black & white

Status
Not open for further replies.

noizgod

Jan 20, 2006
tampines
hi guys:) i am new to the world of dslr. hope i can get some nice constructive reply;p . i am using d70 and have read the manual. but it doesn't state that if i can take shots in b/w. do you guys know if d70 supports this? help me please...thank you:cheers: .

D70/D70S cannot take B&W photographs. If you have Nikon Capture or other 3rd party image editors, you have a way around that.

Regards

yyD70S said:
D70/D70S cannot take B&W photographs. If you have Nikon Capture or other 3rd party image editors, you have a way around that.

Regards

ok that was a fast reply. thanks pal.:thumbsup:

Here'a a tip. Even if your final output is B&W, shoot in colour. Every competent digital photographer, even those who specialize in B&W shots, shoots in colour.

Convert the colour shots to B&W using photo editing packages like PS. The colour channels will provide much more information for more details and better tonality in your B&W prints.

solarii said:
Here'a a tip. Even if your final output is B&W, shoot in colour. Every competent digital photographer, even those who specialize in B&W shots, shoots in colour.

Convert the colour shots to B&W using photo editing packages like PS. The colour channels will provide much more information for more details and better tonality in your B&W prints.

Bro, when you say converting colour shots to B&W in PS. Do you do it as simply as changing the mode to B&W or is there a more chim way of doing it? Thanks for sharing.

Heartshape said:
Bro, when you say converting colour shots to B&W in PS. Do you do it as simply as changing the mode to B&W or is there a more chim way of doing it? Thanks for sharing.

what i usually do is to go to adjustments, hue & saturation, pull the saturation lever down all the way and then go to channels, adjust the Red channel lever to your liking. hope it helps :)

You can simulate red blue or green filters by using a channel mixer layer and desautrating the other 2 channels then clicking monochorme. You can then adjust the image by tweaking the levels or curves of that particular channel.

Check out the National Library for a good source of books. I am currently reading "the Digital Photography Workbook" by Simon Joinson & Peter Cope. IT describe the workflow on converting your images to B&W. Or check the web for more info...;)

use the Channel Swap Settings in the CS2 CD to change to Black and White... much better than discharging color information via conversion... :p

I dun think on camera b+w settings is tat... spactacular...;p

Heartshape said:

If I want to desaturate it by changing modes, I might as well shoot in B&W in the first place.
There are 5 main way of doing it:

1) Image>Mode>Greyscale
This is the method you mentioned. Its fast but gives you no control over the conversion

2) Image>Adjustments>Desaturate
Same as above

3)Image>Mode>Lab color (Discard channel A or B)
Better results than the above 2 ways, destructive editing. Still not much control over the process

4)Channel Mixer Adjustment Layer
By far the best option. Simple, effective, with lots of control

5)Film/Filter method
Use a combination of 2 Hue/Saturation Adjustment layers. One layer desaturates, the other acts as a colour filter. Similar to 4), slightly more control, but harder to use unless you're a pro in B&W and know exactly how colour filters affect B&W images.

Status
Not open for further replies.