Black & White film

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macky

Nov 24, 2004
Central
Hi everyone, does anybody have experience with Kodak B&W 400CN film? The one that can be C-41 processed. How does it compare with the Kodak Tri X?

Hi everyone, does anybody have experience with Kodak B&W 400CN film? The one that can be C-41 processed. How does it compare with the Kodak Tri X?

the only bonus of the 400CN is that it is cheaper to be developed by labs as it can be processed by C41.

but the tri-X 400 is a b/w film, with 'nicer looking gains' and is a firm favourite with most b/w fans.

tri-x 400 roxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx! :thumbsup:

If u are interested u can try Ilford XP2, same as Kodak 400CN a C-41 B&W film.

i personally quite like the kodak tcn, i find it gives you shades of gray tones rather than contrast black & white, if you like that kind of effect. and cheaper's always excellent when shooting film...

Hi everyone, does anybody have experience with Kodak B&W 400CN film?

I like it alot. Use with a #25 Red or #21 Orange and you can get some great skin tones.

i personally quite like the kodak tcn, i find it gives you shades of gray tones rather than contrast black & white, if you like that kind of effect. and cheaper's always excellent when shooting film...

You mean films like TriX do not give shades of gray?

You mean films like TriX only give "contrast black & white"?

if you like CN400 you'll probably like Fuji Neopan 400, has the smooth tonalities too, and nothing beats a nice proper black and white film...

You mean films like TriX do not give shades of gray?

You mean films like TriX only give "contrast black & white"?

i mean i find that true b&w films like tri-x are starker in contrast, tcn gives a more pleasing tonality overall. depends on what you like and what you want to get. perhaps what you can do is to shoot off a roll of tcn and tri-x and then compare the results.

i mean i find that true b&w films like tri-x are starker in contrast, tcn gives a more pleasing tonality overall. depends on what you like and what you want to get. perhaps what you can do is to shoot off a roll of tcn and tri-x and then compare the results.

Thank you!

Nah! I do not think I need to shoot off a roll of TCN and TriX to compare the results. I think I will just look at the hundreds of strips of Tri-X negatives, and tens of TCN (and XP2) in my archives.

I use Tri-X extensively, as well as HP5 and FP4. I had also used TCN. I still have several "bricks" of TCN for those occasions when I prefer them.

But I can tell you I can get "shades of gray" from my Tri-X.

And I can also get "contrast B&W" from TCN.

"Shades of gray" and "Contrast B&W" is a simple matter of darkroom printing. Do you do your own printing?

There are however differences in the images. Chromogenic B&W tends to have a "smoother" effect compared to the sivler grains. What one prefers is a matter of personal esthetics.

Thanks for your comments everyone!! Going to try out the 400CN that I just bought. :)

Thanks for your comments everyone!! Going to try out the 400CN that I just bought. :)

put a yellow-green filter on and rate this film between 200 to 250. These combinations give me the results I want from a c-41 film on kids photography. Lab scanned, uncropped, no adjustment. Have fun.

kelly-mouse.jpg

put a yellow-green filter on and rate this film between 200 to 250. These combinations give me the results I want from a c-41 film on kids photography. Lab scanned, uncropped, no adjustment. Have fun.

Thanks for the tip greg!! Does the yellow-green filter improve the contrast on skin tones?? I'm not quite sure of the effect of this filter.

Thanks for the tip greg!! Does the yellow-green filter improve the contrast on skin tones?? I'm not quite sure of the effect of this filter.
yellow green filter does wonders on asian skintone. Gives great smooth tonal range. Use in combination with the TCN, great big prints done traditionally can easily be achieved w/o much pain. Though I don't do scanning myself, TCN supposedly scans well too. So if you shoot wedding or birthdays, it's a great film to use.

Here's a nice article with photos on the differences between filters.

Using coloured filters with black & white film technique

Nice to keep as a guide on what filter to use depending on the colors in the scenery.

I personally prefer Yellow and Orange filters more often, and Ilford HP4 and HP5 film. As for "inflexibility" of processing, it is not a problem, as I process my own B&W or send it to someone who can.

I used Green and Yellow green too, but I find them a bit light on skin these days, and I'd like a darker, less smoothened texture. A matter of taste I guess.

I have used the Kodak B&W 400CN a few times, was quite happy with the results. I'll usually rate it at iso 800 to 1600 to bring out some of the graininess. Of course the flexibility for it to be processed at any lab is a plus point.

Another of my favourite is the Fuji Neopan 1600.

Status
Not open for further replies.