Black & white face portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took during a shoot, but feel that is not good. Still lack of something. I need some pointers/comments on it. Thanks!

64784899.jpg

The lighting is not so bad, maybe just add a little fill on the left, but only a little. Her eyes are a little dark, but I don't see that as a problem. I actually think it is a very nice portrait, witha great expression on the models face. The only complaint that I have (and this is a personal preference not a critcism) is I would like to see a greater tonal range across the face.

denniskee said:
cant see her eyes lay.
lighting on the face is abit not here not there.

Hmmm, I dun know about her eyes. I can see quite clear of her eyes just a bit dark.
I do have problems on using lighting in shoot. Ambient lights and flash...hard to gauge. Thanks for the comments!

cyber_m0nkey said:
The lighting is not so bad, maybe just add a little fill on the left, but only a little. Her eyes are a little dark, but I don't see that as a problem. I actually think it is a very nice portrait, witha great expression on the models face. The only complaint that I have (and this is a personal preference not a critcism) is I would like to see a greater tonal range across the face.

Talking about tonal range... How to do it? How to have a greater tonal range especially for Black & White? Any guides?

Your black and white lacks contrasts, it's flat, and hence, boring.

Some fill light from the front, esp for the eyes will improve the picture.

More shadow to the left will give that additional contrast and depth I am looking for.

carnage3630 said:
Talking about tonal range... How to do it? How to have a greater tonal range especially for Black & White? Any guides?

What conversion technique are you using?

Deadpoet said:
Your black and white lacks contrasts, it's flat, and hence, boring.

Some fill light from the front, esp for the eyes will improve the picture.

More shadow to the left will give that additional contrast and depth I am looking for.

Thanks for the pointers!:)

carnage3630 said:
Conversion Technique? Convert to B&W using PS -> Desaturation. Is this what you are asking?

If all you're doing is desaturating, then that explains the lack of contrast and tone. Explore some of the other methods available for better, more contralable results. I personally use the 'Channel Mixer' method most of the time, although there are 2 or 3 others as well.

See this thread for BW conversion.

Please contribute to the thread if you have any other method.

Thanks.

carnage3630 said:
Conversion Technique? Convert to B&W using PS -> Desaturation. Is this what you are asking?

Status
Not open for further replies.