Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
Melbourne
Hi All,

We have been contacted by a company (who wishes to remain anonymous for the time being) in sourcing for a photographer (or photographers - not 100% finalised yet) who can meet their criteria in the production of a black & white photobook on Indonesia.

Following is the email (verified by me with telephone conversation to the company/organiser) spelling out what they are looking for.
==================================================

We are pleased to inform you that our company is in the midst of selecting a photographer to do a Black and White photo book launch. The theme will be Indonesia. This assignment serves as an excellent opportunity to showcase your skills and we will not discriminate between amatuers/professionals. Your portfolio speaks for itself.

Some of the photo book criteria are as follows:

1. Only black and white shots will be used;
2. Lots of human interest shots and landscape, from the countryside and towns (about 50/50);
3. Avoid "tricky", staged photographs and try to stay with natural lens work;
4. Avoid "postcard" imagery;
5. Include some architecturally unique aspects;
6. Each slide/image requires a title and its even better with a few words of interest on its location and date.

If you need past copies of our books as examples, or have additional queries, the viewing dates are fixed on 24th & 25th January 2005, 12.30pm-2pm at 63 Club Street. No appointment is required.

In addition, all interested parties must submit their portfolio containing no less than 20 black and white photographs (in jpeg format) that meets the first 6 criteria stated above by 28th January 2005. The submission must be in a CD format and full contact details should be included on the CD. Please initial all the photographs discretely at the top right hand corner. Include a self addressed envelope if you expect a return of your CD.

Please send the CD by 28th January 2005 to:
"Black and White Photo Book"
63 Club Street, Singapore 069437

Typically, the selected photographer can expect the following benefits:
1. About 100 of the hard copy final books for him to sell as special edition books;
2. Paid travel to 1 or 2 offices (Asia/The Americas) for the book launch;
3. A payment for his time and effort to support production of the book;
4. We have the books put into a couple of notable international B+W Photo Book museums;
5. Future revenue from follow on sales of images we use in the book for client gifts and decorating offices (amount and conditions to be determined via contract between the photographer and company).

Only shortlisted applicants will be notified by 18th Febuary 2005. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.

=====================================

If you are interested to participate and submit your photographs for consideration, please try to make it down to their offices on the 24th and 25th January to get more details directly from the organiser as we are only acting as an announcement avenue at this point in time.

We understand that the company is requesting for a CD with jpegs, but they may be willing to view a printed portfolio if available.

Questions can be posted here and we will try to liaise with the company and get you answers as quickly as possible.

Boost for the day. Reminder that interested photographers can go down to the address stated in the post at lunchtime today and tomorrow to get more details and to pass them your portfolio/CD.

Amendment : The company is not a local Singaporean company. Their HQ is in Canada, with branch representatives in Calgary, Denver, Houston, London, Bueno Aires, Singapore.

hi darren,

thanks for the info.

perhaps you could include some other info like

1) if there is going to be a "trip" (from what i understand) to indonesia, is it a paid trip ?

2) if there is going to be this "trip", when is it happening ?

sequitur said:
hi darren,

thanks for the info.

1) if there is going to be a "trip" (from what i understand) to indonesia, is it a paid trip ?

I have to confess that I did not get this information from the organiser. I will try to get some answers tomorrow. In any case, interested photographers can visit their office tomorrow at lunchtime and get the answers directly from the organiser.

Mid-week boost. Deadline is this Friday. Hurry Hurry.

sequitur said:
hi darren,

thanks for the info.

From my discussion with the organiser, what I understand is that the photographer will be given a set amount of monetary compensation and this compensation will cover the photographer's costs in terms of travel, production etc. This amount will be negotiated between the photographer and the company.

So, very simply, the photographer will be given S$XXX amount and he/she will then have to manage his own expenses and logistics and the company expects to receive a certain number of quality images for use in their photobook at the end of the assigned period.

Also, we are pleased to inform that interested photographers can still go to the address stated in the first post on 31st January and 1st February between 12:30pm and 2:00pm to get more information. You can also still send in your CDs via mail.

Hi there

I was at 63 Club Street and it is an architecture firm. No one wants to accept my CD. Can you please verify the address?

Thank you very much! You have a PM.

For those of you who are dropping by the office personally to submit your CD folio, please drop your entries in the box labelled "Black & White Photobook" at the address given in the thread.

Hi Darren,

This is a bit weird. So who exactly are we dealing with here. Maybe you can furnish us the company's name and not just an address. Is it the architecture firm as said in the previous posting?? I would like to submit but I also like to know who is holding on to my CD. If its only a box to drop in the CD, then how do we know whether this project is for real or not (not that I don't trust you) but I rather meet the people at the very least and know who I am dealing with. :)

chih wey

Please note that for those who are dropping by today to submit your entries, you can drop the entries into the box marked "Black & White Photobook" in the ground floor foyer.

I understand that the organiser has also put up some signage with a contact number to call in case you have further enquiries.

Please do not go into the architectural firm (they are NOT the organisers and DO NOT know about this) located on the 2nd Floor.

We assure members that this is not some fly-by-night or scam operation but its just that the company has requested anonymity from the general public.

Oh man ... I can't believe I missed this :angry: BANGZZZ SELF ON HEAD!!!

I guess it's way way way too late right?

Hi Darren, Any idea whether the company has found the person they want? :cool:

Hi Darren,
I submitted my folio with Cd, and attached a return envp with stamp.Was wondering if the selection is over and will i be getting my stufffs back?

thanks

I called them up and no decision has been made yet as of today (16 March 2005), the decision will be made in their headoffice overseas. Aside, I found the person on the phone not very helpful though, not professional at all....maybe she is doing this as a side job, or getting too many calls from clubsnappers?

Hong Sien

I am currently not in Singapore and I do not have the contact number of the person. I will check with them when I am back next week. As Hong Sien has already mentioned, they have not decided yet (I understand that the decision will be made by their HQ in Canada).

hongsien said:
I called them up and no decision has been made yet as of today (16 March 2005), the decision will be made in their headoffice overseas. Aside, I found the person on the phone not very helpful though, not professional at all....maybe she is doing this as a side job, or getting too many calls from clubsnappers?

Hong Sien

Wonder what you meant by professional. The person you talked to would probably be Ms. Ang. She is quite helpful and friendly when I spoke to her. It seems like the decision is still not made yet from their head office. So we just have to be patient. As for the CD that I submitted, she returned it to me a couple of days ago after I sent her an email reminder. The company that she works for is Waterous and they are not involved in photography directly. The photo book is just a gift that they make every year for their clients.

Hi, i submitted my stuffs, and have not recieved them back. Can anyone provide me the contact details on who to call and how to retreive my stuff back if they are done with it?

thanks in advance..

hedgehog said:
Wonder what you meant by professional. The person you talked to would probably be Ms. Ang. She is quite helpful and friendly when I spoke to her. It seems like the decision is still not made yet from their head office. So we just have to be patient. As for the CD that I submitted, she returned it to me a couple of days ago after I sent her an email reminder. The company that she works for is Waterous and they are not involved in photography directly. The photo book is just a gift that they make every year for their clients.
Well, I asked her (don't know the name) about the photo project? She answered: WHAT? what project....in a loud voice...told her that people were waiting fro some answer about this thing, and said it would be a goodidea if she could place some feedback on this here, she, just said: uh...ok, and hanged up even before I finished, not even saying bye :-(

HS

hongsien said:
Well, I asked her (don't know the name) about the photo project? She answered: WHAT? what project....in a loud voice...told her that people were waiting fro some answer about this thing, and said it would be a goodidea if she could place some feedback on this here, she, just said: uh...ok, and hanged up even before I finished, not even saying bye :-(

HS
wow..

that must have really got u miffed

Status
Not open for further replies.