Black Spot - Help Please!

Debbie

Jul 17, 2010
Holland
I have noticed that there is a small black spot (maybe dust or something) when I look through my eyepiece. I have cleaned my eyepiece, it is not on the lense either, so I took the lense off and had a look through the eyepiece, it is still there! So I am guessing it is internal. How do I fix this? I know from reading other forums that you shouldn't mess with the inside but this is annoying me. It doesn't affect the photos! Can anyone tell me where this spot is likely to be and how do I clean it.

Cheers!! :)

It sounds like dust on the viewfinder.

Options
1. Ignore it
2. Send to CSC for cleaning

:D

Assuming yours is a SLR, my guess is dust on the mirror. Just blow.

if it does not appear in your images when shot at very small apertures.
it's either on the mirror / focusing screen / superimpose / viewfinder

take your blower and blow the mirror and focusing screen, and see if its still around.
if the spot is still there and if your dslr's focusing screen is easily removed, you can remove it and blow the superimpose
if the spot is still there, then it's in your viewfinder, and you have to send it to the service center to have it cleaned.

becareful when u blow the internal with your blower, always face the mount of the camera down, and blowing up so as to minimize the chances of the dust going back in, and onto the sensor. And make sure when you blow, don't let the tip touch anything inside.

if it's in the viewfinder, try to leave with it, till it gets worse. As even after you clean it, the dust will come back again..

most likely is just dust on focusing screen, is it won't affect your images, just leave it at it is, you may feel eye sore and try to clear it yourself.. here is the warning:

do not try to clear focusing screen and mirror yourself if you don't know how to do it.
the focusing screen is a glass or plastic with matte surface, it scratches easier, once it scratched and it will be permanent.
the reflex mirror has silver coating at the front, not at the back like most mirrors, so there is no protection, using solvent on sliver will leave permanent marks, using tools on mirror and you will scratch the silver coating easily, and you may accidentally push the mirror out of place and cause focusing error.

so the best bid is just to give a few blows, if it is still there, learn to live with it. soon or later you will not pay attention on it.

hope this help.

Thanks everyone, I have used the blower and the spot is still there, it doesn't affect the picture so I am just going to leave it! "Don't fix it if its not broken" I suppose!! If it gets worse or starts to affect the pictures I will take it to canon.

Happy Snapping!! :)

Thanks everyone, I have used the blower and the spot is still there, it doesn't affect the picture so I am just going to leave it! "Don't fix it if its not broken" I suppose!! If it gets worse or starts to affect the pictures I will take it to canon.

Happy Snapping!! :)

Or you can send it into canon for a cleaning.

yes, leave it alone.

not worth the potential heartache later on if you scratch or smudge your focusing screen.

take it from someone who has screwed up before. luckily it was only my film camera. :bsmilie:

I had e same prob & understand its a real pain & distracting.

At first, it was on my mirror so I started blowing. Then it landed on the focusing screen. It did not affect the pix but I chose to return to CSC. They did a good job w/in 5mins (I'm e first walk-in). They undo e clip holding e focusing screen & blew it clean. No charge & I applauded their services.

Learn to live with it. I'm watching my dust spots moving around :) Today this corner, tomorrow there..