Black & white Film Processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

anavrin

Sep 6, 2002
Visit site
Hi all,

Stanley Lim has been approached many times by many people to teach B & W film processing...So he is doing a survey to see if there are any of u who are interested if he is to conduct a course on B & W film processing..

I myself is an avid B & W film processor... I have also learnt a great deal from Stanley on processing B & W film..Stanley has developed his own method of developing film.. his special method does not require a darkroom yet can still process film in a fast and efficient manner, anywhere u like!!

He is also willing to teach pushing and pulling of film processing and developing different formats like 120 mm format

some advantage of learning to process your own film is the joy of seeing your own pictures appear before ur own eyes..other than that.. u will also learn the basics of how light affects film....Processing ur own film is also cheaper then sending out to shops who may also destroy ur film if they develop wrongly

Anyone interested pls include ur name :bsmilie: :

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

1)jherek
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

1)jherek
2)wantunn
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Anyone interested pls include ur name :

1)jherek
2)wantunn
3)gohfigure
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

dun mean to suggest anything or be a spoiler but :-

actually u dun need a dark room to develope negs...just a dark bag.... the rest of the downstream processing is self contained and just simple to do lar..

dark room is only for printing the pictures. Nothing beats HANDS on...so IMHO, u can read the darkroom process and hands on and u will learn much more

cheers

PL

will he go into zonal topic? i find some simple way to do simple "zone" processing will roll film like 135 & 120 but perhaps there are better ods.

plsoong said:
dun mean to suggest anything or be a spoiler but :-

actually u dun need a dark room to develope negs...just a dark bag.... the rest of the downstream processing is self contained and just simple to do lar..

dark room is only for printing the pictures. Nothing beats HANDS on...so IMHO, u can read the darkroom process and hands on and u will learn much more

cheers

PL

I know you good intention but no matter how you follow the instructions, you will never ever get to learn the real thing. Stanley Lim does not only teach how to develope only. We are not printing but processing film only. I think it's a misunderstanding on anavrin said about no need a dark room. I will ask him to edit on that part.

Have any of you encounter problems with the negative, temperature, developer, fixer and so on. I am sure you do. I have had many bad experience when I first started by myself. It sure beats the learning from an expert.

I can tell you that learning how to shoot is easy but composing a shot is different again. Same goes with developing. How to ensure you develope your negatives properly, safely and the right way. Reeling the film is not as easy as you think when you still new to it. So our courses is for those who wants to learn hands on. Not some instructions. Who will be able to explain to you if you really encounter a problem? Nobody.

You maybe an expert in developing films but not to some of the CS members. Thank you for your suggestion but I hope you will be able to understand our efforts in trying to make it easier for some to learn. So pls do not OT here if you are not taking our courses.

(Answer to capa)
As for the Zones System (develope by Ansel Adams), basically it's all about compacting (pull) or expansion (push) of the film. This is what you call the Parametric Curves where you will know your own film timing, depending on what developer, dilution and temperature you use.

Thank you .........

Pro Image said:
I know you good intention but no matter how you follow the instructions, you will never ever get to learn the real thing. Stanley Lim does not only teach how to develope only. We are not printing but processing film only. I think it's a misunderstanding on anavrin said about no need a dark room. I will ask him to edit on that part.

Have any of you encounter problems with the negative, temperature, developer, fixer and so on. I am sure you do. I have had many bad experience when I first started by myself. It sure beats the learning from an expert.

I can tell you that learning how to shoot is easy but composing a shot is different again. Same goes with developing. How to ensure you develope your negatives properly, safely and the right way. Reeling the film is not as easy as you think when you still new to it. So our courses is for those who wants to learn hands on. Not some instructions. Who will be able to explain to you if you really encounter a problem? Nobody.

You maybe an expert in developing films but not to some of the CS members. Thank you for your suggestion but I hope you will be able to understand our efforts in trying to make it easier for some to learn. So pls do not OT here if you are not taking our courses.

(Answer to capa)
As for the Zones System (develope by Ansel Adams), basically it's all about compacting (pull) or expansion (push) of the film. This is what you call the Parametric Curves where you will know your own film timing, depending on what developer, dilution and temperature you use.

Thank you .........

huh?!

all i mentioned was that u dun really need a dark room lar...cept printing. why u so easily get so worked up one?!

BTW i din ahve problems when i first started u noe y? ...cos in Electron microscopy film developement and printing, we are taught oredi by the people who do black and whites liao...

eh..no offence intended lar...

sigh...some people :sweat:

plsoong said:
huh?!

all i mentioned was that u dun really need a dark room lar...cept printing. why u so easily get so worked up one?!

BTW i din ahve problems when i first started u noe y? ...cos in Electron microscopy film developement and printing, we are taught oredi by the people who do black and whites liao...

eh..no offence intended lar...

sigh...some people :sweat:

Sorry if I offended you but thank you.........No offence here too! ;)

Just misunderstood your facts......

... is there a charge to attend this? Does it open to non-clubsnapers? There used have such initiatives at Offstone called Pass It On...if you don't mind, I would like to post your link in offstone so offstoners could also benefit from it. Let me know and thanks for the effort.

greg said:
... is there a charge to attend this? Does it open to non-clubsnapers? There used have such initiatives at Offstone called Pass It On...if you don't mind, I would like to post your link in offstone so offstoners could also benefit from it. Let me know and thanks for the effort.

Yes you can post this on Offstone! Thanks!

Anyone interested pls include ur name :

1)jherek
2)wantunn
3)gohfigure
4)vivientan
5)Bangkok x2
6)
7)
8)

Pro Image said:
Yes you can post this on Offstone! Thanks!
so is this free?

Hello, due to the good response, Stanley has decided to conduct the Black & White Film Processing Course himself..

There will be a total of 4 lessons, with 2 theory and 2 practical lessons
The brief of the course will be teaching on different film characteristics of different brands, taking pictures by pushing and pulling the film and how to process the film to correct the pushing and pulling, how to read the over/normal/under developed negative, how to maintain ur negatives and so on...

The cost of the course will be $250
We will be giving each participant 1 set of processing kit consisting of :

1 Kaiser Processing Tank with 2 plastic reels
1 Kaiser Measuring Cylinder 250ml size
1 Kaiser Graduated Beaker
1 Kaiser Film wiper
1 Kaiser Film Cliper (Top & Bottom)
1 Kaiser Stirring Rod
1 Dark bag
1 Film Picker
1 scissors

all these items are worth $140
This is to enable each participant to have his or her own set of developing kit to use during and after the course has completed. This kit is small and light so it can be brought around easily.
Notes and Chemicals to be used for this course will be provided

Lessons will begin once all 8 slots are full and lessons will commence every thursday. Anyone who is interested but cannot make it on thur pls PM me and we can work something out. This course is suitable for those who are developing interest in developing black and white film and for beginners who do not have any processing kit yet. IF u consider that the processing kit will b urs to keep after the course and chemicals are provided during course itself...its actually quite worth it !!!

Any inquiries feel free to post here or PM me and i will try my best to respond. Any queries can also refer to Joanne(98583502)
If I have left out anything, pls inform me and i will edit any errors/lobangs made..
Thank you

P.S. Sorry greg !!

So I will start the list again :
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

when will the course commence? i will only be able to attend if the whole course ends before the 2nd last week of feb

fooey said:
when will the course commence? i will only be able to attend if the whole course ends before the 2nd last week of feb

hello,

Once our slots are full or near full, then we will begin the course...

For all those who have signed up for rhe b & w processing course, the lessons will begin on 20th April (tuesday) thank you

Hi those still interested in this course, pls pm me.

Or you can call Joanne 98583502.

1)Bangkok
2)New Zealand
3)Alan
4)-to be confirm-
5)-to be confirm-
6)-to be confirm-
7)

Status
Not open for further replies.