Bluer sky please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
Anyone can teach me how to make the sky a darker shade of blue? Using PS?

use a polariser when you're taking it again?

wait, via PS? you might want to try the curves feature. try making a slanted S shape. fiddle around and you might find what you're looking for.

Horsba85 said:
wait, via PS? you might want to try the curves feature. try making a slanted S shape. fiddle around and you might find what you're looking for.
but i have some foreground picture and the curves would adjust the whole picture right?

any way to adjust just the sky and leave the others untouched?

I shoot RAW, push saturation all the way up, and set the WB to a colder colour (eg lower K). If you are taking portraits this sets a certain "mood". Probably not the ans you want, but you can try it.... I do this for weddings.

Ok, this is what i mean
53083870.DSC_7418.jpg

49842071.33.jpg

No polariser, no curve job. Just the settings and RAW.

Hmm just wondering whats the difference when you set the WB a bit cooler?

sorry to OT, but 2100, great shots, i particularly like the location. it's nice to know someone actually visits the changi chapel.

back to T, i think he means select the sky using selection tools and then upping saturation, contrast and colour curves to that area, thus not affecting the other unselected buildings

So you set saturation up and WB colder to get these?

2100 said:
I shoot RAW, push saturation all the way up, and set the WB to a colder colour (eg lower K). If you are taking portraits this sets a certain "mood". Probably not the ans you want, but you can try it.... I do this for weddings.

Ok, this is what i mean
53083870.DSC_7418.jpg

49842071.33.jpg

hehe ....
Here is my blue sky .... :kiss:
Sentosa07.jpg

how to take sky look so blue? ..... hehe .... actually very easy ....
Just wait for a really blue sky day then go take, sure have very blue sky one :lovegrin:
please dun flame me, i am just a newbie :embrass:

There are many ways to make the sky more blue. Some of the methods are shared by bros here. It all depends on your preference and how easily you want it done.
I would use a polariser, cos not only can this filter help you make the sky's colour more saturated, you can even choose how saturated you want it to be. If you know what a polariser is, you will know that you can rotate the filter to get the desired effect.
The polariser can also be used for other things. Like when shooting thru glass, the polariser helps take away the glare and you can actually shoot and not see the glass at all. An amazing little thing.

Another option is the graduated filter, which will leave the the lower half of the image as it is but darken the sky.

2100 said:

Ok, this is what i mean
53083870.DSC_7418.jpg

49842071.33.jpg

Cooler colour is actually higher kelvin. ;)

What I do is keep a portfolio of nice blue skies (with puffy clouds if that's what i'm after) shot from different angles, and insert it via PS when weather won't cooperate.

I carry a P&S with me most of the time to capture such stocks.

Ironically its hard to get perfect skies when you need them the most!

Fluorite said:
Cooler colour is actually higher kelvin. ;)
yups.. kinda confusing for beginners like me...
:complain: bigger aperture small number?
:complain: smaller number wider FOV
soo confusing.. :bsmilie:

masking is probably THE most important skill you can learn for PS...interested to learn more? go to the library and borrow this book called "Photoshop Masking & Compositing" by Katrin Eismann, or buy it for long time reference...but of course still have to experiment to see which methods suit which scenarios best...:)

one way to save fainty skies is to mask out the sky, duplicate that masked out area, and then change the new layer's blending mode to multiply...adjust the opacity if the new colour is too strong, or add another duplicate layer over it if too weak...don't duplicate too many layers though or the colour goes wonky, especially for noisy images...

Status
Not open for further replies.