blur effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercy81

Nov 4, 2008
OOpps sorry , ya seemed like copy right law..
removed.
Hi, would like to know how to achieve this kinda blur effect in the center portion.
I notice most of the tutorials will teach us how to sharpen the main subject and blur the background.
But for this example, the middle portion is blurred instead. I am using eos450D and i can choose the focus area by choosing the focusing red dot. But is it possible to have 2 red focus points at the extreme left and right?

In short how to blur the middle and sharpen the side ,just like this pic. Any experts can help?

Last edited:
Can't see your picture, can you repost?

Actually, if its not your photo, its better to post its link.

Maybe u should read up more about depth of field (DOF). that will help u understand better.. :D lens with larger aperture will give u shallower DOF, hence more background or foreground blur. :D

just position your focusing point to the leaves on the right? the plane of focus would contain some of the left side bushes as well..

Last edited:
Maybe u should read up more about depth of field (DOF). that will help u understand better.. :D lens with larger aperture will give u shallower DOF, hence more background or foreground blur. :D
I second that.
Just go on to any search engine and type 'Depth of Field'. You'll get your results.

Kind of hard to really see the effects given the size.

Could be done in photoshop, my novice steps would be

1) Duplicate the original layer
2) Apply Gaussian blur to the new layer
3) Layer mask the new layer
4) Paint in the sides with a brush (black), the areas that the brush touches will be sharp, the areas that the brush missed would be blur.
5) Flatten layers.

2863235166_81382ab1c1.jpg

Hi, would like to know how to achieve this kinda blur effect in the center portion.
I notice most of the tutorials will teach us how to sharpen the main subject and blur the background.
But for this example, the middle portion is blurred instead. I am using eos450D and i can choose the focus area by choosing the focusing red dot. But is it possible to have 2 red focus points at the extreme left and right?

In short how to blur the middle and sharpen the side ,just like this pic. Any experts can help?

i assume you're using the kit, don't think the kit would be able to attain that kind of dof. And i agree if it aint your pic, better to just link it. :p

blur the middle and sharpen the side? don't quite understand, perhaps future lenses may, but for now, we use only 1 lens, can't focus 2 diff DOF at go.
You can only fake this using photoshop or some image software

2863235166_81382ab1c1.jpg

Erm.. to me this pic focus is on the foreground hence background blur. i don't see any blur middle and sharp sides.

blur the middle and sharpen the side? don't quite understand, perhaps future lenses may, but for now, we use only 1 lens, can't focus 2 diff DOF at go.
You can only fake this using photoshop or some image software

eeeer. Dude, in that pic, only the leaves on the right are in focus. So that's what you set the focal plane at.

Think what he wants is to have a sharp left and right while middle blurred. In this case, he can just radial, lens blur etc in photoshop etc.

Last edited:
nothing too special about the photo wat. No 'magic' done in Photoshop.

The shrubs on the left, and the leaves on the right, are both approximately the same distance from the camera. Hence it makes sense that they would BOTH be in focus.
The depth-of-field is not THAT thin in this shot. At least 1.5m back, the leaves are still in focus. Only the trees in the far distance (in the center of the frame) are blur.

If you want to achieve like in the pic just focus somewhere in the middle of the boardwalk but your lens must be within distance. You can read more on DOF

the pix focus is on the right side?

the pix focus is on the right side?

don't the leaves on the bottom-left appear sharp as well?
Focusing is distance-related. Basically if you focus so that something 2 metres away is sharp, EVERYTHING that is 2 metres away (in a circle of radius 2m from the camera) is also sharp. There is no LEFT or RIGHT focusing (not that I know of anyway), unless you use some special lens attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.