Black & white tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nightwolf75 said:
actually, u can try BnW photography (not developing or printing... not yet, anyway) by getting the Kodak 400 BnW film which uses C41 processing - ie, any neighbourhood lab will be able to develop the film for u.

See post #4. He tried Kodak 400 CN

nightwolf75 said:
yah... i see the BnW purists preparing a bonfire and stake for me liao...
pom.gif
(sorry, doc...)

Me? I am not a purist! I have a PS CS2 to convert color images to B&W!

nightwolf75 said:
its not the best BnW film ard. but for experimenting with bnw photography without being too bothered by developing and printing (which is both an art and science), the kodak film is worth a try just to dip ur toes into BnW. once u get the hang of seeing the world in tones rather than colours, then move onto proper BnW films and mebbe sign up for proper classes on developing and printing. both Objectifs and SAFRA Photography Club offer such courses.

There is no "best" B&W film around. Just what suits one's purpose.

But to judge what B&W have to offer without going into printing is like, to me, "Photography Coitus Interruptus"! - But human nature as it is, some people do like that!

student said:
See post #4. He tried Kodak 400 CN

ah... me bad. miss dat.

Me? I am not a purist! I have a PS CS2 to convert color images to B&W!

There is no "best" B&W film around. Just what suits one's purpose.

But to judge what B&W have to offer without going into printing is like, to me, "Photography Coitus Interruptus"! - But human nature as it is, some people do like that!

so do i, actually. but (no offense), the old fogey in me prefer BnW film lah... :sweatsm:

u should have seen me getting the up-turned noses from some folks when i turned to using kodak 400CN... to some, this is not BnW film. for now, i chosed to use this becos i scan my prints and i dun trust my developing skills. i need to go SAFRA and learn... but, dats another story.

benji77 - if you want, u can try sending ur films to Riceball Books over at adelphi for developing and printing. Zhong Ling @ Riceball will explain to u the charges and show u some sample prints from his own collection. quite good, actually. do check it out? :)

nightwolf75 said:
u should have seen me getting the up-turned noses from some folks when i turned to using kodak 400CN... to some, this is not BnW film. for now, i chosed to use this becos i scan my prints and i dun trust my developing skills. i need to go SAFRA and learn... but, dats another story.

There is definite place for C41 films. They have a very different charactistics. I had some pictures of a young lady taken with with the 400CN and Trix.

If I can find the pictures I might post them.

One reason to use silver films is tailored development.

BTW, I thought you learnt B&W developing from some place?

nightwolf75 said:
benji77 - if you want, u can try sending ur films to Riceball Books over at adelphi for developing and printing. Zhong Ling @ Riceball will explain to u the charges and show u some sample prints from his own collection. quite good, actually. do check it out? :)

I can certainly confirm that the prints Zhong Ling took of his girl are quite well done.

Finally got my first roll of Ilford Delta 400 contact printed.
Looks much better than what I did with my Kodak 400CN. But will have to wait till I get some of the shots in 4R.

I shot most of this roll at f/5.6, 1/60, 1/125.
They were mostly portrait shots of people doing Tai Chi. It was about 8am, with fair lighting.

Should I have used a smaller f/stop since it was just a protrait of a person? Is there a gradient that I should work around with?

Benji77 said:
I shot most of this roll at f/5.6, 1/60, 1/125.
They were mostly portrait shots of people doing Tai Chi. It was about 8am, with fair lighting.

Should I have used a smaller f/stop since it was just a protrait of a person?

The choice of aperture will depend on what you are trying to achieve. Meaning how much of the background you want in focus or out of focus.

This is an esthetic that you yourself will have to decide. Some people want very shallow depth of field, but others want great depth of field.

Benji77 said:
Is there a gradient that I should work around with?

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

student said:
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about!

:)
Sorry, let me translate from my alien language.
What I meant is that for portraits, is there a preferred f/stop that is recommended? Like for eg: f/4 or F2.8? I ask coz I would like to how much this will affect the subject. I know it will give a shallow depth of field, but how will it affect the subject?

Sorry ah, I am asking this coz I heard something about choosing the correct f/stop and would like to confirm it.

Benji77 said:
:)
Sorry, let me translate from my alien language.
What I meant is that for portraits, is there a preferred f/stop that is recommended? Like for eg: f/4 or F2.8? I ask coz I would like to how much this will affect the subject. I know it will give a shallow depth of field, but how will it affect the subject?

Sorry ah, I am asking this coz I heard something about choosing the correct f/stop and would like to confirm it.

The answer will be similar to my last post. What are you trying to achieve in the final image?

Do you want the tip of the nose to the ear to be in full focus? If so, use a small aperture. Or do you only want the eyes to be in focus but others out of focus. Then even use a f1.0!

There is no such thing as a formulaic "correct" aperture for all portraitures. The "correct" one is the one that will give you the effect you want.

I hope that you will try to think of the final image you wish to see, then chose your "settings" (really hate that word!) to get that image you have in your mind.

My shots so far are mediocre. Honest!
It does not give me the impact that I wish to portray.
Guess I am too worried about the 'settings' like you said and did not pay attention enough to the composition of the shot.

For eg, I would like the portrait to fill as much of the frame as possible, but it always turns out that it does not stand out from the shot. The presence is not felt. Their smile and expression is not 'shouting' at you and getting that attention.

Reactions from my friends tell me that it does not carry that effect that I intended to portray during the shoot.

Benji77 said:
My shots so far are mediocre. Honest!
It does not give me the impact that I wish to portray.
Guess I am too worried about the 'settings' like you said and did not pay attention enough to the composition of the shot.

For eg, I would like the portrait to fill as much of the frame as possible, but it always turns out that it does not stand out from the shot. The presence is not felt. Their smile and expression is not 'shouting' at you and getting that attention.

Reactions from my friends tell me that it does not carry that effect that I intended to portray during the shoot.

Shoot for yourself dude, not for other people. That's how you'd be different. Don't follow the same dreaded old path to uniformity among the masses...you won't be doing yourself justice.

Wisp said:
Shoot for yourself dude, not for other people. That's how you'd be different. Don't follow the same dreaded old path to uniformity among the masses...you won't be doing yourself justice.
Thanks for the encouragement Wisp!

Status
Not open for further replies.