Black reflective surfaces - macro photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

isaacp81

Sep 1, 2007
Just wondering how those black reflective surfaces are achieved in macro photography...
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/08/on-assignment-shoot-your-shiny-new.html
strobists suggests using polished black granite tiles, but i'm pretty convinced it's quite hard to get a single tile here in sg.

I've tried using clear wrap and even.. transparent folders (both with black paper underneath). Both require loads of lighting to make them reflective enough...What would you guys suggest/use as a replacement?

Thanks for the input guys :D

you can try black acrylics, or a piece of glass over a black velvet / cloth

Black Acrylic :thumbsup:. Only must be careful as it scratches easily. If you stay in the East, can check out Dama (www.dama.com.sg). You can choose what thickness you want and they can cut to your size.

Hmm.. the east would be a tad too far for me. Would i be able to find black acrylics at art friend? Or perhaps some type of glossy cardboard.. that might work too i guess?

don't think glass would be a good idea... you'ld probably get double reflection...

acrylic is the usual thing... but as mentioned, the usual ones available scratch easily...

that's right, smoke tinted glass with black velvet,
of course, if you product is small, get a black acrylic instead, so double reflection will not be an issue.

would a mirror with a black background work?

would a mirror with a black background work?
you will have double reflection, but there is a type of "Front Surface Mirror" which photographers use, the silver is coated at the front of the glass instead behind the glass, which will not have double reflection.

Status
Not open for further replies.