Bloggers in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slivester

Deregistered
Nov 9, 2004
Woodlands
humors.deviantart.com
I was reading the article regarding the Web blog awards for Best asian blogger, and inevitably stumble upon the top 2 finalist's blog. Did a little read through, first time reading a local blogger's, and I am rather shocked at what they are quite capable of writing.

Anti-government, trivial and unnecessary provocative, and also misleading, thats what I can comment of.

Especially the part on anti-government, equipping themselves with the constitution doesn't really mean they are right in all of their posts.

those are just mainly blogs to attract attention....

seriously anything "interesting" most of the time means.... gossip, sex, lust, exageration and a more happening life than it actually is.

most of the time these blogs are just meant to cater to the public eye..

althought they are interesting sometimes..
i dont like them

Rheo said:
those are just mainly blogs to attract attention....

seriously anything "interesting" most of the time means.... gossip, sex, lust, exageration and a more happening life than it actually is.

most of the time these blogs are just meant to cater to the public eye..

althought they are interesting sometimes..
i dont like them

Agree! :thumbsup:
I believe local press is hailing these bloggers as the "speakers of the darker corners" of our society. Its more like trying to catch the limelight while popularity comes in priority than truth.

Slivester said:
Agree! :thumbsup:
I believe local press is hailing these bloggers as the "speakers of the darker corners" of our society. Its more like trying to catch the limelight while popularity comes in priority than truth.

anti-govt does not equate to anti-State.:nono:

Singaporean bloggers are for the most part self-centered.
I don't mean that in the bad sense, just that their blogs are all about what they do, who they see, who they don't like etc etc etc.
It's mostly me me me.

Rarely is there a singaporean blog that's discussing social issues or expresses political opinion. The former probably when there is a 'hot' issue (NS, NKF, CPF) and the latter... don't really express mature political opinions which are backed by facts.

Can't blame the lack of political opinion or unawareness of social issues. That's the social landscape here. It's a nanny state so we either have citizens who are resigned to not speaking and hope the government takes care of everything or we have citizens who will lash out and complain about everything under the sun and then expect the government to take care of everything :bsmilie:

It will be quite awhile before we reach the blogging culture/maturity that you see in the west where bloggers wield actual power against corporations (sony rootkit fiasco) and even governments (especially USA).

radedward said:
Can't blame the lack of political opinion or unawareness of social issues. That's the social landscape here. It's a nanny state so we either have citizens who are resigned to not speaking and hope the government takes care of everything or we have citizens who will lash out and complain about everything under the sun and then expect the government to take care of everything :bsmilie:

Er, but you forget that those citizens who have spoken out either get thrown in jail, sued till they are broke, or simply get chased out of the country under the threat of both............

Slivester said:
Erm alright, and my response was with regard to the bloggers' anti-government stance, not the nation, that I am sure.

ah I see..;)

kahheng said:
Er, but you forget that those citizens who have spoken out either get thrown in jail, sued till they are broke, or simply get chased out of the country under the threat of both............

It's true but it's the way they spoke out. I don't think politics should be inflammatory. There should be a debate but the debate should be supported by facts. I look at the Chee Soon Juan school of politics and I wonder how credible he is with all his "Show me the money!" theatrics.

It is no doubt a fine line between speaking passionately about something and shooting one's mouth off .

mi not Sg'rean. but i tink its a waste of time to blog. mebbe they juz want attention.

radedward said:
It's true but it's the way they spoke out. I don't think politics should be inflammatory. There should be a debate but the debate should be supported by facts. I look at the Chee Soon Juan school of politics and I wonder how credible he is with all his "Show me the money!" theatrics.

It is no doubt a fine line between speaking passionately about something and shooting one's mouth off .

How old are you?

radedward said:
Rarely is there a singaporean blog that's discussing social issues or expresses political opinion. The former probably when there is a 'hot' issue (NS, NKF, CPF) and the latter... don't really express mature political opinions which are backed by facts.

have you read rockson?

precious.jas said:
rockson rocks man! kenny sia also :p

No doubt on Rockson Tan, love his style in condemning the devils, but that is about all I supposed, no more futile production from the lion city.

As for kennysia, he appeared to be rather a gossip writer, or one that doesn't equip much with the facts of life.

kahheng said:
How old are you?

old enough.
yes, I know it all sounds very naive but if you want to get into a duel with an opponent, you don't want him pulling the trigger too early. That is what happened in most of the cases, they wanted immediate results and used tactics that gave people an opening to shoot them first before they ever got the chance to do any good. Unless you have friends in very high places, you need an unimpeachable character if you want to run for government as the opposition. I don't think anyone can do anything to you if you run a clean campaign.

Churchill once said "Democracy is the worst form of government until you look at the alternatives."

The same thing applies to the politics we have here.
Don't get me wrong, I do admire some of the opposition party members but they are too few of them who are really good.

i blog a bit.. but very little actuaaly
just started two months ago.. its not really prgressing cause i'm lazy but i'm getting there..
anyways its more for wat i have done or things i want my friends to read if they have not seen me for sometime...
wats happening to me or around me ... that kind of stuff..
tats all.

But very very slow progress
ha ha

Wats a blog for anyway..
;p

radedward said:
old enough.
yes, I know it all sounds very naive but if you want to get into a duel with an opponent, you don't want him pulling the trigger too early. That is what happened in most of the cases, they wanted immediate results and used tactics that gave people an opening to shoot them first before they ever got the chance to do any good. Unless you have friends in very high places, you need an unimpeachable character if you want to run for government as the opposition. I don't think anyone can do anything to you if you run a clean campaign.

Churchill once said "Democracy is the worst form of government until you look at the alternatives."

The same thing applies to the politics we have here.
Don't get me wrong, I do admire some of the opposition party members but they are too few of them who are really good.

1. There's no such thing as a clean campaign. Politics is never clean.

2. Singapore is only a democracy in principle, not practice.

Live a little more..... check your perspective on this down the road.

kahheng said:
1. There's no such thing as a clean campaign. Politics is never clean.

2. Singapore is only a democracy in principle, not practice.

Live a little more..... check your perspective on this down the road.

If democracy is not in practice, it will not be in principle as well.

radedward said:

I have 12 on my RSS feeds.

Slivester said:
If democracy is not in practice, it will not be in principle as well.

That's not true. In principle, you can vote anyone in and anyone out via the election process in our country - the rules allow that. Which is why, it's correct to call our political system a democracy.

Whether this is practicable is a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.