Blinded by love!

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Poly student gets 16 years jail, 16 strokes of cane for attempted murder
Posted: 02 July 2008 2352 hrs

SINGAPORE : A polytechnic student, who viciously slashed the father of a girl he had a relationship with and two maids working for the girl's family, has been sentenced to sixteen year's jail and 16 strokes of the cane.

In the course of the High Court trial, 23-year-old Batla Jatin Navin, an Indian national, had pleaded guilty to one charge of attempted murder, one charge of wrongful restraint and two charges of causing grievous hurt.

In passing sentence, Justice Kan Ting Chiu said the attack on the girl's 72-year-old father, Mr Shahani Manik Ram, in their Dalvey Road bungalow in June 2006, had been "premeditated".

Mr Shahani, a retired shipping magnate, had objected to Navin seeing his 38-year-old web designer daughter, Ms Mumta Shahani, who was divorced with an eight-year-old son.

Mr Shahani, a retired Singaporean shipping magnate, lost one litre of blood and needed emergency surgery after the stabbing.

For attempting to murder Mr Shahani, Navin, who was studying marine engineering under a shipping company scholarship, was sentenced to 10 years' jail and six strokes of the cane.

For hurting each of the two maids, he was given six years' jail and five strokes.

The jail terms for hurting the two maids will run concurrently. - TODAY /ls

Blinded by Love? power of love? SAD!!!:(

either the person writing got maths issue or something...

For attempting to murder Mr Shahani, Navin, who was studying marine engineering under a shipping company scholarship, was sentenced to 10 years' jail and six strokes of the cane.

For hurting each of the two maids, he was given six years' jail and five strokes.

so its 10 years + 6 years = 16 years... then the strokes wrong... cos it will be only 6 + 5... but if u add 2x 6years + 10 years, is 22 years & 16 strokes...

so confusing...

The power of ambiguity. It affects even journalists. Serious.

Also, IIRC, wars have been started in the name of love.

so its 10 years + 6 years = 16 years... then the strokes wrong... cos it will be only 6 + 5... but if u add 2x 6years + 10 years, is 22 years & 16 strokes...

so confusing...

Ya hor...no wonder just now i read it alittle blur blur also!

The jail terms for hurting the two maids will run concurrently.
so that's correct on
10 + 6 (2x concurrently) year = 16 years
6 + 5 x 2 = 16 strokes

Honestly... I don't think it was love. More like lust. He found a woman who was willing to satisfy him, and when the dad said "no", he went into a testosterone rage.

I mean c'mon... She's 38, he's 23. He could be *her* son!

so confusing...
Coz only the jail term is concurrent right? So the caning should all add up, isn't it?

so confusing...

1st charge = 10 years + six strokes
2nd charge = 6 years + 5 strokes
3rd charge = 6 years + 5 strokes..

but the sentences run concurrently..so does that mean 10 years + 16 strokes ? :confused:

so yeah..it should be 22 years + 16 strokes..

At least he nvr steal rifle. Hahaha

The reporter got his english right.

The first charge = 10 years + 6 strokes
The second charge = 6 years + 5 strokes
The third charge = 6 years + 5 strokes

Now the second and third charges will run concurrently i.e. the 6 years is common for both. So the years become = 10+6 = 16 years
The caning on the other hand is each so caning = 6+5+5 = 16 strokes

Mathematics and English aside, that idiot came all the way from India to study or get involved in such stuff? Destroyed his life and his career. :dunno::nono:Its not as if the woman is going to take any of the punishment for him. I wonder if the judge thought about the possibility of the woman being the instigator. Hmmm

She's not old enough to be his mom unless she had him when she was 15 lah. Haiyo :eek: :sweat:

Mathematics and English aside, that idiot came all the way from India to study or get involved in such stuff? Destroyed his life and his career. :dunno::nono:Its not as if the woman is going to take any of the punishment for him. I wonder if the judge thought about the possibility of the woman being the instigator. Hmmm

She's not old enough to be his mom unless she had him when she was 15 lah. Haiyo :eek: :sweat:

likewise he will look like he is 15 when he had the step son... (if he marry her that is...)

Honestly... I don't think it was love. More like lust. He found a woman who was willing to satisfy him, and when the dad said "no", he went into a testosterone rage.

I mean c'mon... She's 38, he's 23. He could be *her* son!

Sorry, don't mean to pick a fight here.

But if he is 38 and she is 23 :think: Objection or not........:bsmilie:

Sorry, don't mean to pick a fight here.

But if he is 38 and she is 23 :think: Objection or not........:bsmilie:

It's a matter of hormones. Men and women peak at different ages. :)

And 38 and 23 is a bit huge, no matter which way the genders go.

First of all, the sentence is correct. I have no problem with it.

What I have a problem is what on earth is the father doing or thinking. His daughter is 38 years old. She can make up her mind. If she wants a boy toy, that is her decision, not his. At some point, parents have to back off.

Dalvey Road Bungalow ... rich, very rich, proud, upper cast folks...

Daughter ... divorced, middle-aged and with a son ... past skeletons...and shame...

Young student ... unknown cast ... family fortunes ??? ... or none...scandals and family 'honor', already tarnished from previous failed marriage ... can;t bear the burden of another round of tongue wagging...

There may be additional culturally-related factors that we don;t know of...

Status
Not open for further replies.