Bluetooth mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Are there any advantange using the bluetooth mouse vs other wireless mouse? Saw many diff designs and tempted to buy...

If PC/laptop has built in bluetooth then you don't need to plug a wireless unit in. That's about all I can think of in terms of benefits.

I went through this decision cycle and ended up buying the Logitec LX700 mouse. Mostly it was because it is one of the few full-sized wireless mouse (I can't use those mini mouse, too small for my hands to use comfortably). But I think it has a few other merits.

First, you can plug the mouse on any computer as long as it has a USB port (it doesn't need to be on the computer, can be on a USB hub).

Second, Bluetooth adaptors can be freaky when connected with multiple devices, such as headsets, cellphones, etc.

Third, on laptops the Bluetooth adaptors can drink a lot of battery juice so you might like to turn off the bluetooth antenna when on battery. Then your mouse wouldn't work. The Logitec mouse transceiver uses very little power (from my empirical observation).

Using the Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse for my TV PC. Had to because it offers a longer range that the standard wireless one.

One major disadvantage - you cannot use the keyboard and mouse if you out of windows eg:when you want to use the keyboard to setup your bios or when you are installing an OS. This is because the bluetooth needs the Windows drivers to run first. The mouse/keyboard communicates with the USB bluetooth dongle as opposed to standard wireless solutions which actually connectes (via the receiver/transmitter) the the keyboard and mouse ports of the PC.

And for some reason, I cannot get the scroll wheel on my mouse working!! Only the scroll wheel on the keyboard works. Been trouble shooting this for days!! Quite fed up.:thumbsd:

Actually I am considering the Logitech or the Microsoft bluetooth mouse, but seeing my friends using the tiny Taiwanese brand ones and they are easier for travelling. I am using a IBM Thinkpad T-serious with bigger battery (can last 5 hours or more) so battery consumption is not that important. It is whether I get the bigger mouse (Logitech or Microsoft) or the smaller mouse (Taiwanese brand) or end up buying 2 (1 for office desk and 1 for travelling?)

Astin said:
Actually I am considering the Logitech or the Microsoft bluetooth mouse, but seeing my friends using the tiny Taiwanese brand ones and they are easier for travelling. I am using a IBM Thinkpad T-serious with bigger battery (can last 5 hours or more) so battery consumption is not that important. It is whether I get the bigger mouse (Logitech or Microsoft) or the smaller mouse (Taiwanese brand) or end up buying 2 (1 for office desk and 1 for travelling?)

Astin, you might want to make a pass on the Logitech MX9000 (I think).
I'm currently using it, but always have problem with the rechargable battery (have changed the whole mouse once, problem still persist).

scanner said:
Astin, you might want to make a pass on the Logitech MX9000 (I think).
I'm currently using it, but always have problem with the rechargable battery (have changed the whole mouse once, problem still persist).
Alright, then I pass, now is the Microsoft one vs the Taiwanese brand one...

Status
Not open for further replies.