Black stain when looking thru view finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisonic

Oct 22, 2007
hi guys,

got myself a 50d, and found that there is a small black stain when i look thru the viewfinder.

try using the blower to blow the sensor, but the stain still persist.

any recommendations?

The black stain is likely on the mirror, prism or the lens (if you only see it after lens is mounted). Depending on the size, and your comfort level, you might need to get it cleaned. If it doesn't affect the pictures, you might want to live with it.

Pls don't blow onto the sensor, more dust will accumulate and specks of black spots will appear in the pictures taken.

The black stain is likely on the mirror, prism or the lens (if you only see it after lens is mounted). Depending on the size, and your comfort level, you might need to get it cleaned. If it doesn't affect the pictures, you might want to live with it.

Pls don't blow onto the sensor, more dust will accumulate and specks of black spots will appear in the pictures taken.

hi,

remove the lens, and the stain is still there thru the viewfinder... cannot stand the stain.. so do i need to bring to CSC to get it cleaned?

Last edited:
Does it appear in the pictures?

If yes = sensor cleaning
If no = general cleaning (prism, mirror)

Does it appear in the pictures?

If yes = sensor cleaning
If no = general cleaning (prism, mirror)

tried a few pics, the stain does not appear, remove the lens, and look thru the viewfinder, the black stain is still there..

so i need to bring down to CSC for the cleaning? or DIY?

You can look into the mirror, etc to locate the dirt. If it's on the mirror, it's easy to clean. Anywhere else would be more difficult. Do you know how to remove the focusing screen? Do you have a strong blower?

You can look into the mirror, etc to locate the dirt. If it's on the mirror, it's easy to clean. Anywhere else would be more difficult. Do you know how to remove the focusing screen? Do you have a strong blower?

nope.. in tis case, i think i better bring to CSC to take alook? safer rather than i DIY?? too heartpain if i did something wrong...

nope.. in tis case, i think i better bring to CSC to take alook? safer rather than i DIY?? too heartpain if i did something wrong...

Just get CSC to clean it with cost if the stain very annoying to you...

Dust is everywhere so soon or later it will come back again.... :bsmilie:

Just get CSC to clean it with cost if the stain very annoying to you...

Dust is everywhere so soon or later it will come back again.... :bsmilie:

I agree.
I also had the same prob as you last time.

I went to 2nd hand camera shops, they told me if it's under warranty, then bring it to CSC.

why would you run the risk of spoiling your camera by trying to clean it yourself! don't do that!

use a good blower and blower on the mirror... prism! :)

The more you blow the more dust stuck in....

agree - don't clean it yourself
there are websites that teach you to - but don't
i did - and regretted it
i took my camera back to the agents - and ended up replacing something - can't remember what - but it only cost me $50
they cleaned it for me - and the dots stopped appearing in my pics - but i was so pissed every time i looked through the viewfinder i decided it was easier just to replace whatever needed to be replaced
@ the end - depends on what kind of person you are - if you are OCD like me and cannot tahan having imperfections in teh camera - then replace/service
otherwise - if it doesn't affect your shots and you can live with it - then don't
but don't clean it yourself (that's how i ended up needing to go back - made an OK situation much worse)

folks thanks for the feedback...

decide to go to CSC to let them deal with it..

sensor cleaning is not that hard, but this isn't a sensor problem since you are seeing it through viewfinder. the ones who suggested sensor cleaning either did not read your initial post, or they have no idea what the structure of dslr is like.

anyways, query has been answered.. and advice is, dirt will always be around. so if it doesn't affect picture taking.. like someone used to tell me...

not itchy, don't scratch

I agree.
I also had the same prob as you last time.

I went to 2nd hand camera shops, they told me if it's under warranty, then bring it to CSC.

You mean if it's under warranty still, you could let them clean for free? hmm...

i don't think warranty offers you a free cleaning service..

Status
Not open for further replies.