Blackberry

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Other mobiles use distributed networks. BlackBerry services go through a centralized network. When that fails, it has maximum impact. How does RIM revive the brand image after this. Will current owners think of changing brands. If they change brands, it is difficult to woo them back.

RIM has already been struggling and is on the verge of bankruptcy anyway. With GChat and iChat and whatsapp, etc, all offering similar services, and push email being very common, i don't see them surviving.

Just a personal opinion:

So far I like my Blackberry 9700. Qwerty keyboard, form factor, good battery life. It suits me well. The OS already allows me to do things I want/need to do on a smart phone, so no complain on that area either.

As long as there are people who have similar requirements like mine, I guess the Blackberry platform will exist. ( Although probably it won't be under RIM anymore =p )

But then again my personal opinion doesn't really reflect the whole market's, so fingers are crossed here and there.

Also, I don't say I won't jump into other platforms, sometimes it's good to try new things once in a while =)

Don't flame me ah, just 2 cents at 2 am in the morning..

SilentSeth said:
Just a personal opinion:

So far I like my Blackberry 9700. Qwerty keyboard, form factor, good battery life. It suits me well. The OS already allows me to do things I want/need to do on a smart phone, so no complain on that area either.

As long as there are people who have similar requirements like mine, I guess the Blackberry platform will exist. ( Although probably it won't be under RIM anymore =p )

But then again my personal opinion doesn't really reflect the whole market's, so fingers are crossed here and there.

Also, I don't say I won't jump into other platforms, sometimes it's good to try new things once in a while =)

I love blackberry for its size, battery life and the keyboard too. I am sure I can type my SMS far faster than most touch screen users without looking at the keyboard some more. But it is the hard truth, if the business model fails, it doesn't matter if the product is good.

Blackberry recent attempts seems to bring little value to the mobile industry. Tablet is not especially successful, OS is boring. No challenges no features. If all they wanna sell is just BBM, ask them to just sell the business away to someone more interested to beef up the platform. Their app store is boring me.

Might just go back apple and live a more vibrant style. Darn it.

Rashkae said:
Come to the wild side. Go Android. ;)

Thanks but no thanks. The way I see android platform from where I stand, it is indeed wild and messy. The form factor, the apps, the infra structure. Duh.... :)

I love blackberry for its size, battery life and the keyboard too. I am sure I can type my SMS far faster than most touch screen users without looking at the keyboard some more. But it is the hard truth, if the business model fails, it doesn't matter if the product is good.

Blackberry recent attempts seems to bring little value to the mobile industry. Tablet is not especially successful, OS is boring. No challenges no features. If all they wanna sell is just BBM, ask them to just sell the business away to someone more interested to beef up the platform. Their app store is boring me.

Might just go back apple and live a more vibrant style. Darn it.

Yes I agree with this "hard truth" as well. You can't really escape from the major/mass demand. If there's only 30% ppl like me and 70% who prefer Apple's/Android's/(insert yours here) business model, then they better serve the mass market.

Anyway, many years ago, Apple was actually -in a way- in RIM's position.

So.. it is interesting to see how these major business players, RIM -and probably Nokia- , trying to regain the market they have lost to the new players.

Come to the wild side. Go Android. ;)

If Android comes with a non-camera version, I'll grab it..Currently the only smartphones which is Non camera is either HTC (Snap, touch2) or Blackberry. But HTC win mobile simply CMI..

If Android comes with a non-camera version, I'll grab it.. Currently the only smartphones which is Non camera is either HTC (Snap, touch2) or Blackberry. But HTC win mobile simply CMI..
Exactly not much choice for people working in a high security environment who risk getting their clearance revoked for violating protocol and sad to say, the range of smartphones available for such users are extremely limited.

I personally use a blackberry and android handset during and outside work respectively so probably BlackBerry IMHO still has a niche market to rely on as IIRC non-camera handsets are incompatible with Android as per their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD).

Exactly not much choice for people working in a high security environment who risk getting their clearance revoked for violating protocol and sad to say, the range of smartphones available for such users are extremely limited.

I personally use a blackberry and android handset during and outside work respectively so probably BlackBerry IMHO still has a niche market to rely on as IIRC non-camera handsets are incompatible with Android as per their Compatibility Definition Document (CDD).

ya..very limited choices. And also sad to say that probably one day really got no smart phones w/o cameras. have to go back to dumb phone (e.g the currently quite popular Nokia 1616). Currently using a HTC Touch2 now, hated it. Surfing + mp3 player = browser crash and mp3 player lag every 1/2 second.

Was waiting for the elusive BB touch non-camera version (dunno if coming or not). Also after reading about the service outage, dunno stable or not...but not much of a choice do we users of non-camera phones.

SilentSeth said:
Just a personal opinion:

Is it true there is a need to pay some extra subscription for bb?

Is it true there is a need to pay some extra subscription for bb?

You pay extra for BIS (Blackberry Internet Service), to sync your emails, buy apps, access the Internet. But you may always opt not to subscribe for BIS if you plan to use your Blackberry as a dumb phone (aka just sms and calls).

I am using blackberry for the battery and qwerty keyboard.. no need 3g/gprs or apps.. (Cheap and good)

I am iPhone 4 user, recently acquired BB Torch 9800 using multi simcard. After a while I use my BB more than iPhone since it handle email better than iPhone. Also on BB is not data hungry like iPhone, it really safe some $$ for data roaming. But for entertainment wise I still prefer iP4.

I absolutely rely on my Blackberry for security reasons, especially the older models. It's a huge solid power brick they call it, for self protection when one is being robbed. I feel safe having my BB, try knocking someone with an Iphone, it becomes Ifaulty.

This was the iconic Motorola brick phone that we used to see in Hong Kong gangster movies where it served as a weapon in gangland fights. At that time it was the most expensive thing and a status symbol. So usually the gangster head would be the one holding it.

images

Last edited:
This was the iconic Motorola brick phone that we used to see in Hong Kong gangster movies where it served as a weapon in gangland fights. At that time it was the most expensive thing and a status symbol. So usually the gangster head would be the one holding it.

images

dai gor dai...

go back to basic. go Nokia :)

ya...I'm using one now...
Nokia-1616.png