Black&white photography advice needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

di0nysus

Jul 15, 2003
m
Visit site
Dear CS'ers,

I"ve just gotten a film camera E500, I'd like to try out some BnW photography on
Moday 9th of October 2006.

I'm using 2 DSLRs as main and backup cameras. Just want to experiment with film (total newbie).

Would appreciate any advice in:
1)What film to use and where to get them
2)What settings to use. I'm planning to go w/o flash for this camera.
3)Where to develope/scan

Cheers!

-Depending on your preference, you will not go wrong with either Kodak, Ilford or even Fujifilm.

-If you don't mind the grainy looks, I suggest you use T-Max 3200 and rate it at ISO 1600. You don't really need a flash with this film.

3)Where to develope/scan
-You can try Ruby, Riceball or Photo-Hub.

THanks photobum!!

Searched and Ruby do not open on Sundays, not sure if Riceball or photohub carries any BnW film!

actually i needed some B&W film yesterday and didnt have a chance to go to ruby. managed to find some whilst i was at takashimaya. there is a developing shop near the foodcourt (cant remember if its b1 or b2.) they had tmax 100 and 400 in stock.

Would appreciate any advice in:
3)Where to develope/scan
Cheers!

1) sigh... u are left with 3 choices, actually. kodak (tmax, trix and 400CN), fuji (think only konota has them - the neopan) and ilford (HP, delta - all at ruby). not as many choices like overseas. if u are lucky (no pun intended), some CSers might bring in those china-made Lucky brand BnW film once in a while. for beginners, i'll try tmax. its a little more forgiving in exposure and the grain is a little finer, IMO. for convenience, u can buy the 400CN. this film can be developed at normal neighbourhood photo labs as they use the same developing process as colour negs.

2) settings - exactly the same as when using DSLRs. ie. get ur exposure right. no rocket science here, IMO. ;p

3) if u are using anything else apart from 400CN, u can bring it to ruby or riceball books (look for zhong ling, adelphi centre basement). they do developing. cost varies tho. scanning - any neighbourhood shop with scanning facilities will do.

1) sigh... u are left with 3 choices, actually. kodak (tmax, trix and 400CN), fuji (think only konota has them - the neopan) and ilford (HP, delta - all at ruby). not as many choices like overseas. if u are lucky (no pun intended), some CSers might bring in those china-made Lucky brand BnW film once in a while. for beginners, i'll try tmax. its a little more forgiving in exposure and the grain is a little finer, IMO. for convenience, u can buy the 400CN. this film can be developed at normal neighbourhood photo labs as they use the same developing process as colour negs.

2) settings - exactly the same as when using DSLRs. ie. get ur exposure right. no rocket science here, IMO. ;p

3) if u are using anything else apart from 400CN, u can bring it to ruby or riceball books (look for zhong ling, adelphi centre basement). they do developing. cost varies tho. scanning - any neighbourhood shop with scanning facilities will do.

1) Yeah, I agree with nightwolf on the overseas part ... Am in Sydney and am sitting on a small pile of B/W film. :cool: A bit costly out here though, at about AUD$9.00 each. Have tried quite a few, but personal favourites are 400Tx (Tri-X), and Neopan 1600 for the grain. Great for street photography if the camera's got a quiet shutter.

2) Settings? Erh, whatever you'd use normally with DSLRs. Composition is more important. You'll have to learn to see everything in greyscale, and keep an eye out for contrast.

3) I'll be back over the year end, and will need to find developers for B/W as well. Anyone got a favourite minilab that they've tried and tested?

I guess while I'm on the topic of B/W, you can take a peek at my album at www.daletan.com/blog. 2 B/W rolls shot recently. One on Neopan 1600 in Singapore and the other on 400CN in Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.