally agree.
even at 1/250,you might think u don't have handshakes.I'm not a pixel peeper but if you think there is none,zoom in and you'll see it edvident.

1/250 and handshake? It depends on what type of lens you use then. Telephoto, maybe. But wide-angle? I don't think so.

mid telephoto onwards...

It looks out-of-focus to me. Not so much of handshake. But of course handshake may also be present.

Well that's the problem of 50 f1.8, you can't really use f1.8 if you want good sharpness. Use f4 or smaller. And make sure you have high shutter speeds. Increase iso to compensate if neccessary.

totally agree.

Are you referring to 1/250 at 50mm? I think its more than enough.

To TS, where are you focussing?

thanks all for the advice. Yes, the photo was taken at 1/60sec, f1.8.

That calls for softness. Use f/2.8 and you'll get sharp pictures. In return you need to increase ISO a bit to stay at 1/60sec roughly. But looking at the picture it seems that there is still some 'space' left before the noise level gets too high.
Please leave the EXIF header intact when posting images. helps a lot to see what you have done and how to improve next time.

Are you referring to 1/250 at 50mm? I think its more than enough.

To TS, where are you focussing?

The photo was taken sometime back in early Nov, I can't really remember where I'm focussing. But I think it's at the eyes...:embrass:

That calls for softness. Use f/2.8 and you'll get sharp pictures. In return you need to increase ISO a bit to stay at 1/60sec roughly. But looking at the picture it seems that there is still some 'space' left before the noise level gets too high.
Please leave the EXIF header intact when posting images. helps a lot to see what you have done and how to improve next time.

Thanks, I convert the pic from Raw to JPEG using Canon software "Digital Photo Professional", even though I selected the format option as "EXIF-JPG", it seems that the EXIF is not exported out. Am looking out for some other tools that can do that beside Photoshop

It looks out-of-focus to me. Not so much of handshake. But of course handshake may also be present.

Well that's the problem of 50 f1.8, you can't really use f1.8 if you want good sharpness. Use f4 or smaller. And make sure you have high shutter speeds. Increase iso to compensate if neccessary.

I agree that its softness of the f1.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.