Blinking dots : PC gurus wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndroo

Staff member
Nov 22, 2003
www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
www.fuzzyeyeballs.com
I notice some strange blinking dots on certain part of images when I view them on my LCD. It's not permanent on the LCD, because when it scroll the image up/down, it 'stays' on the image. Is there anything I should check? Btw, I just replaced my LCD (with a same model) because the earlier one somehow died. Any help?

Might be stuck pixels... when they blink, they remain the same position/color?

How about other applications? Does every application you use give you this problem? Eg: MS Word etc etc.

espn said:
Might be stuck pixels... when they blink, they remain the same position/color?

How about other applications? Does every application you use give you this problem? Eg: MS Word etc etc.

Nope. They don't seem to be stuck (if you mean permanent location on screen). It's like random dots blinking when view images (no blinking etc in MS word etc). Only on images or logos (sometimes). When scrolling up and down, it 'follows' the images :dunno:

Hmmm might be the screen or might be the video card.

hmm check whether hsf of gfx card is spinning :)

jsut a question.. are you running win xp and just upgraded to their 'colour management' thingy?

cos I think I'm suffering the same thing and the only change I did was to 'upgrade' the colour management thingy.. :think:

yanyewkay said:
jsut a question.. are you running win xp and just upgraded to their 'colour management' thingy?

cos I think I'm suffering the same thing and the only change I did was to 'upgrade' the colour management thingy.. :think:

No, I didn't update anything recently leh :dunno:

maybe your lcd is crying for SOS... ;p

btw, have you enabled your truetype fonts? if yes, den disable them, i find it relatively useless feature... crash with alot of software...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
maybe your lcd is crying for SOS... ;p

btw, have you enabled your truetype fonts? if yes, den disable them, i find it relatively useless feature... crash with alot of software...

Oh no ... hope it's not the LCD, as I just got it replaced last week. :cry: :sweat:

Truetype fonts? Will they affect the display? :dunno:

ndroo said:
Oh no ... hope it's not the LCD, as I just got it replaced last week. :cry: :sweat:

Truetype fonts? Will they affect the display? :dunno:

ya... its not the fonts actually, its the setting to the video settings... (paiseh its Cleartype not truetype...)

like when u go Display Properties, Appearance, den Effects, den u see Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts: den u see if its standard or Cleartype...

ndroo said:
I notice some strange blinking dots on certain part of images when I view them on my LCD. It's not permanent on the LCD, because when it scroll the image up/down, it 'stays' on the image. Is there anything I should check? Btw, I just replaced my LCD (with a same model) because the earlier one somehow died. Any help?

Here's an alternative view....

What picture viewer or s/w are you using to view the picture?

I feels very much like the viewing program had a "gamut" indicator enabled? A gamut is the range of colors that a color system can display or print. The spectrum of colors seen by the human eye is wider than the gamut available in any color model. When it fall "outside" the range, certain graphic editing program or viewers has the ability to indicate that to you. It can be indicated as some bright or flourecent green which can be static or blinking over those areas. It can also be an over or under exposure indicators. If you have scenes with white out sky, bright parts or dark shadows where the sensor can not detect details it will indicate that out to you in the same way as the gamut indicator.

Check out if you have that kind of built-in indicator in your program...it just might be what's causing the blinking in specific areas of pictures whenever you view your photos with the program. If you scroll the pictures and thos blinking patches follow it in the same spots, that is most likely it.

sammy888 said:
Here's an alternative view....

What picture viewer or s/w are you using to view the picture?

I feels very much like the viewing program had a "gamut" indicator enabled? A gamut is the range of colors that a color system can display or print. The spectrum of colors seen by the human eye is wider than the gamut available in any color model. When it fall "outside" the range, certain graphic editing program or viewers has the ability to indicate that to you. It can be indicated as some bright or flourecent green which can be static or blinking over those areas. It can also be an over or under exposure indicators. If you have scenes with white out sky, bright parts or dark shadows where the sensor can not detect details it will indicate that out to you in the same way as the gamut indicator.

Check out if you have that kind of built-in indicator in your program...it just might be what's causing the blinking in specific areas of pictures whenever you view your photos with the program. If you scroll the pictures and thos blinking patches follow it in the same spots, that is most likely it.

Thanks for the reply, Sammy. I experience this even in IE when I'm viewing pics online.

These "thingys" are called artifacts, there are produced when:

1) You overclock your GFX card too much
2) HSF died and GFX processor overheating
3) GFX up the lorry soon

DeusExMachina said:
These "thingys" are called artifacts, there are produced when:

1) You overclock your GFX card too much
2) HSF died and GFX processor overheating
3) GFX up the lorry soon

Thanks for the tips. I don't overclock my stuff and #2 and #3 almost scared me to death. :bsmilie: My LCD and GFX were just replaced last weekend :sweat:

Anyway, problem solved :) Changed the refresh rate to 70 (from 60) and everything seems ok now.

THanks everyone :thumbsup:

ndroo said:
#@!&*#&*@^#~!!! Now those dots don't appear on images but still appear on videos! Argh! *(&$@*#&*(!!!

check your video card... look like sign of dying... get other to test.

Check your display colour depth. Try switching it to 16-bit and see if the problem still appears.
Have you tried upgrading your video drivers to the latest version?

Status
Not open for further replies.