Blue Fairy - Disney on Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

Frustrated at seeing all the photojournalists having all the fun at the ice skating events during the recently concluded Winter Olympics at Salt Lake City, I went down to Disney on Ice for my own share of ice skating shots ;p

And there's no Canadians vs Russian debates over there too - everyone is a champion for entertaining the many kids there :)

This series is the Blue Fairy from Pinocchio, played by Allison Bennet, who, by the way, is Canadian. (take that, Russians!)

All shots: D30 with 70-200 f2.8L
Surprisingly, the AI Servo mode works.....

Descending Fairy
CRW_7215L.jpg

Fairy Dance
CRW_7222L.jpg

Grace
CRW_7220L.jpg

reddawn,

Was the pic sharp at 100%? This is a good time to evaluate the AI SERVO of the D30...

Originally posted by zapp!
reddawn,

Was the pic sharp at 100%? This is a good time to evaluate the AI SERVO of the D30...

Hi

most pics are fairly sharp.....AI Servo of D30 is only reliable when the subject is not moving directly away or towards u i think.....

yes i've obtained some sharp pics with AI Servo....

Very nice pics! I went for this Disney on Ice thing too but sat too far away to take pics.

BTW, did u use flash? By right cannot right? I saw a lot of people being told to not use their flash.

Originally posted by KoolBlue
Very nice pics! I went for this Disney on Ice thing too but sat too far away to take pics.

BTW, did u use flash? By right cannot right? I saw a lot of people being told to not use their flash.

Hi

i couldn't buy the $81 seats cos all sold out, so had to settle for $50 ones......not exactly that near to the action, but, enough for my 70-200 to catch the action.

flash photography is not allowed, but everybody seems to be flashing left right and centre - not that it would help AT ALL - most pple have the weird idea that their flash can light up the entire arena from where they are sitting ;)

I use ISO 1600 for all my Disney on Ice shots, with AI Servo tracking on the D30. It's the only way to catch anything there.....esp if u want to catch them skating.......

Actually you can try zone-focusing ie pre-focus on a particular spot, and wait for the subject to come into the frame before shooting.

OR.... you could use manual focus like Jed.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Actually you can try zone-focusing ie pre-focus on a particular spot, and wait for the subject to come into the frame before shooting.

OR.... you could use manual focus like Jed.

yup true......however i think the zone focusing method should work better than manual focus for me ;p

dunno if it's my eyes, but everytime i manual focus and think that i am correct, the pic comes out slightly defocused. changing the diopter didn't seem to help much - i can never be 100% sure.....

Originally posted by Red Dawn

yup true......however i think the zone focusing method should work better than manual focus for me ;p

dunno if it's my eyes, but everytime i manual focus and think that i am correct, the pic comes out slightly defocused. changing the diopter didn't seem to help much - i can never be 100% sure.....

Hmm, how do you use this manual focussing method?

Do you wait for the person to pass that distance once and lock the focus .. and when he passes by again .. just shoot?

Originally posted by elutris

Hmm, how do you use this manual focussing method?

Do you wait for the person to pass that distance once and lock the focus .. and when he passes by again .. just shoot?

Hi

for manual focus, wat i have tried before (at a dance performance, not ice skating) is:

1) Choose a point where u anticipate the action will be (preferably with nice background)

2) manual focus to that distance

3) When the person comes into view, quickly make a last min adjustment in focus and take the shot at the right moment (then pray hard :))

like i said, doesn't work for me all the time.

Anyway for dance performances i don't use AI Servo - i try to catch them at their "peak" - u know, those moments when they seem to freeze in mid air / freeze in their movements etc etc....

ice skating is a different ballgame though! but it was really fun. i shot, enjoying myself, without very high expectations of getting good pictures :)

Status
Not open for further replies.