Blu-Ray players

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
I'm in the market for a blu-ray player and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations? Is WiFi connectivity important in a player? Do you use it?

Is the Samsung BD-P3600 any good?

I'm in the market for a blu-ray player and was wondering if you guys have any recommendations? Is WiFi connectivity important in a player? Do you use it?

Is the Samsung BD-P3600 any good?
you only using it to watch movie? coz i am going to recommend ps3.

you can play use it to play games, can watch dvd, BD, can surf net. you can transfer your photos, video(divx, mpeg, avi..etc...) from your laptop or PC via USB and play it on ps3.

but, if you only interested in watching movie, please ignore what i said. i am not a fan of Sony(even though i am alpha user) but i have to salute them for making ps3 such a powerful machine.

taken from the web.

--------------------------
Compatible media formats

The PlayStation 3 is capable of photo, audio, and video playback in a variety of formats. It also includes various photo slideshow options and several music visualizations. The following table lists the photo, audio, and video formats that are supported on the PS3.

Image formats

* JPEG[a]
* GIF
* TIFF
* BMP
* PNG

Audio formats

* MP3
* MP3 Surround
* WAV
* WMA 9[c]
* ATRAC[c]
* Audio CD
* SACD[d] (discontinued on newer models)[48]
* MP4 Audio
* MPEG-4 Part 3
* AAC / AAC Low Complexity (unprotected)

Video formats

* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS[e] (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS[e] (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
* VC-1[c] (.wmv)
* AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
* AVI[79]
* DivX,[e][f] DivX VOD
* XviD[e][f]
* Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
* Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
* MP4 Video
* MP4 via DivX AVI
* MP4 SP[g]
* MP4 AVC / MP4 H.264[h]
* DVD Video
* BD Video format on Blu-ray Disc
* BD Video format on DVD-ROM
-------------------------------

Last edited:
the PS3 can also be used to stream movies from your PC. you can download media server software like TVersity or PS3 Media Server, and you will be able to watch movie files on your PC using the PS3. you can also subscribe to podcasts and movie streams and watch it off the ps3.

register for a HK ps3 account, and you can download HK concert trailers, HD TV shows etc from the HK PS store. same with an US account too.

i'd go for the ps3 any day over an ordinary bluray disc player.

A happt user of PS3 as well.. Highly recommended! :thumbsup:

The PS3 is easily the best BR player out there.

How much is a full specs version these days? Not the slim down version. And where best place to get one? Thanking everyone in advance.

Sorry forget to say full specs PS3 with whatever freebies.

Thanks all for the recommendations, especially to petetherock for the two links. Lots to read about. I think the safest bet is to go for the PS3 for me even though I don't play games on it (that can change though!)

no more fat version already zzz.....slim doesnt mean not good...

Slim I read have less usb ports and worst cannot play ps2 games. True or not?

even the fat versions cannot play PS2 games..unless you have the old 60gb version. but then it's not such a big deal, right? why play PS2 games when you have the new games?

it's a "good to have feature", but quite useless to 99% of the general population.

USB ports also not a big problem, because all the controllers are bluetooth. USB ports used for external HDDs or other gadgets. i think 2 are sufficient. i still use a grand total of zero USB ports

even the fat versions cannot play PS2 games..unless you have the old 60gb version. but then it's not such a big deal, right? why play PS2 games when you have the new games?

it's a "good to have feature", but quite useless to 99% of the general population.

USB ports also not a big problem, because all the controllers are bluetooth. USB ports used for external HDDs or other gadgets. i think 2 are sufficient. i still use a grand total of zero USB ports

Wow! I did not realized that I belong to 1% of I hope the Singapore population that still own ps2 games and in fact still quite many ps1 games. If any of the 99% of the population who wish to dispose of their old ps3 console can tell me how I can get a ps3 that is back compatible, used or unused, I would be very grateful.

If any of the 99% of the population who wish to dispose of their old ps3 console can tell me how I can get a ps3 that is back compatible, used or unused, I would be very grateful.

Search on hardwarezone for the second-hand units.